Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Disc Caliper Loosen/Tighten Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-21, 06:47 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts

I have GRX 400 hydros and I’ve noticed that when loosening the calipers (flat mount on the fork) the top bolt loosens nicely after a 1/4 turn but the bottom bolt needs 2-3 turns to feel as loose as the top bolt.

Reason I ask is because when holding the brake lever and tightening the bolts to align the pads, Sometimes I can’t get them aligned, and I’m wondering if it’s the re-tightening of those bolts (which bolt first, how much to tighten and the slow back and forth that needs to be just right). I seemed to get it right today and all is good. Anyway, just curious thanks!
Old 01-24-21, 09:02 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Are you using the appropriate setting on your torque wrench?
Old 01-24-21, 11:43 AM
Noonievut

Unfortunately my torque wrench head hits the calliper and my wrench doesn’t have an a go-between it and the bit.
Old 01-24-21, 02:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
Unfortunately my torque wrench head hits the calliper and my wrench doesn’t have an a go-between it and the bit.
I would try getting an extension then, if it is a 1/4 drive this will solve ya.
Old 01-24-21, 03:30 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I'd guess that the hydraulic hose is pushing on the caliper. 1/4 turn isn't much, but no more than a turn should loosen any bolt. I have cable operated hydraulic calipers and I have to remove the stiff compressionless cable housing entirely before centering the calipers.
Old 01-24-21, 03:44 PM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would try getting an extension then, if it is a 1/4 drive this will solve ya.
Thanks!

i wasn’t sure about putting an extension on a torque wrench and whether it would impact it in anyway. I have a Canadian Tire by me that sells tools and stuff
Old 01-24-21, 04:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Thanks!

i wasn’t sure about putting an extension on a torque wrench and whether it would impact it in anyway. I have a Canadian Tire by me that sells tools and stuff
You should be OK for something like that. So long as it isn't super loose and imprecise you shouldn't have too big of an issue.

Keep in mind that department stores are not great for buying tools. All kinds of cheap stuff sure but quality is generally not the space of places like that. When buying tools it is always a good practice to buy the absolute best tools you can unless of course it is literally a disposable tool you are only using once and getting rid of which is not something common and not something I would recommend.
Old 01-25-21, 08:38 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Thanks!

It's better than nothing...quick question though, how are you aligning the caliper after you loosen it? If you are just loosening and putting the brakes on, then tightening....your hose may still prevent the caliper from lining up properly. I have had to position it by hand on a friends bike...then tighten.
Old 01-25-21, 05:08 PM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by jadocs
It's better than nothing...quick question though, how are you aligning the caliper after you loosen it? If you are just loosening and putting the brakes on, then tightening....your hose may still prevent the caliper from lining up properly. I have had to position it by hand on a friends bike...then tighten.
This is what I’ll be doing in the future per yours and another’s recommendation. Thanks!