Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Old 01-09-21, 12:57 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
The fitness number isn’t really rising that much, but maybe I’m expecting too much
Looks A-okay to me!
Old 01-09-21, 12:58 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by genejockey
Just don't run 39mm bars.
Them is some narrow bars!
Old 01-09-21, 12:59 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
In USD? Totally worth it.
Well that is pre-tax...
Old 01-09-21, 01:02 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
With all of the n00b intervals.icu training talk, it's probably worthwhile to have a little primer on Load, which is the building block of much of what we're talking about.

Load for a given workout is intensity (how hard you worked) x time (how long you worked out, in hours) x 100 (because decimal points suck and bigger numbers are betterer numbers)

Intensity is how hard you workout as a percentage of how hard you can work out. So if my FTP is 250w and I have an average of 200w for a workout, my intensity is 80% or 0.80. If my workout was one hour long, the load would be 80 (.8 x 1 hour x 100). If my workout was 90 minutes, the load would be 120 (.8 x 1.5 hours x 100).

All of the Fitness, Fatigue, Form, etc is based off of Load.

Fitness is based off of a weighted average daily load over ~6 weeks. If your current Fitness is 50 and you want it to go up, you need to up your average daily load, so doing 45 mins at 85% four days a week isn't going to do it (that would roughly be an average daily load of 36)

Fatigue is similar, but it's a weighted 7 day average (basically, fitness builds/decays more slowly, whereas fatigue builds/recovers more quickly).

Form is a comparison of your Fitness and Fatigue. It's a good shorthand way of telling if you're overtraining, undertraining, etc. You're undertraining if your Fatigue is a lot lower than your Fitness. You might be in danger of overtraining if your Fatigue is too much higher than your Fitness. It might be a good idea to taper to someplace in between if you have an event coming up, etc.

Hope this helps.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-09-21, 01:12 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Had a chilly but fantastic ride. Six riders, cold and very windy, but the company and bright sunshine warmed my heart.
too cold for me today, I may go tomorrow around 3:30
Old 01-09-21, 01:17 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10065 Post(s)
Liked 5,051 Times in 2,155 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
With all of the n00b intervals.icu training talk, it's probably worthwhile to have a little primer on Load, which is the building block of much of what we're talking about.

Load for a given workout is intensity (how hard you worked) x time (how long you worked out, in hours) x 100 (because decimal points suck and bigger numbers are betterer numbers)

Intensity is how hard you workout as a percentage of how hard you can work out. So if my FTP is 250w and I have an average of 200w for a workout, my intensity is 80% or 0.80. If my workout was one hour long, the load would be 80 (.8 x 1 hour x 100). If my workout was 90 minutes, the load would be 120 (.8 x 1.5 hours x 100).

Fitness is based off of a weighted average daily load over ~6 weeks. If your current Fitness is 50 and you want it to go up, you need to up your average daily load, so doing 45 mins at 85% four days a week isn't going to do it (that would roughly be an average daily load of 36)

Fatigue is similar, but it's a weighted 7 day average (basically, fitness builds/decays more slowly, whereas fatigue builds/recovers more quickly).

Form is a comparison of your Fitness and Fatigue. It's a good shorthand way of telling if you're overtraining, undertraining, etc. You're undertraining if your Fatigue is a lot lower than your Fitness. You might be in danger of overtraining if your Fatigue is too much higher than your Fitness. It might be a good idea to taper to someplace in between if you have an event coming up, etc.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 01-09-21, 01:21 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts

Hope this helps.
you lost me at n00b...

Kidding. I’ve been pretty consistent with 3x 1 hour, 1x1.5 and 1x2 over the past few weeks, I guess it’s climbing fine, but even with more time, my weekly load is lower than during the summer. It’s probably beneficial to have more structure, just frustrating at the surface.

I probably just need to HTFU and up the intensity
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 01-09-21, 01:32 PM
WhyFi

you lost me at n00b...

Kidding. I’ve been pretty consistent with 3x 1 hour, 1x1.5 and 1x2 over the past few weeks, I guess it’s climbing fine, but even with more time, my weekly load is lower than during the summer. It’s probably beneficial to have more structure, just frustrating at the surface.

Time is such a huge factor, though, so I wouldn't worry about it being lower than in summer. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll be ready to pile on the hours when Spring rolls around. That's what I'm telling myself, at least... that and "don't get too fat, lard ass."
Old 01-09-21, 02:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
you lost me at n00b...

I struggle with getting beyond 3 days a week - 2 x 1-1.5 hour Zwift sessions and a 3 1/2 - 4 hour ride on Sundays. Trying to add another day keeps running aground on events and such. But at least I'm still doing the 3 days! And while I haven't LOST any weight since November, I also haven't GAINED any weight. I give myself kudos for surviving the Food Holidays without going back up over 210.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-09-21, 02:19 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
Would picking the time help? Typical wisdom points to an after work bike session, but I have found that I like to spend time at night with Mrs. LAJ. So, I'm willing to get up at an ungodly hour to get that done. Of course, with weights and the bike on schedule at this time, I just get to get up at an ungodly hour to lift weights.
Old 01-09-21, 02:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by LAJ
Would picking the time help? Typical wisdom points to an after work bike session, but I have found that I like to spend time at night with Mrs. LAJ. So, I'm willing to get up at an ungodly hour to get that done. Of course, with weights and the bike on schedule at this time, I just get to get up at an ungodly hour to lift weights.
During the outdoor riding season, I generally make up a spreadsheet of sunset times, with back-calculations of when I need to stop work in order to change and get to where I ride, in order to get in 1 1/2 hours before it's too dark. That works pretty well for me, even during COVID. But this is the first winter that I've actually kept riding. Previous years, I road the dumb trainer with nothing but music and could barely make 40 minutes, and kept finding reasons not to. You know, like "Gosh I should really finish this email before I go ride....Oops! Now it's too late!" This year, I actually look forward to Zwift sessions but I find that too many little things around the house - which I won't go into - need my attention. But I'm working on it. This week, I was going to do the TdZ on Wednesday but then there was an unsuccessful coup d'etat. Hopefully next week will be calmer.

