Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Newbie Intolerant...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Newbie Intolerant...

Old 09-05-19, 08:42 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
I agree with Randy. Has to be a better process. Who cares if they dont come back right away. It can be intimidating to be a lurker seeing everyone correct each other or feeling like it's more of a clique. Then its expected they make 10 posts because they sign up. IMO, it's prevented this from growing and seeing other cool bikes or collections.

As for values, yes many will ask and its why other types of bikes don't do that. Taboo.... That should go away instead, C&V is about the only place that is offered and its subjective due to markets and fluctuations. I believe it hurts values. Bikes are worth what someone will pay based on how bad they want to relive the past, income level, current market and what the condition is.

Last edited by Bikerider007; 09-05-19 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-05-19, 10:22 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
I actually don't know specifically why I drink so much.
But this thread is giving me some clues, anyway.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-05-19, 10:28 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
I'm still not sure what you guys are arguing about. The four new people in this thread all support the rule.

I understand that the appraisal forums are tough without pictures, but there are ways to post pictures if you really need instant gratification. As for value, ultimately, what people are willing to pay is what they're worth. I have two bikes and a pickup truck that are worth more to me than what people would pay. (Especially the pickup truck.) The market decides what it will bear. People need to remember that when coming to a forum and looking for an answer. When I was researching my Shogun, I came to this forum, looked at previous posts and went from there. I wasn't a member, but you've answered so many questions about bike value that a majority of things people would find have already been given an appraisal. If you have a hand-built so-and-so that had a full run of 150 bikes a year and you *know* it's rare, then join the forum and wait a couple days.

I'm a curmudgeon. *shakes fist* Just post ten times and get off my lawn!
Likes For TriBiker19:
Old 09-05-19, 10:30 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Maybe you just want to be someplace where everybody knows your name?
Old 09-05-19, 10:43 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Good grief, as usual we go off on strange tangents. My original concern or question was...

"So, does anyone have any ideas that might help find a way for the new comers to share pics faster, facilitating their needs and helping us to do the same thing"?

This is a request to find a functional alternative to the ten post rule. Not an attempt to allow scammers easy access. I was just seeking ideas for improvement.

Anyway, for those new people who support the rule, that is fine. But would it not have been nicer, easier, more fun and more productive without having to do ten things over two days.

In closing, how many new people have said "to heck with it" and gone elsewhere? My guess is that if the BF people could nail that number, they would start a thread like this themselves.

Please remember, and this not make me special, I used to do this for a living and I did it for a long time, taking our place of work (where I worked) from a mediocre producer of newsprint to world class standard. That is what I was hoping readers would get from this thread. But, as usual, we get everything but what was asked, with one or two exceptions.
Old 09-05-19, 10:53 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
If one considers him/her self an unpaid customer service rep for Internet Brands, that's fine. Odd, but fine, I guess.

I certainly don't. If we get a "guidelines" thread for newbs, great. If not, no biggie.

Continued debate over the ten post wait is pointless. As said a few posts back, there's nothing stopping anyone from starting their own internet forum site. If you think there is a sizable group out there with nowhere else to turn because of the ten post thing, well, there's your first set of "customers."

I'm going back to bike topics.

Happy riding.
Old 09-05-19, 11:22 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Unrelated to the thread topic -- just a shout-out to @randyjawa for his success, and that of his employer, in what is an exceedingly difficult business to survive, much less thrive, in. With notoriously difficult customers, too!
Likes For conspiratemus1:
Old 09-05-19, 11:53 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Never forget. As with so much of the internet, we aren't the customers of this forum: we're the product. Our information is Hoovered up, folded, spindled, mutilated, and packaged to be sold to advertisers who are the customers of the business that owns the forum. How else could it be "free"? Sure a business should listen to its customers, but them ain't us. We're the wood-pulp that flows through Randy's forestry products mill.

I still like it here, though.
Likes For conspiratemus1:
Old 09-05-19, 05:19 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by TriBiker19
Maybe you just want to be someplace where everybody knows your name?
That would depend on the Precinct.
Old 09-05-19, 05:20 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
Never forget. As with so much of the internet, we aren't the customers of this forum: we're the product. Our information is Hoovered up, folded, spindled, mutilated, and packaged to be sold to advertisers who are the customers of the business that owns the forum. How else could it be "free"? Sure a business should listen to its customers, but them ain't us. We're the wood-pulp that flows through Randy's forestry products mill.

I still like it here, though.

I like it here, too. Or have I just been convinced of that, Les?
Old 09-05-19, 06:31 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

I like it here, too. Or have I just been convinced of that, Les?
Well, me, I'm just a wood-pulp kind of guy. You, I dunno....always thought you were made of stronger fibre. <Rim shot>
Old 09-05-19, 07:30 PM
mac mini 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I joined 8/9/16. This is my tenth post. I use Google to answer most of my questions. In my opinion most people who post want to expound or chat and can get to 10 posts very quickly. So now, because this is the vintage forum, I would like to say, i.e. , to expound, that tan sidewalls are ugly. They are ugly on vintage bicycles, new bicycles, narrow tires, and wide. When choosing a tire please choose black. Thank you.
Old 09-05-19, 07:33 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Originally Posted by mac mini
So now, because this is the vintage forum, I would like to say, i.e. , to expound, that tan sidewalls are ugly. They are ugly on vintage bicycles, new bicycles, narrow tires, and wide. When choosing a tire please choose black. Thank you.
No love for the gum sidewalls. Got it.

