Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 01-16-21, 08:08 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Do you do Zwift or just TR? I do a 3 hr ride on Zwift almost every week and will do up to 4 voluntarily. More than that takes some motivation.
i use both concurrently, I use an ant+ stick for zwift to read my Assioma pedals and TR uses Bluetooth to control the hammer and read the Assiomas for power match. I’ll jump on events or whatever during workouts, like today I went on a bmtr 100mile ride (I did 65 miles). So if I had picked a longer workout I def could have stuck it out. I’m just so used to a 2hr max for the TR stuff but It would prob only take a few times to get used to longer rides
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 01-17-21, 12:22 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Taking a sweetspot week break from my TT bike intensity workouts plan.

I swear, something has happened from 2019. In 2020 I did a hair more miles, more hours, and a crap ton more elevation. Overall more KJ's. By all metrics, I'm a hair faster.

But........in 2019 I could pretty much eat and drink "at will". Now........I feel like I can't eat a damned thing without putting on a pound or two. I'm in good shape overall, but it's like..........seriously, WTF.

I know.....calories in, calories out. Thing is though, I really feel I ate the same or more in 2019! Eff this crap yo.
How old are you? Are you feeling tired (wore down) quite a bit now?

I had this same thing happen to me, subtle weight gain, low energy. I was tired before I got tired while exercising if that makes sense. Feeling off while I was in great shape (was a machinegunner in the USMC so lots of “training”).

Got a blood test. Hypothyroidism. Anyway you might possibly want to get a blood test if this continues and you get more alarmed about.

Good luck.
Old 01-17-21, 09:24 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
How old are you? Are you feeling tired (wore down) quite a bit now?

I had this same thing happen to me, subtle weight gain, low energy. I was tired before I got tired while exercising if that makes sense. Feeling off while I was in great shape (was a machinegunner in the USMC so lots of “training”).

Got a blood test. Hypothyroidism. Anyway you might possibly want to get a blood test if this continues and you get more alarmed about.

Good luck.
I'll keep an eye on it. Generally speaking, my daily energy level is good. I find time at work to leave the desk and go walk the tank hall a lap or two. Or do some laps walking it at lunch. Before workouts I usually feel pretty good. It's rare to not feel I have the energy for one (unless I'm trying to do a workout on the wrong level of "freshness").

I'm 36.

One thing I think I did was in 2020 I bought into the whole "breakfast is super important" language. I get it to an extent, but I think changing that put on some pounds to me. In 2020 I started eating a lot more at breakfast anticipating eating less for lunch/dinner etc.... Nope. I ate exactly the same at the other meals of the day. So it was total bollocks to eat all that at breakfast time.

It's slowly coming back down now, really slowly, after ditching that idea. Also, we backed off our more unhealthy takeout weekly meal to less often also. We had been getting a massive pile of Indian takeout once a week. Probably nearly a 2000 cal meal. Now we only do that like once a month and get some Mediterranean takeout with the piles of veggie and a better balance (and less calories).

We have a wifi/bluetooth scale coming in the mail today that can pair to my Trainingpeaks that does all the fancy measures: weight, body fat, water, etc.... I'll add that as a field in my TP charts and track it for a while.
Old 01-17-21, 09:54 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Do you do Zwift or just TR?
do you even zwift, bro?
Old 01-17-21, 10:01 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,571 Posts
Likes For TMonk:
Old 01-17-21, 10:03 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Gonna head out in a bit for another ~45 min of time in position (TT bike) at z3 or (low) z4. But this time, I'm wearing my SDBC speedsuit w/pocket, my race front wheel and specialized evade. I usually wear a lighter/comfier Giro in training. Just for funsies.

Last ride of the block! Next week I'll do 7-9 mostly easy hours. The long ride will probably be... you guessed it... three hours on Zwift before work!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 01-17-21, 03:34 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
Not covid. Metabolic Acidosis. Was doing the keto diet for a few weeks and the perfect storm of complications with my diabetes medicine happened.
DKA?
Serious ish man. Hope you recover soon. Like Gary said... take your time.

Glad you're doing okay all things considered!
Old 01-17-21, 04:28 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

That Gary guy knows his stuff.

Just doing the work. Another 700+ TSS week. Starting to see some short sharp efforts. Forgot what it was like to dig down deep and grind out 400 or 500 for an effort. There might still be a bike racer left inside this skin bag.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 01-17-21, 05:31 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Did a 15 mile event on Zwift and thought it would be nice filler (since 95% of all events on Zwift are flat) before the weekend but it ended up being Ventoux! So I did an hour at 92% on so so legs. Wrecked me the next day, but it was worth it. I probably should up my ftp but I really don't want to....

