Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

So Clyde wants to run as well

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-12, 10:46 PM
longhaultrucker

Bikes: 86' schwinn sprint updated and converted to touring, Trek 3 series, trek 1.2, and as soon as the disk LHT comes out it will be added

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am still a Clyde my Job and life Situation has forced me to return to working more and riding less. I want to toss in a bit of running as well but feel after a L4-5 back surgery that I am still too heavy to run anything that would be actually called running. So my question is what weight is a good target to start thinking about it again I am still in the 310 range and am down 20 pounds from my all time high. I carry the weight well but am wanting to think about again when I'm in the 240 range as the less the impact on my back the better. Where did you start running of you did and do you think you started too soon or waited to long?
Old 07-20-12, 04:43 AM
Mazama
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please take a look at the (Couch to 5K) program linked below. I am heavier than you, 45 years old and I completed two 5K runs this past spring. Prior to this I had not run in 20 years:

https://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Old 07-20-12, 06:54 AM
Acquaspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
www.jeffgalloway.com

I'm not associated in any way to that guy/company. This is the guy behind the run-walk method, i believe the world famous c25k implements the theory during the first weeks of the program.

The gradual approach will make it gentler in your joints and get you up and running (no pun intended) in no time.

Good luck
Old 07-20-12, 07:48 AM
Wolfwerx

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour (x2), '83 Bianchi, '96 Trek 820, '96 Trek 470, '99 Xmart Squishy Bike, '03 Giant Cypress

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go to two (or more, if necessary) real shoe stores (not Dicks, or a department store, but an honest-to-god running shoe store) and have them fit you and work with you.
I say "two stores" because you want to make sure that you're getting into the right shoe for your stride, not just something that the store has a whole bunch of stock on. If both places recommend a stability shoe, vs. another style, for example, then you can perhaps feel a bit more comfortable with the recommendation. The good shoes are going to be fairly expensive. They're worth it. This is all fairly accepted advice by most any runner. Also, of a more personal nature: us big folk generally have big thighs. This can cause some... friction... when moving those legs, so I really recommend buying some good sweat-wicking compression shorts/boxer briefs with a long leg on them. This is just a comfort thing, not a "necessity" exactly, but worth mentioning I believe.

Now for my personal thoughts: Unless you really want to, don't feel obligated to spend 100's of dollars on Under Armor everything, GPS watch, full hydration system belt, fancy sweat-wicking shoe laces, and special talismans to align your chakras, or whatever. Not that they aren't nice, just not necessary. I have the watch and water-belt, but I didn't for my first couple of years. Not until my miles regularly were in the double-digits.
I really am a big fan of the run/walk idea. It's more-or-less how I got started in running, and I am currently a regular half-marathoner. Simply put: just get out there and start walking whenever you can. You can do this right now. When you're feeling spritely, hustle it up a bit and jog for a while. Don't worry that your "jog" is 2 miles an hour. And don't try to sprint full-tilt at first. Just do a natural stride, and be mindful of your breathing. As you improve, your ratio of walking to running will start leaning a lot more towards the running. I was blown away the first time I realized I had gone a mile non-stop running! That turned into 5k, then 5 miles, then 10, etc. My biggest piece of advice is this: don't overdo it, it is very easy to get an overuse injury and then there's no more running or biking for a while.

I've noticed that when I'm really focusing on my training, my weight drops much quicker with running than with cycling. Paired together, though, it is a dynamite combo. Also, I have some knee issues and I find that the cross-training effect of biking and running helps keep the muscles around my knees in the best shape.

Perhaps talk this over with your doctor.
Old 07-20-12, 07:56 AM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I started running as an alternative and as a way to cross train. Started with 3-4 miles, with walking when I got tired. Now my base is a 5-mile run at 9:30 pace, and I have completed several 10-milers including a race.

I started in the 230s, and it hurt my knees and my back. Pain went away when I was in the 220s, and now at 202-205 nothing hurts, ever.

PLEASE get good shoes. Go to a running shop (one with a decent attitude where they won't judge you!) and try at least 3 pairs and make sure they watch you run in them. Different shoes are made for different strides, and if you get the wrong one it will be a problem. FWIW, I settled on Saucony Triumphs and love them. I've just started trail running, but that's a whole other disucssion.
Old 07-20-12, 08:01 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Run until your back tells you to stop. Rest. Repeat.
Old 07-20-12, 08:03 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
I'm a big fan of running myself. All good advice you've received so far, especially the part about building volume very slowly.

One thing I'll add is that running makes you hungry! lol This isn't a bad thing really, as it means you're burning more calories so your body is making you aware of the fact. Knowing this up front will help you prepare to properly handle the cravings when the hunger hits. I'm assuming one of the main reasons you're looking at running is because of the weight loss/health aspects (aren't we all?) so you don't want to hinder your progress with your eating.

