Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hi, from Central NJ

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hi, from Central NJ

Old 09-10-19, 10:58 AM
Lu..

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roll Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Hi, from Central NJ

Hello, middle ager new member from NJ.

Been struggling with weight all my life (currently 350lbs)..always get motivated to exercise but as usual it is only short term and go to my typical bad habits in a couple of days.

A few months ago, I had a long great conversation with a work colleague on cycling, that it got me motivated to bring down my old Trek bike from my garage’s rafters and remove the dust it accumulated over the decades.

Went to a few LBSs to see if they could tune it up and all basically said it is not worth servicing as it might cost more than a new ride. Thought it was a gimmick to get me to spend money so I started to do some research...which turned into being fascinated with cycling overall. Looks like a lot has changed in the sport since the mid 90s. The last time I was obsessed like this was 15 years ago when I got into motorcycles.

I’m an avid motorcyclists, love National Parks and take long rides every other year to them. In fact, my buddies and I just came back from Glacier National Park last month. It was an epic ride, 6K+ miles in 2+ weeks of vacation. Loved every minute of it, although it was the first time I really noticed that there are a lot of cyclists out there. I really enjoyed meeting and talking to them during my vacation that it peaked my interest even more.

So fast forward and to make a long story short...got a great deal on a leftover Specialized Roll Sport...I’ve ridden more on a bicycle the last 4 weeks than my entire life and have surprised myself how much I enjoyed it and had fun...I’m on the internet everyday researching and have even bought magazines!!!

To date, I have lost 10 lbs with not only cycling, but more importantly, watching what I eat. I feel this is different vs all the other diet/exercise fads I’ve tried so many times for so long. I really hope this is the defining moment of the lifestyle change that I needed to get healthy.

I’m looking forward to the knowledge I gain in this forum and discovering myself as I ease into this sport.

Sorry for being long winded but appreciate taking the time to reading this intro.
Old 09-10-19, 04:06 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Welcome to bike forums. Stick with it and remember, "It is a process."
Old 09-11-19, 08:22 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Welcome! Glad to hear that you're enjoying cycling and it's positive impacts.
Old 09-11-19, 03:53 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,136 Times in 1,441 Posts
Welcome. Cycling is mentally and physically addicting. You’ll find lots of support and thoughts in our Clydesdale forum
Old 09-11-19, 04:26 PM
BigJonny

Bikes: 1984 Motobecane Mirage Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lu..
Hello, middle ager new member from NJ.

Been struggling with weight all my life (currently 350lbs)..always get motivated to exercise but as usual it is only short term and go to my typical bad habits in a couple of days.

A few months ago, I had a long great conversation with a work colleague on cycling, that it got me motivated to bring down my old Trek bike from my garage’s rafters and remove the dust it accumulated over the decades.

Went to a few LBSs to see if they could tune it up and all basically said it is not worth servicing as it might cost more than a new ride. Thought it was a gimmick to get me to spend money so I started to do some research...which turned into being fascinated with cycling overall. Looks like a lot has changed in the sport since the mid 90s. The last time I was obsessed like this was 15 years ago when I got into motorcycles.

I’m an avid motorcyclists, love National Parks and take long rides every other year to them. In fact, my buddies and I just came back from Glacier National Park last month. It was an epic ride, 6K+ miles in 2+ weeks of vacation. Loved every minute of it, although it was the first time I really noticed that there are a lot of cyclists out there. I really enjoyed meeting and talking to them during my vacation that it peaked my interest even more.

So fast forward and to make a long story short...got a great deal on a leftover Specialized Roll Sport...I’ve ridden more on a bicycle the last 4 weeks than my entire life and have surprised myself how much I enjoyed it and had fun...I’m on the internet everyday researching and have even bought magazines!!!

To date, I have lost 10 lbs with not only cycling, but more importantly, watching what I eat. I feel this is different vs all the other diet/exercise fads I’ve tried so many times for so long. I really hope this is the defining moment of the lifestyle change that I needed to get healthy.

I’m looking forward to the knowledge I gain in this forum and discovering myself as I ease into this sport.

Sorry for being long winded but appreciate taking the time to reading this intro.
Welcome to the Forum,

I dropped 25 lbs when I started cycling in earnest a number of months ago; my story is rather peculiar as I dedicated myself to restoring classic Motobecanes about a year ago, but did not ride them as I sold and gifted them to family. This final restore I kept for myself and am glad I did as I'll be 75 in October and wanted to get into excellent shape for a fellow my age.

Anyway - after a few months you'll notice wonderful things happening to you as your body responds to the daily bike ride. I started with a five mile run every day at 0700 hours; now I'm at 12 miles and I feel great.

Stick to a daily schedule, rain or shine, and you'll feel great too as the endorphins kick in after a vigorous ride on a good bike.

Ride hard, ride safe.

J.