Old 01-09-21, 02:55 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9531 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Why not invest in several of them?
There have actually been two times when I’ve owned two boats. But, both were overlaps in changing boats. I’m not into fleet building.

I actually made money on one. 19 years ago, I bought a 26’ POS, cleaned it up a bunch and did some refurbishing. About 8 months later, I bought a 28’er. Then sold the 26’er about two months later - cash deal with cash counted out on the hood of my car. Made about 15% based on total dollars spent on it (had some sweat equity in it though).
Old 01-09-21, 03:05 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12637 Post(s)
Liked 7,529 Times in 3,990 Posts
Go 'hawks!!!!

Old 01-09-21, 03:07 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28442 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Discuss.

Old 01-09-21, 03:08 PM
WhyFi

I struggle with getting beyond 3 days a week - 2 x 1-1.5 hour Zwift sessions and a 3 1/2 - 4 hour ride on Sundays. Trying to add another day keeps running aground on events and such. But at least I'm still doing the 3 days! And while I haven't LOST any weight since November, I also haven't GAINED any weight. I give myself kudos for surviving the Food Holidays without going back up over 210.
I'm probably about the same weight as I was in September - I don't know for sure, as I haven't jumped on the scale in a while, but I'm happy with what I see in the mirror - and that's a victory in my book, considering the cold and ice outside my door. I don't think that I'll have too much trouble sustaining, which will mean that I'll be ready to rock and roll when the roads clear.
Old 01-09-21, 03:11 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
During the outdoor riding season, I generally make up a spreadsheet of sunset times, with back-calculations of when I need to stop work in order to change and get to where I ride, in order to get in 1 1/2 hours before it's too dark. That works pretty well for me, even during COVID. But this is the first winter that I've actually kept riding. Previous years, I road the dumb trainer with nothing but music and could barely make 40 minutes, and kept finding reasons not to. You know, like "Gosh I should really finish this email before I go ride....Oops! Now it's too late!" This year, I actually look forward to Zwift sessions but I find that too many little things around the house - which I won't go into - need my attention. But I'm working on it. This week, I was going to do the TdZ on Wednesday but then there was an unsuccessful coup d'etat. Hopefully next week will be calmer.
I absolutely get that. There is no procrastination allowed when you only have 15-30 minutes before you must be on the trainer in order to make work. That said, I'm very good at doing all I can, like replying to Bike Forums posts n stuff, rather than being on the trainer. Saturdays are tough for me. Weights in the AM, then time to fart around before the bike... I need to get on it before Mrs. LAJ gets home, so I guess I've hung out with the dogs long enough.

Likes For LAJ:
Old 01-09-21, 03:12 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Go 'hawks!!!!
Big game against the Hornets tonight.
Old 01-09-21, 04:07 PM
bampilot06

My waist continues to get smaller, but my weight has stopped going down. I don’t see a difference in my midsection but my face has gotten super skinny, and my legs have gotten a lot more muscular.

Last edited by bampilot06; 01-09-21 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-09-21, 04:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Last winter, I was 2 holes bigger on my belt, and straining that a bit, honestly. Now I'm on the last hole and I could manage another one. So that's pretty good. My face is skinnier and my chin is now singular instead of plural. I could stand to lose another 10-15 lbs, but that's for next summer. If I start off at 205 instead of 235, it's a LOT easier to get below 200! Plus I'll worry a lot less about the bikes that nominally should only carry 100 kg....

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-09-21, 04:35 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by bampilot06
My waist continues to get smaller, but my weight has stopped going down. I don’t see a difference in my midsection but my face has gotten super skinny, and my legs have gotten a lot more muscular.
I noticed that your face was lookin' thinner on Strava. And yeah, weight doesn't necessarily tell you enough if you don't know about the composition - losing fat while gaining muscle isn't a bad thing.
Old 01-09-21, 04:44 PM
bampilot06

I noticed that your face was lookin' thinner on Strava. And yeah, weight doesn't necessarily tell you enough if you don't know about the composition - losing fat while gaining muscle isn't a bad thing.

If you saw my picture 2 years ago, you would fall out of your chair.
Old 01-09-21, 04:53 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by bampilot06
If you saw my picture 2 years ago, you would fall out of your chair.
Too fat for this sport?
Old 01-09-21, 05:01 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I feel fat.
Old 01-09-21, 05:26 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13642 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts
I feel fine.
Old 01-09-21, 05:30 PM
bampilot06

Too fat for this sport?
A plastic bike wouldn’t have been able to support me or my three chins. My drivers license has my old picture, and I have to use that sometimes with tsa. I get all kinds of responses, but usually tell them that I was trying to be a mob hit man for halloween.
Likes For bampilot06:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.