Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

Atom rear drum hub - 40h, BSC, excellent condition.

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 10:28 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts

This is a pull from a mid-80s Motobecane tandem. It's in excellent condition, see pics. 135mm locknut spacing, 40 hole, BSC freewheel thread. Cones and cups have no - zero - pits or blemishes (I use a loupe, I hate pits). There are nice shiny smooth ball tracks, even width all around. The cones are not the same as what I see in pics of this hub on the net, all those are a black finish, these are shiny; I don't know if this means anything. I've seen lots of ordinary Normandy and Atom cones, these are better finished. It is missing the cable anchor bolt and torque-arm fixing bolt; I will search the collection for suitable replacements - fortunately I have examples of the proper items, because...

I also have just got a second hub, almost the same, yet to be examined and prepared. The differences appear to be that this one does have the anchor and fixing bolts, has an axle slotted for tabbed washers, (the one now for sale has no slot); and as well the one for sale has a washer that looks as though it was added later - different finish and OD. For this hub I do not yet know the freewheel threading; nevertheless there will be another hub for sale soon.

Pics below are 20% size, if you want to see the full size ones just ask.

New balls will be supplied in the races. I also have the galvanized spokes, if you want them. This hub was laced to a 700c Rigida steel rim, spokes are 278mm and 2.15 dia by my measure except one set (FW outer?) maybe 280. I kept each set separate, all spokes are good, quite a few of the nipples not so, I will try to source replacements if someone wants the spokes.

80USD/60 GBP and I'll pay postage to anywhere in Canada/USA/UK. 15USD/10GBP extra if you want the spokes too, they'll push the package over 2kg and postage takes a biggish jump.

Last edited by oneclick; 09-30-20 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-01-20, 05:10 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
Nice piece, wish I had a project bike that this would work well with. GLWS
Old 01-24-21, 05:11 AM
oneclick 

Bump as I still have this - and a lot of the other tandem & motobecane bits, headset, front hubs, PU bar sleeve....
Old 01-24-21, 06:54 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Hmmm... the cat is getting curious... What’s the front hub? I have a mid 70’s Gitane tandem that is nearly unstoppable with steel rims.
Old 01-24-21, 11:44 AM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by mountaindave
Hmmm... the cat is getting curious... What’s the front hub? I have a mid 70’s Gitane tandem that is nearly unstoppable with steel rims.
This guy - uses a rear axle and bearings:

Won't help you stopping, but when you can't and run into whatever you're stopping for something else will break first.
Old 01-24-21, 01:54 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Won't help you stopping, but when you can't and run into whatever you're stopping for something else will break first.
I was thinking of building a set of wheels with alloy rims rather than the chromed steel. I am just hoping to slow down rather than erroneously giving my wife the impression that we are actually going to be able to stop.

This belongs in the “bonehead moves” thread but years ago my C/V-ness overtook rationality when I had one of the tandem’s busted wheels rebuilt with a matching steel rim despite urging by the mechanic to reconsider an alloy rim. This was before I started building my own wheels.
Old 04-08-21, 02:59 AM
oneclick 

It's springtime, stuff re-appears from under the detritus; bump.