Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bucking The Trend:34/34?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bucking The Trend:34/34?

Old 01-14-21, 03:56 PM
fattires

Bikes: 2020 Indy Fab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Who is refusing to modify the gearing on their Road bike from what was normal--like low gears of 42/24 for old bikes and 39/23 for newer road bikes?

AND, how's it going for you?

Jeff.
I do not regret building my new steel frame with 46/33, 10-33, even though initially I thought it would be too low. I was in 33-33 going up my steepest incline yesterday and doing an easy 95ish RPM. Slow speed but I liked it better than a mashing grind.

The lowest gear on my old ride was 39-23; just not low enough for me.
Old 01-14-21, 04:42 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It depends on whether you have low enough gears for the steepest part of the climb. I've done Haleakala on a 39x27 low gear. Sure it's 10K feet, but it's only 6%, same as your typical freeway overpass. It's a massively long grind, but there aren't any particularly steep pitches.
Old 01-15-21, 05:31 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
For the hills around me I need a 1 to 1 ratio. front 30 rear 30. My bike came with 52/36 spider chainring. I special ordered a 46/30 spider chainring from England.
I am not any faster up the hill but my knees are a lot happier.

Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 01-15-21, 08:55 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,127 Posts
At 68 years I am still riding my vintage bikes with close to their vintage gearing for shorter rides.

This one with a low gear of 47/28

This one with a low gear of 46/28

But for any ride over 40 or 50 miles or with more than about 4,000 feet of climbing or with grades over 15% I'm on a bike with lower gears or the final miles will be a death march and I'll need half a week to recover.

Something like this with a 36/32 low gear.

If there's lots of dirt or gravel climbing involved I'm down to 28/30.

It's not that I'm experiencing more injuries on the higher gears. It's a matter of strength and endurance. If I push big gears for more than two or three hours I simply run out of gas. Also I no longer have the leg strength to grind my way up a 20% slope in the taller gears that I used even fifteen years ago.
I enjoy long rides, and lower gears allow me to keep enjoying them: I'm comfortable with that.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris: