Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

MTB brands to avoid/prefer ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-18, 03:26 AM
cpper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi guys

I’m looking forward to buy a new 29″ XC hardtail bike. After some research I made a list with about 30 bikes that are in my price range, and have more or less the same equipment (SLX/XT/Sram NX with RockShox Air forks)

These are the brands my choices come from. Are there any I should particularly avoid/prefer ? Maybe regarding build quality/ frame resistance ?
  • Orbea
  • Mondraker
  • Ghost
  • Focus
  • Cannondale
  • Scott
  • Cube
  • Canyon
Old 10-26-18, 03:33 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
After everyone fled to Asia it really stopped mattering.
Old 10-26-18, 04:56 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
There's a 95% chance all of the frames on your list are manufactured in Taiwan, with the possible exception of Orbea (aluminum frames made in Spain, carbon ones in China), and Mondraker (don't know much about the brand, seen only their DH bikes). It is even likely all of the frames come from no more than a handful factories. Some of the brands (in particular the European ones) assemble the bikes in their home country and sometimes also paint the frames.

So yeah, as the previous poster said, it doesn't matter much. Get whichever fits you best, looks best to your eye, and has the best service in your area.
Old 10-26-18, 05:27 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by cpper
Hi guys

I’m looking forward to buy a new 29″ XC hardtail bike. After some research I made a list with about 30 bikes that are in my price range, and have more or less the same equipment (SLX/XT/Sram NX with RockShox Air forks)

These are the brands my choices come from. Are there any I should particularly avoid/prefer ? Maybe regarding build quality/ frame resistance ?
  • Orbea
  • Mondraker
  • Ghost
  • Focus
  • Cannondale
  • Scott
  • Cube
  • Canyon
Being all hardtails, i really doubt there is going to be any difference in quality/durability of the frame. Make the decision based The geometry/handeling you want, fit, and part spec,. Also, some of those are mail-order, others froma dealer, so that can make a difference.
Old 10-26-18, 06:04 AM
cpper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the advice guys !
Old 10-26-18, 06:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10999 Post(s)
Liked 7,527 Times in 4,211 Posts
Originally Posted by cpper
Thanks for the advice guys !
Yeah- geometry of each frame and the components within your price range are way more important than brand once you start considering bike shop quality bikes.

The geometry will vary widely, especially chainstay length and head tube angle. Since head tube angle will vary widely, so will the effective top tube length.
Find something with the stack and reach you like which has the best components(fork, drivetrain, and brakes) within your price range.
Old 10-26-18, 07:19 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Five things:

1) Not sure why you would ask in this subforum as opposed to the Mountain Bike subforum. Riders here may or may not ride XC mountain bikes off road. I do, though.

2) You didn't give a budget. That number will drive much of the discussion and will be a decision point on whether to buy from a bike shop, buy from a drop shipper and modify, or simply build yourself.

3) You mention XC, but don't say whether you'll prefer a full suspension or can go with a hardtail. This is another major "fork in the road" of identifying your bike.

4) Ignore brands for the most part, unless you expect to walk into a show room and buy a bike as stocked by the manufacturer. As one poster said above, most manufacturing has moved off shore and the differences in frames are almost negligible unless you're at the top end of the price spectrum.

5) Brands don't matter. Components do matter. Especially suspension forks and shocks. Do your homework and expect to spend $400+ for a decent entry level fork. Air suspension with beefy stancheons, the right throw, adjustability on the fly...all of the features. Put your money there. Also, good hydraulic brakes properly set up.

Good luck.
Old 10-26-18, 08:45 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Five things:

1) Not sure why you would ask in this subforum as opposed to the Mountain Bike subforum. Riders here may or may not ride XC mountain bikes off road. I do, though.

2) You didn't give a budget. That number will drive much of the discussion and will be a decision point on whether to buy from a bike shop, buy from a drop shipper and modify, or simply build yourself.

3) You mention XC, but don't say whether you'll prefer a full suspension or can go with a hardtail. This is another major "fork in the road" of identifying your bike.

4) Ignore brands for the most part, unless you expect to walk into a show room and buy a bike as stocked by the manufacturer. As one poster said above, most manufacturing has moved off shore and the differences in frames are almost negligible unless you're at the top end of the price spectrum.

5) Brands don't matter. Components do matter. Especially suspension forks and shocks. Do your homework and expect to spend $400+ for a decent entry level fork. Air suspension with beefy stancheons, the right throw, adjustability on the fly...all of the features. Put your money there. Also, good hydraulic brakes properly set up.

Good luck.
All good points.

Except he did say he wanted a hardtail.
Old 10-26-18, 09:39 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Always shop for a bike shop first. If you should have a warranty issue, which shop would you feel most comfortable to have working for you?

Once you pick out the right shop, select a brand and style of bike they carry and at a price point you are comfortable with. Do it that way and you'll never go wrong.
Old 10-26-18, 09:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Just Go to a Proper Bike Shop, Pick the shop then get a bike there ..
(NOT Walmart Costco and other big box stores, with No Service After the sale
...other than returning it and getting your money back)

Yup, Taiwan contract OEM quality manufacturing = Many Brands, From Few Factories .
Old 10-26-18, 12:44 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Just say Yes to Fuji

just say no to Trek
Old 10-26-18, 03:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10999 Post(s)
Liked 7,527 Times in 4,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Always shop for a bike shop first. If you should have a warranty issue, which shop would you feel most comfortable to have working for you?

