Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Brooks Saddle Question for 330lb rider on rough roads

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-10, 12:19 AM
SCROUDS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm currently looking at parts for another mtn bike -> upright utility / commuter / do all bike. One of the things I wanted to try over the old set up was to get a good sprung saddle, allowing me to decrease the tire size. As I ride on a lot of brick roads, I need something to cushion me. I'm currently around 330lb (and dropping wooohoo). The bike is being planned with a fully upright riding position.

I'm currently looking at 3 brooks saddles. The favorite right now is the B135, with heavy duty double rear coils and a double loop front spring.

The other option I'm looking at is the B33, looks pretty badass. This is a beast, triple rail and stranded real coil and a front loop.

And in the back of my mind, I think that maybe just maybe I'm doing a little overkill, and a b66/b67 would be a-ok for the job. The b67 has the advantage of not needing an adaptor or new seat post, as it will work with a microadjust post.

Any thoughts? Any other suggestions?
Old 09-17-10, 02:21 AM
Mazama
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How rough are the roads? I weigh a bit more than you and I have owned the B67, B33 and currently the B17 (unsprung) model. The B67 failed on me when the front bolt sheared off within a year. The B33 is a nice (BIG) saddle, but you do need to buy an adapter, I found out the hard way. I'll have to admit, the B17 has outlived both of the sprung models, and probably my favorite-Keep in mind I only ride on pavement.
Old 09-17-10, 07:43 AM
SCROUDS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The good brick is pretty decent, you still feel it though. Kind of jossles you around. Some of the rougher roads introduce waves and washboard like stuff and spoke killing gaps. Kind of hard to explain. The rougher roads compare to cobblestone to give you an idea.

Check out the brick pics here: https://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/...-say-about-us/
Old 09-17-10, 08:15 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
The micro adjust feature is worth it's weight in gold!
Old 09-17-10, 12:50 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have the Brooks flyer pre-aged on my commuter/touring bike. I don't even feel it when I'm riding. Which I suppose should be the feeling all saddles have.

A totally upright commuter will put more weight on your sit bones. I think something with more springs and maybe a little wider than normal would probably work better for you. However the tires and saddle should work in harmony to help smooth out the bumps.
Old 09-17-10, 01:47 PM
SCROUDS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well all the choices above are wider. The b67/135 are the same width, the b33 is a little wider. The b33 would have to give up the micro adjust and buy a new seat post. The 135 can use an adapter while the lighter b67 just has regular rails.

There's a b190 that's really wide, but I don't think I need that.
Old 09-17-10, 03:15 PM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'm thinking about a B33 myself, been lusting a while. I don't know if I can live up to the badassedness required. Honey or black? Don't know why I agonize over the color, but I do. I'll probably pop for it when I see the right deal. Those springs are in for a workout.

Last edited by slorollin; 09-17-10 at 03:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-17-10, 05:51 PM
Saltybeagle

Bikes: Cannondale H300, Tommasini Velocista, Jamis Xenith Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the b17 imperial, though the rivets popped after 2.5 years
Old 09-20-10, 11:06 AM
2ndBackwall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just recently purchased a road bike (been mountain biking all my life).

I'm big, at 265-ish, 6'4".

I was lucky, and the Thudbuster that I ran on my MTB fit my new roadbike. World of a difference.

Sure.. not the most 'roadie' thing I could do. Are suspension posts a bad word around here?

I know this doesn't exactly answer the TS's question, just throwing it out there. Take the boing
out of the saddle, and put it in the post.. you can then use pretty much any saddle you'd like.

No?

Last edited by 2ndBackwall; 09-20-10 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 12:25 PM
wadethegiant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dont get a sprung saddle. Saddles with spring have a frame with a top rail that is too close to the leather for us heavy guys. The ones with a front spring are even worse. No way to keep the leather tight enough to keep our weight off of the top rails. I learned the hard way (and it was hard!)

Get a b68 aged.

I am 275lbs BTW.
Old 09-20-10, 01:50 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't rely on a saddle - any saddle - to cushion you from serious bumps. If you want to reduce impact from rough roads you'd be much better off with a thudbuster seatpost than a sprung saddle.

BTW - welcome, 2ndbackwall. I agree with you.
Old 09-21-10, 11:15 AM
SCROUDS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like the thudbuster has a max weight of 250. I'm not even close, add a backpack and its worse.

The b33 on brooks' site is listed as "a good choice for heavier commuters." I can see the point about the rails, but I'm wondering if that depends on individual anatomy or is overall for heavy people. Right now I'm leaning towards a purchase at a place with a good return policy, so there's no risk if its not for me.