Welcome to the can-post-images club!
Likes For TriBiker19:
Old 09-05-19, 07:37 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Preach it, Brother Robbie!
Old 09-05-19, 08:43 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,219 Times in 643 Posts
I'll join in with thanks to Randy and others for generously helping newcomers and suspending judgement about the relative merit of their bikes or technical expertise.

this is great work and I think seriously undervalued !

so here's what I'd suggest as a pre-amble for newbies posting requests for help:

thanks for sharing your question with the Bike Forums C&V crew. Even tho we don't charge for our support and expertise, you are drawing on the collective wisdom of many experienced folks who want nothing more than to help you resolve your problem so you can better enjoy the sport.

Our "ASK" of you is simple - describe your problem / frame your question as clearly as possible. Be specific ! Measurements and pictures REALLY help.

when you act on information and recommendations you got here - tell us what you did, what worked and what didn't.

tell us when the problem is resolved and what it was that fixed it. post a pic ! That way we can learn too.

my point being, we're delivering a lot of value here for no money. I think the challenge is to cause the new people to place a value on the information they are getting. They may well become a regular participant in our group. which is the best outcome.

these are my deep thoughts

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 09-05-19, 09:25 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
I joined 8/9/16. This is my tenth post. I use Google to answer most of my questions. In my opinion most people who post want to expound or chat and can get to 10 posts very quickly. So now, because this is the vintage forum, I would like to say, i.e. , to expound, that tan sidewalls are ugly. They are ugly on vintage bicycles, new bicycles, narrow tires, and wide. When choosing a tire please choose black. Thank you.
Sorry mac, gum, tan, skinwall are all as C+V as can be as the day is long, you don't have to put them on but many a proper build will have them, always have, always will, just the way it is.

But just for you, here's about the only one I have changed it up on because it's entirely possible it could have come this way.

1958 Schwinn Paramount

Last edited by merziac; 09-06-19 at 12:27 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-05-19, 10:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42
Pretty darn certain the "posting from your own computer's files" workaround still works. I suggested it to someone a month or two ago and their next post had photos. If I have time before Dorian arrives I'll prove it. If not, then when the power and interwebs come back, whenever that might be.
I believe the issue has to do with blocking hyperlinks, so simply uploading from one's local computer won't do anything.

However, I believe "Attachments" still works.

One can use the [attach]<Image_Number>[/attach]
to specify where the photo belongs in the message.
Old 09-06-19, 03:08 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Bike Forums is the only "social media" I post on presently specifically because of the work done by the moderator staff keeping spam, or worse, at a minimum. Any other forums I have joined in the past, when you sign up, you cannot post at all and just have to wait a couple days for a moderator to email you if accepted. I'm sure that could easily be done here but that is a decision I have no opinion on.
I have little memory cells left, but I think I posted pics right off my computer on my first or second post here.
Old 09-06-19, 06:40 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Gasp!

Welcome!
Old 09-06-19, 06:52 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
Thank you for saying this. I know some people join after lurking because they have a link they want to share, and they are frustrated. That's too bad, but they could have gotten to 10 posts before. Also, maybe 1/10th of the people that want to post pics of their bikes will participate here after they get their answer, and I'm sorry our rules frustrate them as well. But the never ending stream of people that want to sell a bike and go away and can't do it is something I really have a hard time feeling sorry about. They are little better than spammers.

As far as tan sidewalls go, it's a matter of taste and in my experience. it's mostly a matter of what you are used to seeing. When I started cycling, the only tires that had black sidewalls were cheap CX tires. If tire companies stopped making black sidewalls again, we would get used to it after a while, and black sidewalls would look funny. But tan sidewalls don't look that great to me any more.
Old 09-06-19, 06:56 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,690 Posts
"I'll give you my gumwalls when you pry them from my cold, dead hands"

Voyageur by cb400bill, on Flickr
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 09-06-19, 06:59 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
I love gumwalls because, when I was growing up, they were the exotic thing while I could only afford cheap black tires. On the other hand, gumwalls are easier to get dirty and oil marks on them and then they don't look as nice, while you can't see the marks on black ones so they look consistent. Kind of like white hoods, I love them on other people's well-maintained bikes and I want them on my bike where they would match nicely, but I'm not sure I want to go to the effort of putting them on and keeping them clean.

If I were going to describe gumwalls (or light colored bar tape/hoods) like an NFL or NBA prospect, I'd say that they have a higher ceiling for looking nice, but also a much lower floor for looking bad if they get all nasty. Black tires (and hoods and tape) have a consistent level.
Old 09-08-19, 07:23 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Has anyone checked the ratio of members to guests? Esp in C&V.

Many times the ratio is 10 guests to 1 member.

People are able to get TONS of info - and search as well, without ANY affiliation.

Maybe instead of 10 posts in 2 days, maybe 6 posts in 2 days. But there are some persistent spammers.
I've been on other sites where there were maybe 10 registered members to 50+ guests and in that case I would almost guarantee most of those were webcrawlers.
Old 09-08-19, 07:26 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I love gumwalls because, when I was growing up, they were the exotic thing while I could only afford cheap black tires. On the other hand, gumwalls are easier to get dirty and oil marks on them and then they don't look as nice, while you can't see the marks on black ones so they look consistent. Kind of like white hoods, I love them on other people's well-maintained bikes and I want them on my bike where they would match nicely, but I'm not sure I want to go to the effort of putting them on and keeping them clean.

If I were going to describe gumwalls (or light colored bar tape/hoods) like an NFL or NBA prospect, I'd say that they have a higher ceiling for looking nice, but also a much lower floor for looking bad if they get all nasty. Black tires (and hoods and tape) have a consistent level.
If you can't put big hubcaps on it, gumwalls ain't so bad.

Old 09-08-19, 08:01 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts
And now, Newbie InTolerance Thread brings you, traditional Japanese Haiku...

this whole thread, I read.
Bike Jesus, whats wrong with me?
won't get back that time *

*sadface

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.