Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

sakae cr crankset: adding a granny ring

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-24-21, 12:32 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts

this is the crank i have....

my '85 super le tour came with a sugino gp. i like it fine, but it's rather scratched up (it came to me that way). however, it seems to be anodized, so i'd probably have to remove that to really look good, again. otoh, the sakae just needs a good polish. i have the matching 52 and 42 rings to fit it, but to make it a triple as i'd like (with a 30t) apparently requires non-standard hardware....ie, spacers and bolts. does anyone at all have a clue and, more hopefully, pictures of the necessary hardware? it's a really neat looking crank

thanks!!

ps. this may have been covered before on BF, but i'm unable to find the info

Last edited by thook; 01-24-21 at 12:37 AM. Reason: link wasn't working right
Old 01-24-21, 01:35 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

well, whaddya know??! found'em...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sakae-Ringy...-/273829336750

tried a long time ago to find them. finally. pricey, though....hmmm.

anyone know of a way to substitute, by chance??
Old 01-24-21, 02:34 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

answered my own questions..

apparently there's such a thing as countersinking "shoulder" bolts/screws....in M6 threading that i'd need. some silly combo of standard ring spacers and correct length M6's with a pan head should do it.
Old 01-24-21, 05:57 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
I don’t know for sure, but the bolts in the eBay ad you link to seem to have heads that are too long for an inner ring. I think they might actually be for a bash guard ring.
Old 01-24-21, 06:35 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
answered my own questions..

apparently there's such a thing as countersinking "shoulder" bolts/screws....in M6 threading that i'd need. some silly combo of standard ring spacers and correct length M6's with a pan head should do it.
You might find properly sized and threaded bolts holding chainring-guards. I just checked a bunch but they were all 5mm, it's possible another mfr (think these were Silstar) used bigger ones.

Much depends on your final solution. Of course, you will need clearance between the heads of the bolts and the frame. If the ring your get has counter-bored holes that is better - except that means your bolt heads must fit, meaning they have to be round, which means a socket- or screwdriver-variant drive. If you are stuck with hex-head bolts you could try thinning the head a' la TA, but that risks rounding the corners, especially if you use a socket with a chamfered entry.

For the situation where you have more time than money, a vice, a hand-drill & 1/4" bit, a hacksaw, and a file - and

a) five philips drive pan-head 6mm machine screws and one 6mm nut (a coupling nut would be a good one);
b) a bit of aluminium sheet the right thickness to be your spacers;

do this:

Drill five 1/4" holes in your sheet, far enough apart that you can cut out five bits to be spacers.
Saw them out - get close to circles, anything you don't saw off you'll be filing off.
Thread them on one of the screws, add the nut and tighten,
Mount the drill in the vice and grab the nut in the jaws arranged so you can have the drill spin the stack as you file them into a circular shape (make sure you have the rotation so the stack won't unscrew).
Take each screw one-by-one and thread it into the nut, right up to the head.
If the heads need to be smaller to fit a counterbore file them as you did the stack of spacers.
Grab the nut in the vice and file the head flat, leaving a portion of the central cross to guide you.
Saw a screwdriver-slot (saw them both, somebody will probably strip one someday) lined up with the cross.
Grab the end of the screw (with the nut still at the head) that you don't need; saw the screw to length.
Grab the screw head or nut and tidy up the end of the screw with the file (this could be tricky if the bolt head is proud of the nut, use a pair of thin - about 1/8" - soft wood jaws in the vice).
Mount everything up and check for clearance, use a longer axle if necessary.
Old 01-24-21, 06:56 AM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 70 Posts
don't have the link handy but I've never had any difficulty finding triple spacers of suitable thickness on Amazon. I suggest button head allen screws of suitable length; if your hardware store doesn't have them, you can get them from McMaster or Fastenal.
Old 01-24-21, 07:24 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 962 Times in 480 Posts
Some early triples used the odd bolts you linked to in your post above:

Others just use standard chainring bolts and spacers. It’s easy to check. Can’t remember which cranks use which, though I have the Sugino RT version of your crankset and could pull a bolt if you need.
Old 01-24-21, 10:25 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by oneclick
You might find properly sized and threaded bolts holding chainring-guards. I just checked a bunch but they were all 5mm, it's possible another mfr (think these were Silstar) used bigger ones.

