Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Very Slow Leak After Using Skabs

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-18, 10:28 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts

I have a very slow leak after using a Skabs patch and now have to top the tyre up once a week when I used to be once every 3 / 4 weeks ... has anyone else had similar and bar buying a new inner tube any ideas on a fix?

I doubt they'd peel off easily and may end up doing more damage to the tube in the process so was thinking I might put a glued patch over the top of it unless anybody has any other better solutions.
Old 10-26-18, 10:54 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Have you submerged the tube to see if the leak is actually where the patch is? If it is, I'd probably just get another tube. I don't mind filling tires once a week but chances are if that patch is leaking, there's a good chance it will get worse.
Old 10-26-18, 11:30 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Pre-glued patches are generally unreliable. I don't use them anymore.
Old 10-26-18, 11:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18431 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Have you submerged the tube to see if the leak is actually where the patch is? If it is, I'd probably just get another tube.
^^^This^^^

/thread
Old 10-26-18, 11:49 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Find the leak, patch the leak. If you can't patch the leak because it's where the Skab is and you can't get it off, then get a new tube and don't use Skabs anymore.

If I only had to air my tires up once a week, I'd be completely happy with that. I lose about 10 psi per day with butyl tubes.
Old 10-26-18, 12:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
It should get You off the roadside

Then you take the time to do a proper patch job..

Originally Posted by 5teve
Yea just bring a spare tube, which can be the one you patched properly,
the last time you got a puncture..
Old 10-26-18, 12:32 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
I carry skabs in my saddle bag, I did use one after I'd already punctured two tubes. It got me home but I changed out the tube when I got home. I assume they are for temp purposes only, but it sure was nice to have when I needed it.
Old 10-26-18, 01:11 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Old 10-26-18, 01:18 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
I Never use them preglued patches, don't know if they're good or not,,,, I do my own glueing,,,,,,, carry extra inner tube do your patching later,,
Old 10-26-18, 03:10 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I recently repaired a tube for a friend that used a Skab patch unsuccessfully. The patch left a residue that confounded a real repair, but acetone took care of it. Now it's well patched with Rema TipTop. This was my first experience with Skabs and I am definitely not impressed.
Old 10-26-18, 03:19 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I guess I'm just lazy old man. I simple replace the tube. The first thing I do when buying a bike with a different tube size is buy 4-6 quality tubes and store them at home keeping one in my trunk pack on the bike. If I get a flat I simply change the tube. I carry a patch kit but have never used it. In the event I get 2 flats on a ride I will have it to use it. I'm a fan of long slow rides and unfortunately can't rely on anyone to rescue me, and rideshares are not around most of my area. So I need to make reasonably sure I can keep my tires aired up.
Old 10-26-18, 03:28 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
I guess I'm just lazy old man. I simple replace the tube. The first thing I do when buying a bike with a different tube size is buy 4-6 quality tubes and store them at home keeping one in my trunk pack on the bike. If I get a flat I simply change the tube. I carry a patch kit In the event I get 2 flats on a ride I will have it to use it. .
+1

If I get motivated,
I repair it at home with a glue patch.
Old 10-26-18, 04:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
Know good spare tubes are my first line of flat repair. The patch kit (glue type) is the back up. I save my flatted tubes and hold a patching party in the winter. Andy
Old 10-26-18, 05:43 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
skabs are simply to get you home in a pinch.

way back when when glue was real I had no problems riding patched tubes.

but the "Politically correct" safe glue that now comes in patches is almost as worthless as scabs. It was much better when we could Light the glue on fire and vulcanize our patches on.
Old 10-26-18, 05:54 PM
Witterings

No I haven't submerged it yet but realise I need to and will do so over the weekend ... although the leak has been so slow I wondered if I'd notice it or not even submerged in water but will find out over the weekend.

I've always been a believer in just gluing on a patch and have done loads of them but when I was in the bike shop thought I may as well try some and the last ride was quite a long one when I knew others wanted to get back as they were going out for the evening.
It's the 1st time I've ever tried a pre glued rather than the conventional and one of the other riders had 4 flats in a very short period of time and he used the same and has had trouble free repairs so thought I may as well try them.

I do carry a spare tube as well but they never fold back as small as when they're new so tend to carry it in case I get a an un-repairable rip.
Old 10-26-18, 05:58 PM
CO_Steve

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings

I do carry a spare tube as well but they never fold back as small as when they're new so tend to carry it in case I get a an un-repairable rip.
Me too. Back in my commuting days I'd always patch the tube on the road unless I had to use the spare one. Of course when you ride every day that leads to the tube with 35 patches.
Old 10-26-18, 06:04 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,528 Times in 2,865 Posts
Self-adhesive patches are a temporary fix to get you home, regardless of the mfgr's claims otherwise.
For a permanent fix, use Rema patches and Rema vulcanizing fluid.
Old 10-27-18, 03:01 AM
Witterings

Originally Posted by CO_Steve
Me too. Back in my commuting days I'd always patch the tube on the road unless I had to use the spare one. Of course when you ride every day that leads to the tube with 35 patches.
I was getting absolutely loads and then changed to puncture protected tyres and they stopped,

I've only recently swapped the tyres again as I was doing a long ish road charity ride and wanted more road friendly but will probably swap them back again fairly soon as I'd rather that bit slower and no punctures especially during the winter..... although I have enjoyed the faster rolling,smoother and quieter road tyre.
Old 10-27-18, 05:51 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I take the time to do a good repair because it's a real pita to take a wheel off. I don't carry the tools to do so.
Old 10-27-18, 04:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 4,009 Times in 2,676 Posts
Pumping once a week seems like a reasonable amount of time, that is what I typically tell my customers that they will pump around once a week.

I hate patches generally so I just replace the tube generally and occasionally do a proper glue and patch job once I get home.
Old 10-27-18, 05:30 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Peel-and-stick patches are a good ‘get me home’ repair that can, under the right conditions, be faster than a tube swap. The trick to a lasting repair is to make sure that the entire surface of the patch is evenly adhered to the tube before you try to reinflate it.
I have had good results with the Cannondale branded ‘Prolong’ patches. They’re translucent and a little stretchy so you can see if they’re all-the-way stuck to the tube.
Old 10-27-18, 07:18 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 139 Posts
I've had bad luck with Skabs, but I've found Park Super Patches work about as well as a glued on patch.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 10-27-18 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-28-18, 04:26 AM
Witterings

I did submerge it and there is the tiniest of leaks ... although you struggle to get actually a bubble out of it so guess that's why it lasts a week.

The punctures right on the seam which sometimes makes it hard to get a perfect seal, I may mess around and see if I can either peel this one off or put another patch over the top but I'll probably just replace the tube and stick to gluing them in the future.
Old 10-28-18, 09:01 PM
mightymax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have discovered this about Skab patches. They are not a permanent repair, at least for me. Each time I have used Skabs, I assumed the tube was fixed. Always after several days the tires were still solid. Then seemingly suddenly the tire is flat! Upon pulling the tube to see where the new puncture is. it always comes back to the Skab now leaking slowly.
I always like to go with a new tube. I have at least a dozen punctured tubes waiting for me to get the skill and or right product to produce a tube that stays fixed.
When I was a kid we did not have a lot of money. When my Dad fixed my flats he used a vulcanizing patch. He would patch the puncture and then take a match and light the patch on fire! The fire would go all around the patch and then my Dad plunged it into a bucket of water. That sucker was fixed and stayed fixed! I had inner tubes with sometimes up to six patches on them! I wish they still had patches like these.

Max Bryant