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
i use both concurrently, I use an ant+ stick for zwift to read my Assioma pedals and TR uses Bluetooth to control the hammer and read the Assiomas for power match. I’ll jump on events or whatever during workouts, like today I went on a bmtr 100mile ride (I did 65 miles). So if I had picked a longer workout I def could have stuck it out. I’m just so used to a 2hr max for the TR stuff but It would prob only take a few times to get used to longer rides
I use both but not concurrently. Used to do TR for solo training and Zwift for Group Rides / Races. Lately I've been considering dumping TR because I know the programs by heart and can replicate them in Zwift, especially since courses like Tempus Fugit don't mess with ERG too much. I'm level 40 in Zwift and do that all the time now because I want to hit 50. Petty I know.

Originally Posted by Wylde06
Spent a week in the ICU (nearly died) at the beginning of December and im just now getting back to wanting to ride again. Had a terrible ramp test last night..
Ugh, glad you are alright. Take it easy, things will come.
Old 01-17-21, 05:54 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
DKA?
Serious ish man. Hope you recover soon. Like Gary said... take your time.

Glad you're doing okay all things considered!
Yea, DKA. I just didnt have the high blood sugar so I didnt go to the ER until it was almost too late (had some back pain and difficulty breathing that got really bad over a few hours). My doctors took me off of my oral meds (for obvious reasons..) and im on insulin right now..which I hope changes once I see an endocrinologist next month. I hate being on insulin
Old 01-17-21, 07:40 PM
hubcyclist

Ended up doing the last scheduled sweet spot workout rather than doing another long endurance substitution, felt good and with that I’m done with SSB2 HV. Ctl is currently at 92 lol gonna try and enjoy the easy week and getting fresher
Old 01-17-21, 11:22 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
That Gary guy knows his stuff.

Just doing the work. Another 700+ TSS week. Starting to see some short sharp efforts. Forgot what it was like to dig down deep and grind out 400 or 500 for an effort. There might still be a bike racer left inside this skin bag.
Strong work!

My knee is imploding again so I'm pulling the plug for a bit or at least dialing it down to concentrate on pt. Gonna try doing maybe 2-4hrs on the bike max a week. Other than that, snowboarding and yoga it is for now.

Yay...
🙄🙄🙄
​​
Old 01-18-21, 07:32 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I bought a Withings fancy scale. It told me "womp womp womp, you suck". Or more accurately, the scale says I don't know what the F I'm doing with my nutrition.

There is zero way to claim it's fitness. Trainingpeaks shows an average of over 3000KJ/wk on the bike last 2 years and 3500KJ/wk in the last 3 months. So, it ain't the "expenditure" side of things.

It's gotta be the timing and quantity going into the pie hole combined with the type efforts done when working on the bike.

The brief timeline in general is:
2016- Topped up at about 181lb, starting to ride from "nothing", a bit of gym work weekly
2017-Down into the low 170's, doing some fitness riding and a couple random workouts
2018-Serious riding begins......sometimes a training plan, volume up, down into 160's
2019-Serious riding/race continues.........lowest weight reached and held most of 2019.....155 to 157 routinely
2020-MORE KJs this year than last year, but have gained about 4 to 5 lbs.......all FAT.....per the Withings I just bought. And my jeans are a hair tighter. I'm at 16.8% fat and 57.2% water, in the morning after eating breakfast (that was Trainingpeaks recommendation for a Withings, morning but not before breakfast, after)

So, I have eaten, snacked, drank alcohol all the same from 2018 through today. I'd say in 2020 we've eaten "cleaner" in terms of better mix of veggie, protein, etc.... as homemade stuff in 2020!

But, I'm up 5lbs...........100% of it fat.

I'm adding back in a pair of weekly 30min strength sessions to go with the bike stuff. I read that could be an issue. A physical is in order with the general practitioner also.

Only other thing I can think of is intake near and during workouts, and after. I read the body can really do weird stuff if you get that wrong with hoarding what you eat later if you don't fuel correctly. I've always been under the impression for an hour or less.......just a light snack before and go at it. Glycogen stores should be enough as-is for an hour.

Arrrrgghhhhhhh..........
Old 01-18-21, 08:47 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I bought a Withings fancy scale
link?
Old 01-18-21, 09:38 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
Ski intervals / altitude block begins. Currently, 93% SpO2 (Apple Watch), 7000 feet altitude, slight headache, slept well but got up to pee a lot. DOMS later. Can’t wait until I’m faster. I reread Hutchinson’s “Faster” on the plane.

Last edited by Hermes; 01-18-21 at 12:42 PM.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 01-18-21, 11:13 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Wylde06 - hope you are back to full health soon. Sounds like a difficult time.
Old 01-18-21, 11:48 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by gsteinb
link?
Maybe keeping up with this in Trainingpeaks with my work loads will reveal something.

https://www.amazon.com/Withings-Body...d_asin_0_title
Old 01-19-21, 12:35 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
I bought a Withings fancy scale. It told me "womp womp womp, you suck". Or more accurately, the scale says I don't know what the F I'm doing with my nutrition.

There is zero way to claim it's fitness. Trainingpeaks shows an average of over 3000KJ/wk on the bike last 2 years and 3500KJ/wk in the last 3 months. So, it ain't the "expenditure" side of things.

It's gotta be the timing and quantity going into the pie hole combined with the type efforts done when working on the bike.

The brief timeline in general is:
2016- Topped up at about 181lb, starting to ride from "nothing", a bit of gym work weekly
2017-Down into the low 170's, doing some fitness riding and a couple random workouts
2018-Serious riding begins......sometimes a training plan, volume up, down into 160's
2019-Serious riding/race continues.........lowest weight reached and held most of 2019.....155 to 157 routinely
2020-MORE KJs this year than last year, but have gained about 4 to 5 lbs.......all FAT.....per the Withings I just bought. And my jeans are a hair tighter. I'm at 16.8% fat and 57.2% water, in the morning after eating breakfast (that was Trainingpeaks recommendation for a Withings, morning but not before breakfast, after)

So, I have eaten, snacked, drank alcohol all the same from 2018 through today. I'd say in 2020 we've eaten "cleaner" in terms of better mix of veggie, protein, etc.... as homemade stuff in 2020!

But, I'm up 5lbs...........100% of it fat.

I'm adding back in a pair of weekly 30min strength sessions to go with the bike stuff. I read that could be an issue. A physical is in order with the general practitioner also.

Only other thing I can think of is intake near and during workouts, and after. I read the body can really do weird stuff if you get that wrong with hoarding what you eat later if you don't fuel correctly. I've always been under the impression for an hour or less.......just a light snack before and go at it. Glycogen stores should be enough as-is for an hour.

Arrrrgghhhhhhh..........
1lb/year is normal age related weight gain.
Old 01-19-21, 05:15 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
1lb/year is normal age related weight gain.

grumble.
Old 01-19-21, 10:00 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

rest week randomness, finishing up 30 min on the trainer right now (Z1) and am heading out for a 15 min jog in a few minutes. you know, to get some impact. will spin out the legs for another 5-10 after and then stretch.

we're planning a trip this summer to backpack Mt. Tyndall in the Sierras. It's a 14'er with some barely class 3-able scrambling up a 1,500' face to get to the summit plateau. We got soo close a couple of years ago, but there was a couple of moves near the top that kinda spooked us out a bit due to exposure. It was late in the day and passed our cutoff turnaround time, so we didn't have time to sit around and get comfortable with things.

this will require some more jogging and a tune up hike or two later in the summer. I imagine this will be interfere with a delayed onset race season, but I just gotta climb this mountain.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 01-19-21, 03:35 PM
hubcyclist

recovery week for me, did 90min z2 today and forgot to turn on the HR monitor, would have loved to have validated the really easy feeling ride with HR data. I've got my target set 2% up from my currently set FTP and even the 75% interval felt easier than it normally does, so I guess we'll see if it checks out the remainder of the week. I went outdoors with my son yesterday for 17miles (1hr40 ride time), even though I had thermal gear on and the temp was in the low 40's, I felt super cold. I've gone soft with my indoor riding lol
Old 01-19-21, 10:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
1’ vo2max intervals, 3 sets of 6. Easy peasy. It’s weird that I am really struggling with threshold workouts but I can knock out vo2max and higher no problem.
Old 01-20-21, 09:12 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I understand how fatigue can affect workouts and efforts, but damn. A long sst workout in Zwift this week felt horrible at -11 TSB versus a +6 the week before. Holy cow.

I'm wondering if I should do a road bike block with just a TT ride a week since road bike power will always be higher. I feel I've made TT gains but need more KJ's and lactate management coming from the higher road bike power. Hmmmm....
Old 01-20-21, 10:54 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

popping the corn.

sometimes it means you need rest.
Old 01-20-21, 11:28 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I'm trying out a new metric upon which to base overall training. I've set the fairly arbitrary (but perhaps not) goal of 10 megajoules a week...Historically speaking, I haven't done more than 5-6 10MJ weeks in any given year, but doing close to 9ish has always resulted in fantastic form.

I did 10 MJ a few weeks ago followed by 9.9 MJ the following week, and then just did another 9.3 last week. In doing so, I did a lot of upper Z2 and low Z3 with one or two harder days where I'd push for upper Z3 and sweetspot with a few little digs put in to keep it interesting. So far, so good. CTL is hovering in the upper 80s. I assume it'll stay around this or maybe creep up to the mid 90s.

It seems like it'd be a better gauge than simply hours or TSS. In the past I could inflate hours with group rides and races in which I wouldn't necessarily be doing significantly more work, and I could inflate TSS with the same, as I'm quite prone to "NP busting".

I'm at 3.3 MJ this week, so got a good start on this week. I'll have to see how it pans out. Still no races planned, but lots of KOMs to take a shot at when it warms a little.

Last edited by rubiksoval; 01-20-21 at 01:13 PM.
Likes For rubiksoval:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.