Much depends on your final solution. Of course, you will need clearance between the heads of the bolts and the frame. If the ring your get has counter-bored holes that is better - except that means your bolt heads must fit, meaning they have to be round, which means a socket- or screwdriver-variant drive. If you are stuck with hex-head bolts you could try thinning the head a' la TA, but that risks rounding the corners, especially if you use a socket with a chamfered entry.

For the situation where you have more time than money, a vice, a hand-drill & 1/4" bit, a hacksaw, and a file - and

a) five philips drive pan-head 6mm machine screws and one 6mm nut (a coupling nut would be a good one);
b) a bit of aluminium sheet the right thickness to be your spacers;

do this:

Drill five 1/4" holes in your sheet, far enough apart that you can cut out five bits to be spacers.
Saw them out - get close to circles, anything you don't saw off you'll be filing off.
Thread them on one of the screws, add the nut and tighten,
Mount the drill in the vice and grab the nut in the jaws arranged so you can have the drill spin the stack as you file them into a circular shape (make sure you have the rotation so the stack won't unscrew).
Take each screw one-by-one and thread it into the nut, right up to the head.
If the heads need to be smaller to fit a counterbore file them as you did the stack of spacers.
Grab the nut in the vice and file the head flat, leaving a portion of the central cross to guide you.
Saw a screwdriver-slot (saw them both, somebody will probably strip one someday) lined up with the cross.
Grab the end of the screw (with the nut still at the head) that you don't need; saw the screw to length.
Grab the screw head or nut and tidy up the end of the screw with the file (this could be tricky if the bolt head is proud of the nut, use a pair of thin - about 1/8" - soft wood jaws in the vice).
Mount everything up and check for clearance, use a longer axle if necessary.
that's incredibly kind of you to go to the length of detailing that out for me, but typical chainring spacers are what i need to do the job and i do have those.

i'll be using a standard chainring...either a campy 30t or sugino 28t...whichever looks better. and, from what i can tell, a standard ring is what was/is originally used on one of these cranks. in the ebay link i posted (the same image mountindave provides), you can see the hardware. there's a shoulder that is meant for the recessing into the standard ring bolt holes and spacers. so, in that respect, a chainring is meant to mate to the crank in mostly the standard way. the only difference is the smaller than usual threading into the crank. i had thought of drilling and tapping the crank holes to fit standard chainring bolts, but my whole intention is to make this relatively quick and easy....more so than deanodizing the original sugino crank to get it looking nice

as for the bolts (whatever it is i wind up using) clearing the stay, i had thought of that, so thanks for mentioning it. i did run some searches and found there are countersinking bolts with the necessary shoulder and a "panhead" that should fit/recess and leave necessary clearance. i could only find phillips head, though. and, they are a few threads shorter than the factory SR bolts, but they might still be long enough. i'll just have to see what some of the local hardware suppliers have

bolts i found in searching...
Old 01-24-21, 10:29 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by old's'cool
don't have the link handy but I've never had any difficulty finding triple spacers of suitable thickness on Amazon. I suggest button head allen screws of suitable length; if your hardware store doesn't have them, you can get them from McMaster or Fastenal.
thank you. yes, i have some SR spacers that came off a "super custom" that should work. if i can get by fastenal during their business hours, i'll go there for bolts. i'm going to try lowe's or home depot, first.
Old 01-24-21, 10:32 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by mountaindave
Some early triples used the odd bolts you linked to in your post above:

Others just use standard chainring bolts and spacers. It’s easy to check. Can’t remember which cranks use which, though I have the Sugino RT version of your crankset and could pull a bolt if you need.
yep....that would be what i need for this CR crank. i'm not wanting to pay $30-$40 for them, though. i'll find a workaround if i can...lol

i've seen your posts in a few threads related to this crank when i ran searches. thanks for chiming in!!
Old 01-24-21, 10:34 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
The Takagi triple I have uses the smaller bolts also. I have a Sakae CR crank as well. The smaller bolts are out there. The spacers are common as well. Measure the thickness of the middle chainring where it attaches to the crank. That is the thickness of the spacer you need.
Old 01-24-21, 10:47 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by seypat
. Measure the thickness of the middle chainring where it attaches to the crank. That is the thickness of the spacer you need.
that had not occurred to me. thanks! does the middle ring require any sort of spacer or is it offset enough to not need one? i ask because i have seen shimano cranks needing a thin one
Old 01-24-21, 12:38 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
Shimano typically used the very thin spacers (washers actually) when a cheaper middle ring was fitted and that was cut from thinner stock.
Many low to mid-grade BioPace cranksets were so fitted, and other newer ones as well.
Old 01-24-21, 12:57 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by dddd
Shimano typically used the very thin spacers (washers actually) when a cheaper middle ring was fitted and that was cut from thinner stock.
Many low to mid-grade BioPace cranksets were so fitted, and other newer ones as well.
like cheaper steel perhaps? the rings i have for this CR set are ano'd steel. i actually still have to locate them, but the mating tabs are thinner than aluminum rings and are offset, iirc. well, for the middle ring, anyway
Old 01-24-21, 01:45 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by thook
yep....that would be what i need for this CR crank. i'm not wanting to pay $30-$40 for them, though. i'll find a workaround if i can...lol

i've seen your posts in a few threads related to this crank when i ran searches. thanks for chiming in!!
The eBay listing has a “make offer” option - offer $20 and see what happens?

Cheers and good luck with the hunt!
Old 01-24-21, 01:49 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
The Takagi triple I have uses the smaller bolts also. I have a Sakae CR crank as well. The smaller bolts are out there. The spacers are common as well. Measure the thickness of the middle chainring where it attaches to the crank. That is the thickness of the spacer you need.
I'm not sure that this is good advice. The essential measurement is the distance between the two planes of sprocket teeth centres. The thickness of the plate making up the sprocket may or may not be equal to half this distance, and of course even if it is the additional sprocket he may be using is not guaranteed to be of equal thickness. Further compounding this is that it also depends on the sprocket-tooth-plane being centred across the thickness of the rings (or at least identically offset), which is not always the case.

Perhaps better is to measure the spacing his crankset uses between the existing rings and arrange spacers such that that is what he gets to the third.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 01-24-21, 01:56 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

...Perhaps better is to measure the spacing his crankset uses between the existing rings and arrange spacers such that that is what he gets to the third.
This.
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 01-24-21, 02:16 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
I'm not sure that this is good advice. The essential measurement is the distance between the two planes of sprocket teeth centres. The thickness of the plate making up the sprocket may or may not be equal to half this distance, and of course even if it is the additional sprocket he may be using is not guaranteed to be of equal thickness. Further compounding this is that it also depends on the sprocket-tooth-plane being centred across the thickness of the rings (or at least identically offset), which is not always the case.

Perhaps better is to measure the spacing his crankset uses between the existing rings and arrange spacers such that that is what he gets to the third.
Yes, I didn't word that correctly. I meant to say the middle chainring plus the crank spider ledge that it sits on. All the bikes I ride have triples. Generally, the spacers are 5mm up until 8 speed. That has been my experience.
Old 01-24-21, 07:50 PM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 67 Posts
Cook Brothers RSR cranks use similar bolts and spacers
Old 01-24-21, 08:03 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by nlerner
I don’t know for sure, but the bolts in the eBay ad you link to seem to have heads that are too long for an inner ring. I think they might actually be for a bash guard ring.
sorry, i don't know how i missed this. thanks for chiming in as i did not think of that. otoh, the set's being sold with spacers. at any rate, i'm not purchasing them at that price. gotta do things cheap right now
Old 01-24-21, 08:04 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by uncleivan
Cook Brothers RSR cranks use similar bolts and spacers
thanks! i'll look into that
Old 01-24-21, 08:07 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by mountaindave
The eBay listing has a “make offer” option - offer $20 and see what happens?

Cheers and good luck with the hunt!
thank you! even at a possible $20, i still need to try and do it cheaper.