Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

cyclists are idiots

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

cyclists are idiots

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 08:01 PM
TVS_SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cyclists are idiots

I do not get upset when people yell at me from cars or tell me to get off the road. Many have had bad experiences with cyclists...

Case in point, there are a large number of cyclists that ruin it for the rest of us. Its kinda like the general population, there are smart people but alot just dont have much going on upstairs.

I have a great story to tell... I am an avid cyclist as well as an auto enthusiast, and this past weekend was the woodward dream cruise in suburban detroit. The largest carshow / cruise in the world. Its great, lots of car that many people put significant amount of time and money into. Its a 4 lane road each way and the right 2 lanes are 'cruising lanes', which means you average about 5-6mph and people are sitting on the curb watching cars go by. (this event is about 10 miles long)

Then cue the idiot cyclists. many were going the wrong way trying to squeeze between the expensive cars and the curb/people. Running red lights. weaving around. I even saw one guy try to squeeze into a space far to small and had to put his hand on the side of a classic car to keep himself upright.

Here is an example of the traffic for about 10 miles... and they were squeezing between the right lane and the curb. Keep in mind the cyclists were moving much faster than traffic. Alot of these guys put their heart and soul into making the cars perfect... the last thing they need is a cyclist running into the side, scratching it, etc..

But on a lighter note, i did see the coolest multiperson bicycle ever... and they were rolling with traffic and acting like a car. And guess what.. everyone loved it!!!

Old 08-17-09, 08:16 PM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
How you can look at that road, or any road, and conclude that it is the bikes that are ruining anything is amazing. If it wasn't for cars, cyclists could pretty much ride however they wanted and it wouldn't be a problem. Right? So remove the big, dangerous, polluting cars from the scenario and...we'd all be better off!

I love vintage cars. Drive my 40 year old Italian every day in fact. But if my buddies and I were blocking the whole freakin' road, I certainly wouldn't expect cyclists to wait patiently behind us.
Old 08-17-09, 08:23 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Were these cyclist there for the 'show' or were they just trying to get somewhere? If the later why shouldn't they try and get on with it and pass the jam.

That said I wouldn't travel in the right gutter to pass, but between the rows of cars - there appears to be a nice clean path there in that first photo.
Old 08-17-09, 08:47 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motorist complain that bicyclists impede traffic during the STP, It seems the table was turned in this case. I feel sorry for the enthusiast that worries about a hand print on his paint job.
Old 08-17-09, 08:48 PM
TVS_SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they were definately there to see the show. on any other day you would be very hard pressed to even see one cyclist on this road. They were trying to see more of the show quicker.
Old 08-17-09, 08:52 PM
TVS_SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Northwestrider
Motorist complain that bicyclists impede traffic during the STP, It seems the table was turned in this case. I feel sorry for the enthusiast that worries about a hand print on his paint job.
ugh.. and you wonder why bike enthusiasts and car enthusiasts can never get along. am i just the lone ranger here?

Its not the hand print, its the scratching, body denting, thousands of dollar wasting stuipd mistakes... And yes the tables were turned in this case and showed that the cyclists during this event were no different than motorists on an average day. They hated having cars "impede" them.

Last edited by TVS_SS; 08-17-09 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-17-09, 08:53 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Originally Posted by TVS_SS
they were definately there to see the show. on any other day you would be very hard pressed to even see one cyclist on this road. They were trying to see more of the show quicker.
So perhaps these were not the folks who cycle everyday, instead digging bike out of garage filling tires for first time in many months just to be a fast pedestrian for a day.
Old 08-17-09, 08:54 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

They hated having cars "impede" them.
Now you contradict yourself. If they were there just for the show, how could they feel impeded let alone hating if the point was to see all those vehicles they were passing and admiring.
Old 08-17-09, 09:04 PM
TVS_SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
So perhaps these were not the folks who cycle everyday, instead digging bike out of garage filling tires for first time in many months just to be a fast pedestrian for a day.
Exactly my point... its the "few" that ruin it for the "many"
Old 08-17-09, 09:28 PM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Everyday it's the many (cars) that ruin it for the few (cyclists/pedestrians).
Old 08-17-09, 09:31 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
... its the "few" that ruin it for the "many"
Somehow, I don't feel that way at all. There's a lot of cyclists in my area that I personally feel could exhibit much better riding habits, but no way do I feel that I've been victimized by their actions. Most motorists are willing to work with me as I with them.
Old 08-17-09, 09:32 PM
SeattleShaun
Team Fat Boy

Bikes: Bridgestone MB3 Commuter, Surly Long Haul Trucker, and Custom Ti roadbike by High Ti Cycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get so tired of those selfish motorists staging their critical mass drives clogging up the roads and slowing everyone down...
Old 08-17-09, 09:35 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Hey, look! It's Motorist Mass!

But what's new about that?

-Kurt

Old 08-17-09, 11:10 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
ugh.. and you wonder why bike enthusiasts and car enthusiasts can never get along. am i just the lone ranger here?

Its not the hand print, its the scratching, body denting, thousands of dollar wasting stuipd mistakes... ...
I would classify you as, far more the car enthusiasts. And one that has a very slanted sense of balance.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...4&postcount=32
Old 08-18-09, 02:13 AM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Next year get a parade permit and have the road blocked.
Old 08-18-09, 06:19 AM
chs4

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuterRun
Next year get a parade permit and have the road blocked.
I couldn't find any specifics, but based on the size of this event I would venture to guess that it is permitted and operated much like a parade. From their website:
Today, the Woodward Dream Cruise is the world’s largest one-day automotive event, drawing 1.5 million people and 40,000 classic cars each year from around the globe—from as far away as New Zealand, Australia, Japan and the former Soviet Union. North American cruisers from California, Georgia, Canada and all points in between caravan to Metro Detroit to participate in what has become, for many, an annual rite of summer.
If this is the case, then any vehicle not participating in the event (cyclist or otherwise) should not be interspersed with the parade vehicles.
Old 08-18-09, 06:57 AM
hnsq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If a scratch on your car costs you thousands of dollars, you are the idiot for throwing money away on something like that.
Old 08-18-09, 07:03 AM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The OP's point is valid. Those bicyclists were interfering where they shouldn't have been.

Share the road works both ways. No one needs to tell me that that usually means that the cars ought to be more polite to the bicycles.

But this is one of the fairly rare cases where the opposite is true.
Old 08-18-09, 07:06 AM
chs4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hnsq
If a scratch on your car costs you thousands of dollars, you are the idiot for throwing money away on something like that.
It's nice to see that you are the arbiter of all society's values.

With such disrespect for others we wonder why motorists are not enamored with us.
Old 08-18-09, 07:10 AM
hnsq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chs4
It's nice to see that you are the arbiter of all society's values.

With such disrespect for others we wonder why motorists are not enamored with us.
I respect cars when I am on the road (not because I like cars, but because I think I should respect other people).

This is BikeForums though, not BikeAndCarForums. I can be honest here.

A car has never had to alter its path in any way because of my riding.
Old 08-18-09, 07:30 AM
srmatte
smatte

Bikes: diamondback - sherwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hnsq
Throwing money away? You obviously don't know jack about classic cars. A lot of these cars are collector items and are worth big bucks. A '70 mint Cuda could easily bring in 50K. My brother has been an auto enthusiast for many years and he makes decent money doing this as a hobby. He'd say your the idiot not putting your free time into a hobby that makes money, he does to me.

Big difference from putting a scratch in someones Honda Accord and a '57 Chevy Bel Air. Although you are still disrespecting someone else's property.
Old 08-18-09, 07:47 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
ach, it's probably the ONE DAY a lot of Detroiters feel conditions are amicable to riding a bike on Woodward Ave....... don't dis Detroiters for getting out there to check it out on their bikes.

were there any reports of heinous damages or bike/car 'thousands of dollars' accidents or is this just hype**********

i don't think its' a 'great story,' i think it's kind of lame.

if people are going to sit in a exhaust filled, slow moving motorcade with 400,000 other owners of heavily polluting 'classics', they had better realize the roads are public rights of way for all to travel including bicyclists. it kind of sounds like business as usual.... cars jamming it up, all proud of their 'ride'

Last edited by Bekologist; 08-18-09 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-18-09, 07:52 AM
hnsq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by srmatte
Throwing money away? You obviously don't know jack about classic cars. A lot of these cars are collector items and are worth big bucks. A '70 mint Cuda could easily bring in 50K. My brother has been an auto enthusiast for many years and he makes decent money doing this as a hobby. He'd say your the idiot not putting your free time into a hobby that makes money, he does to me.

Big difference from putting a scratch in someones Honda Accord and a '57 Chevy Bel Air. Although you are still disrespecting someone else's property.
You are right - I don't know anything about classic cars, and thank god for that. The idea of a 'collector car' just seems stupid. That would be like hanging onto an old bike that you can't really ride - it just doesn't make sense.

Spending cash on anything 'vintage' or 'classic' just seems stupid to me.
Old 08-18-09, 08:08 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by srmatte

Your brother may make money at restoring older vehicles, but my personal experiences, as well as watching others, I'd have to say that the majority of car enthusiasts do not and are well into the red ink if and when they sell their vehicle.

If a car enthusiast is worried about their classic/vintage car being scratched or dented, the open road or city streets is not the place to take it, keep it in the garage, trailer, or at a car show in a roped off stall, even those are no guarantees.

The only real guarantee that I see against having one's classic/vintage car from being scratched or damaged is not to have one at all.
Old 08-18-09, 08:12 AM
Pscyclepath
LCI #1853

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BikeSnob NYC had probably the bet take on this incident yesterday... the car cultists' obsession with their paint jobs and finishes means that they are usually more than careful about striving not to run into anything -- including cyclists ;-)

I'll donate a bottle of Turtle Wax to that cause...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.