Once you pick out the right shop, select a brand and style of bike they carry and at a price point you are comfortable with. Do it that way and you'll never go wrong.
Absurd.

- The odds of a warranty claim are incredibly small. Selecting a bike because you think the shop that sells it will help you on a warranty claim is fear shopping and totally irrational.
- I suggest to everyone that asks to get the bike that fits them best and has the nicest components for the price they can afford. Who sells it is almost immaterial. My wife's road bike was purchased from a shop I dont like because it fit her best and the components/price were comparable.
- If my favorite shop sells Trek and Giant, but a Specialized bike fits best in the price range I want- why would I buy a Trek or Giant?

Buy based on the bike. Then if you need a shop, go look for one you like.
Old 10-26-18, 04:17 PM
cpper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll most likely buy the bike from an online store, due to availability but also better prices.
The bikes on my list have more or less the same geometry. 500-540mm seat tube (I'm 1.92m tall). Head angle is between 69 and 71°. Chainstay length ranging from 430 to 450mm

I didn't give a budget because the thread is about bike brands in general. I already got my options written on a list and am now looking to eliminate a bunch.
As per the shops I can get my bikes from: there is only one LBS, then two more from my country(Romania), and the other from Germany. I'm constantly buying parts and tools from Germany stores, because of better prices. But I understand warranty would be much of a headache with these shops.
Old 10-26-18, 06:14 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
What fork have you chosen? 29er or 27.5"?
Old 10-26-18, 11:36 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Geometry matters. I think Kona bikes have a unique approach that really works well for me. The handling seems really dialed and is immediately comfortable, with no “getting used to it” period.
Old 10-27-18, 12:54 AM
cpper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
What fork have you chosen? 29er or 27.5"?
Well 29", I mentioned in my first post.

Originally Posted by EdwinHeadwind
Geometry matters. I think Kona bikes have a unique approach that really works well for me. The handling seems really dialed and is immediately comfortable, with no “getting used to it” period.
I also found some Konas with nice geometry, but they are either not in my price range or don't have enough gear ratio. Same case for similar geometry Orbea Laufey.
Old 10-27-18, 11:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
you, with dealer's help, can change component parts at point of sale,
in a proper bike shop, to be what you prefer, regardless of brand.

they're not cling wrapped until you get it home.
Old 10-27-18, 11:23 AM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I would, as some have said get one from a shop. The out-of-the-box condtition of the product can vary widely and I have seen as many as 2 hrs of labor getting a mid-high end bike working properly from the factory warehouse box. At least if you buy it already together from a reputable shop they give you a warranty and a complementary re-adjustment(in my shop is 60days). Kinda surprised Giant isn't on your list. Some of thier products have a better bang for the buck and thier support has been good through the years(as is Trek's).
Old 10-27-18, 02:09 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

If you know what you want and can wrench your own bikes, there is no reason not to go the direct order route like Canyon if you are so inclined.

i have never once bought a complete bike froma shop (though I do oftem buy parts and use them for services like head tube facing and wheel builds). Zero regrets.

Old 10-27-18, 02:15 PM
cpper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtbikerinpa
I would, as some have said get one from a shop. The out-of-the-box condtition of the product can vary widely and I have seen as many as 2 hrs of labor getting a mid-high end bike working properly from the factory warehouse box. At least if you buy it already together from a reputable shop they give you a warranty and a complementary re-adjustment(in my shop is 60days). Kinda surprised Giant isn't on your list. Some of thier products have a better bang for the buck and thier support has been good through the years(as is Trek's).
Buying from a physical shop isn't much of an option in my area...not many products available and prices are better online. I did check Giant bikes, in fact. The ones in my price range have either a Suntour fork(I don't want one on my bike) or are out of stock in the size in need.
Old 10-27-18, 02:29 PM
Off piste pista
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Avoid at all costs any mtb I own, I can't afford a real mtb. Here is a bike like mine

when I was 8. It fell apart on only a 5 mile ride.

Last edited by Off piste pista; 10-27-18 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-27-18, 08:33 PM
cpper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^ That bike just gave my cancer.
Regarding my options, hopefully better ones, I think I've narrowed it down to 3 bikes:There are some geometry differences:

Apart from the differences in the drivetain,the Cannondale has a Judy Gold fork, the Cube Reaction Race a Judy Silver, and the Race One a Recon Silver. I'm not sure how much better the Judy Gold is, since it seems it has the TK damper, like the other two.
What about Judy Silver vs Recon Silver ?
Old 10-28-18, 08:17 AM
surlyprof

Bikes: 2011 Rivendell Sam Hillborne, 2016 Brompton M6R, 2017 Ritchey Timberwolf

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Personally, in hardtails, I prefer the ride of steel over aluminum. Have you looked at bikes by Niner (Sir9) and Jamis (Dragonslayer)? I was considering the 27.5 versions of those when I bought a Ritchey Timberwolf. Both had solid reviews. Couldn’t find anywhere to try them though.

John
Old 10-28-18, 08:26 AM
cpper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just checked them out... nice bikes but can't afford any.
Old 10-28-18, 10:10 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
The cube reaction race seems to be the better of the 3 in terms of having the current standards. 1x12 drivetrain, thru axles, boost spacing (on the front at least, you may want to verify what the rear has before buying), and decent brakes.

The other cube has QR axles, and the cannondale says it has a custom rear axle QR spacing. Upgraded wheel sets may be difficult to find or very limited in selection for those. I ran into this problem recently, wound up buying a custom built set which worked out ok but wasn't cheap. Just something to consider.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.