Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1970's Cinellli stem and bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-17, 05:17 PM
elguicho 
Restore, ride, repeat...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone! I haven't been active on the forum in a while (mostly because I end up lusting for bikes and spending money), but some of you know me personally and I thought this group would enjoy this bike.

This is a 70's Cinelli Supercorsa that found me. I've been done looking for bikes for a while but my father-in-law called me and said I should check this one out. I guess one of the employees at his local Trader Joe's noticed he always rides his bike to the store and mentioned she had an old bike that belonged to her husband's grandfather and they were looking to get rid of it... Long story short the bike now lives with me

It is still a work in progress but I cleaned it and got to ride it a couple of times already. I'm waiting for hoods and then I'll replace cables.

I guess what I find most interesting about the bike is the stem.. I have never seen a Cinelli stem with a badge and can't seem to find another one online. There are no other markings on the stem besides the badge. Maybe there's writing under the badge but I don't want to mess with it. Because of the details on the badge I don't think it is a reproduction. I know the original owner saved a lot of money to get the bike just like he wanted so maybe it was an expensive option...? I took the bike to Wastyn cycles where it was originally purchased and Mr. Wastyn said he remember seeing those stems but he had no additional insights. Any info is appreciated.

Old 12-01-17, 05:18 PM
elguicho 
Restore, ride, repeat...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I should say that I have never seen an "alloy" cinelli stem with a badge
Old 12-01-17, 05:52 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
I've never seen the badge affixed to an alloy stem, either. I wonder if it was a cobble job. If so, it looks pretty good! Btw, are the brake caliper arms stamped or bare?

That's one beauty of a survivor!

DD
Old 12-01-17, 05:54 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
OMG. That is nice. Good snag.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 12-01-17, 06:19 PM
elguicho 
Restore, ride, repeat...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I've never seen the badge affixed to an alloy stem, either. I wonder if it was a cobble job. If so, it looks pretty good! Btw, are the brake caliper arms stamped or bare?

That's one beauty of a survivor!

DD

I’m not a campy expert but I had never heard of the plain calipers. This is what mine look like. Probably nothing special.
Old 12-01-17, 07:28 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Most likely the stem was custom by the selling shop.
Only mess with it if you require a different length stem.

"no name" calipers were a first year of production thing. As the frame shows latter details I would not expect them.
You did well. The seat post and saddle are very uncommon, Ideale… (note Cinelli owned Unicanitor saddles)
Special Ideale alloy clamp for a plain seat post.

I think it deserves another set of wheels, high flange hubs, Fiamme tubular rims (red or yellow label), high quality tubular tires. What is one there is practical, not commanding. Red toe straps- Binda preferred.
Old 12-01-17, 07:35 PM
elguicho 
Restore, ride, repeat...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Only mess with it if you require a different length stem.

"no name" calipers were a first year of production thing. As the frame shows latter details I would not expect them.
You did well. The seat post and saddle are very uncommon, Ideale… (note Cinelli owned Unicanitor saddles)
Special Ideale alloy clamp for a plain seat post.

I think it deserves another set of wheels, high flange hubs, Fiamme tubular rims (red or yellow label), high quality tubular tires. What is one there is practical, not commanding. Red toe straps- Binda preferred.
I actually thought about selling the saddle because I know they are highly coveted by collectors but it is pretty comfortable and it was part of the original owner’s vision.

I guess you are right about the wheels but I’m really liking the ride of the panaracer tires. For some reason I don’t feel inclined to make this bike completely period correct.
Old 12-01-17, 08:00 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 491 Posts
Absolutely beautiful, and almost identical to my garage find. I wouldn't change a thing on that bike. The stem badge looks to me to be a modified head badge...certainly not something Cinelli ever did.

MY Cinelli as found:
Cinelli as found.jpg
Old 12-01-17, 08:19 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
Absolutely beautiful, and almost identical to my garage find. I wouldn't change a thing on that bike. The stem badge looks to me to be a modified head badge...certainly not something Cinelli ever did.

MY Cinelli as found:
Attachment 590914
The badge on the stem would be way too small for a headtube. I've learned to never say never!
Old 12-01-17, 08:20 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
Well, maybe not so small looking again, but still, I'd never doubt that it left Cinelli that way!
Old 12-01-17, 08:50 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,805 Times in 1,409 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I agree. Cinelli stem badges are positioned closer to the expander bolt, not the bar clamp. Also no doubt it is a stem badge, not a head badge.

Still a nice job. Nice bike.
Old 12-01-17, 09:04 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Love the bike...CONGRATS!