I did a half marathon last fall. I spent ten months training for it. The last two months of my training I was running 30+ miles per week. Despite all this I gained 15 pounds over this ten month period. Why? Because I wasn't watching what I was eating. I'd come in from a run and try to justify eating everything in sight. In retrospect I wish I would have kept my eating in check and realized some of the weight-loss benefits of all that training.

On the other hand, crossing that finish line was the greatest accomplishment of my life!

Good for you on wanting to start running. If you keep at it you may even learn to enjoy it. I did.
Old 07-20-12, 09:03 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I can't comment on your situation, but I suggest you watch the surface. Running on concrete is altogether different than a dirt trail, soft track or treadmill. I do regular 40 minute runs, but not on concrete; my knees would be candidate for surgery if I went back to the street.
Old 07-20-12, 09:28 AM
rearviewbeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tundra is correct - but I think that is more for longer distances, above 8 miles or so. I had an issue when I did half-marathons, but not when doing 10ks.
Old 07-20-12, 09:31 AM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
I can't comment on your situation, but I suggest you watch the surface. Running on concrete is altogether different than a dirt trail, soft track or treadmill. I do regular 40 minute runs, but not on concrete; my knees would be candidate for surgery if I went back to the street.
Yup. Start with the softer stuff (even asphalt is pretty soft in the summer, believe it or not) and as you get stronger work up to concrete. I can run 10 pretty easily on asphalt, but the race I referenced was on concrete (an old parkway). My cardio was fine, but oddly at the end the soles of my feet felt bruised. I'm pretty sure that was the concrete.
Old 07-20-12, 09:55 AM
CJ C

Bikes: Wally World Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser (with siily wicker front basket)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FrenchFit

I ran on concrete but when i switched to the treadmill is when i injured my knee.
Old 07-20-12, 02:13 PM
longhaultrucker

Bikes: 86' schwinn sprint updated and converted to touring, Trek 3 series, trek 1.2, and as soon as the disk LHT comes out it will be added

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will only buy sports shoes from a good running store that has cameras pointed at the treadmill. Doing this will get you the most comfy shoes you will ever own even if you don't run.
I tried the c25k thing in the past but I think it was too soon after my back surgery. After 2 or 300 feet I would start to loose feeling in my upper legs and if I kept going they would stop cooperating altogether. I figured it had a lot to do with lugging and bouncing a extra hundred pounds, so I would wait till the 240 neighborhood and try again but I may even wait till the 220 area. I loved running and did so everywhere when I was younger and wasn't on my bike. Until I got pushed down a flight of stairs as a joke. 20 years or so latter I had a accident at work where something that's impossible and can't ever happen did. And the result wasn't being asked if I wanted to get cut open but rather lost all use ofmy legs for 5 days. I can ride without any problems but am scared to start running sooner than my body can handle it. And talking to a doctor that's never been a Clyde really doesn't help as he just tells me what the books tell him to say. Not saying his points aren't valid it just helps to have a view from this side of the fence.
Old 07-20-12, 02:33 PM
longhaultrucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am getting ready to change jobs to where I will have a 20 mile ride to get to work and that's gonna bring the weight down pretty fast as well but I did learn the hard way to ignore the hunger demands the last time I had a long commute. I swear it was worse than the days when I had the munches years ago.
Old 07-20-12, 02:56 PM
adrien

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by longhaultrucker
I am getting ready to change jobs to where I will have a 20 mile ride to get to work and that's gonna bring the weight down pretty fast as well but I did learn the hard way to ignore the hunger demands the last time I had a long commute. I swear it was worse than the days when I had the munches years ago.
to mix it up a bit more -- ever tried riding fixed gear? It's about midway between running and riding a road bike in terms of intensity of workout. A nice way to mix it up if budget and space allow...
Old 07-20-12, 05:14 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
back about 90 lbs ago I used to run 300 days a year. My knees still feel it.

I am slowly getting back into running so he is my 2 cents YMMV this is me YMMV

I use a HRM....
I walk until I am at the low end of the range I want to be in,
start running and run until I hit the high end of my range
walk again until HR drops to low end and then start running again
repeat

the other thing I am working on is doing a mid/fore foot strike, rather than a heel strike and roll. (some will call this barefoot running style) I I can run and my knees don't hurt by doing this.

I also have gone from the monster support,cushion shoes.... like Brooks beast to less show....in this case nike free's. With the frees if I do a heel strike I can feel it and they help me run forefoot/mid foot

Old 07-20-12, 07:32 PM
longhaultrucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad

I use a HRM....
I walk until I am at the low end of the range I want to be in,
start running and run until I hit the high end of my range
walk again until HR drops to low end and then start running again
repeat
t
How fast did your endurance come up I did this when I started in the elliptical and was amazed at how fast I was able to go from struggling to finish five min to going full blast for 2 hours
, it only took 2 and a half weeks either way I like the sound of it and am going to have to try it