Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Reminder: Always Look On a Green Light

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Reminder: Always Look On a Green Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-19, 12:20 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
What's believable is your "response."

...private citizen's database of unverified complaints from strangers....

-mr. bill
Old 09-04-19, 04:46 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Red light runners? I've got a helmet-cam full of 'em myself! It's too bad you can't easily "drop a dime" on them online. Although, I heard on a podcast that in NYC they have a crowdsourced database on one of the social media platforms.

As far as red light runners being an obvious caveat...maybe they're not so obvious. We all ride in different situations and locations, and are all at different "skill" levels. There is always a new crop of new riders who haven't been "seasoned" yet. Traffic density is growing in many cities (and falling in others).

All of us can get lulled into complacency and a sense of false security from time to time. And distractions from our immediate surroundings abound as well as things on our minds and on our phones.

A Youtube reminder is much preferable to the risks or results of a real red light runner.

And as I have stated many times before, a post like this should be a catalyst to reflect on and examine your own riding habits and strategies for keeping safe.

Thanks for posting @SactoDoug
I very nearly got hit by a red-light runner just few months ago. It was on a very quiet street that crosses on of the main streets here in town. For some reason I did not immediately start acrossthe road when the light facing me turned green. that was good since a car travelling at a very high rate of speed (speed limit there is 25mph/40kph) zoomed through the red light. Fortunately the car driver to my left had also not moved immediately the light facing us turned green.

I remember reading about bicycle safety many, many years ago and the advice given in the book, including getting through intersections as fast as you could since they are relatively dangerous to bicyclists with parking lots being more dangerous.

Not every bicyclist realizes the potential danger of a re-light running motorist and especially if such doesn't occur very often where they are. Thus the OP did a good thing here.

Cheers
Old 09-04-19, 05:08 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
What's believable is your "response."

-mr. bill
As is yours, another quirky reference to OT unrelated "stuff" with no relevance to the topic - real world reference to actual cases where the close call database led to anything related to legal action against anybody.
Old 09-04-19, 05:53 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
The topic is look before you cross the street. Hope this helps.

-mr. bill