I wish they had made badges for alloy stems!
Old 12-01-17, 09:54 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 124 Posts
Yes, I have enjoyed looking at your Cinelli - thanks.

On the badged stem - I once attached an OLMO steerer tube metal badge to an old Ambrosio alloy quill stem. It just needed a little extra curving and a couple of small holes drilled in the stem. Easy and it looked great. I would guess that your badged stem is home-made.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 12-01-17 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-01-17, 10:17 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

suspect frame may be slightly earlier than some of the fittings.

note brake calipers. front pads are up near the top of the adjustment slot while rear caliper has pads at bottom of adjustment slot. frame likely built with some model of Universal brakeset in mind. model Super 68 for example has a centre of slot dimension on the front of 47.5mm and on the rear of 56.5mm. the Campag Record 52mm brake set has an upper adjustment limit of 48mm and a lower adjustment limit of 56mm. this fits pretty well what we see.

---

in case one wishes to run a Campag Record type saddle pillar with a Tron et Berthet I-serie saddle as we have here adaptor mounting plates for the combination were produced:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Zeus Criterium Saddle Pillar .jpg (462.0 KB, 156 views)
Old 12-01-17, 10:19 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Yeah... that bike's OK.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-01-17, 10:22 PM
elguicho 
Restore, ride, repeat...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as the stem... I was hoping for a prototype or something special but Iab’s comment rings pretty true to me as far as the position of the badge goes. The funny thing is that Oscar Wastyn, who probably sold the bike, didn’t mention it. They are pretty nice to me at that shop so I guess I’ll go back and ask.

Last edited by elguicho; 12-01-17 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-01-17, 10:31 PM
elguicho 
Restore, ride, repeat...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

suspect frame may be slightly earlier than some of the fittings.

note brake calipers. front pads are up near the top of the adjustment slot while rear caliper has pads at bottom of adjustment slot. frame likely built with some model of Universal brakeset in mind. model Super 68 for example has a centre of slot dimension on the front of 47.5mm and on the rear of 56.5mm. the Campag Record 52mm brake set has an upper adjustment limit of 48mm and a lower adjustment limit of 56mm. this fits pretty well what we see.

---

in case one wishes to run a Campag Record type saddle pillar with a Tron et Berthet I-serie saddle as we have here adaptor mounting plates for the combination were produced:
Pretty keen observations. Universal brakes would make sense and I was also wondering how anyone could attach that saddle to a campagnolo Record seat post. I’m thinking it’ll be easier to keep the saddle than to find the right buyer for it.
Old 12-02-17, 08:14 AM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
What luck!! What a bike!! Beautiful!!
Old 12-02-17, 09:10 AM
clydesdale65 

Bikes: 77 Kessels Merckx, Early 70s Cinelli SC, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra times 2, Eddy Merckx MX Leader times 2, 1968 Legnano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Oh my, that is such a beautiful bike! Congratulations on such a nice Cinelli. Let us know how you like the ride. (I hope to have one of those one day. I just have to find the correct size.)
Old 12-02-17, 10:36 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
Heck of a find. Thankfully it was well preserved!
Old 12-02-17, 10:56 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Man. Maybe one day something like this will find me.

Buy yourself a lottery ticket, mister. Quick.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 12-02-17, 11:28 AM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 103 Posts
Great find! And a lovely bike
Old 12-02-17, 03:26 PM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Gorgeous bike! The original owner obviously treated it right.

I agree with repechage that high flange hubs, and silver tubular rims would be the hot ticket. (I would look for high flange hubs if building a set, but your current low flange hubs would be a close second for me. ) Your bike is from right around the time low flange hubs were starting to be considered "cool". Conversely, the leather Ideale saddle is the opposite. I would expect leather saddles and high flange hubs before the early 70s, and plastic Unicanitor saddles and low flange hubs after.

Personally, I would really try to find some silver rims, even if not tubulars. Those dark grey anodized rims just scream "80s". Nothing wrong with them on the right bike, this just isn't it. Not quite as bad as aero, deep section rims, but close :-)

Either way, beautiful bike. I hope you get a lot of miles on it.
Old 12-02-17, 05:07 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Can anyone ID that bar tape? Sexy as hell, that.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 12-02-17, 06:18 PM
elguicho 
Restore, ride, repeat...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Oxley
Can anyone ID that bar tape? Sexy as hell, that.
That’s the new microfiber tape by Brooks. It’s very close to the fizik version but the colors are meant to be more like their saddles. I put it on and started trying different things to age it, I didn’t love the original color.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.