Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Wow my LBS sucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-09, 02:54 PM
Lanzo

Bikes: None ATM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow my LBS sucks

Well went into my LBS, and man what a dump. there are used bikes EVERYWHERE no place to walk just a trail to the till, bins of aluminum can tabs (don't know why didn't want to ask) some sort of food stuff just shoved into the middle of the walk way....part of the roof has water damaged and the tiles have fallen off. The place has the look of someone who has no pride in their business, or is just to lazy to care. My thoughts on it are if they don't take care of their shop, they wont do right by my bike. So looks like its Edmonton, or Red Deer to find a good shop.
Old 08-30-09, 03:09 PM
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a cool place to hang out, manned by a bunch of dudes who'd rather ride than clean.

With all the aluminum can tabs, I'd have asked where the beer 'fridge was.
Old 08-30-09, 03:25 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
It's one of those judgement calls Lanzo. Find out how long they have been in business before you give them business. I've been in shops which felt cluttered and disorganized, but good people. I've also been to shops that were immaculate, but the people their were a bit snobbish for me. I don't know how many LBS are in your area, but some people have shops that they go to for purchases and/or repairs rather than go to the shop they bought their bike from.
Old 08-30-09, 03:33 PM
cyclefreaksix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wish there was someplace like that around here! Sounds like a cool place. All we have around here are ultra clean, sterile, mass marketed bike shops.

I miss the mom and pop shops.
Old 08-30-09, 03:57 PM
thompsonpost

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
My LBS is in my basement. I keep a drum kit next to the bench. Beer in the fridge.

Old 08-30-09, 08:16 PM
DelusionalDude

Bikes: Giant Sedona, vintage unknown. Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, vintage unknown.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are actually 4 pretty good bike shops within 35 miles of my front door. All seem to have good people and good reputations. Yeah, I've got it pretty good.
Old 08-30-09, 09:25 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Maybe low margins on bikes, high rent in Alberta and an 11,000 person population has something to do with the shop condition?
Old 08-30-09, 09:29 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you live in the great white north you don't have a whole lot of choices...
Old 08-30-09, 09:56 PM
kwduffy02

Bikes: 2000 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2008 Specialized Roubiax Elite, 1970's Murray 10 Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got 3 LBS by me, one is the super clean place with the shop mostly hidden behind the walls, the second is run by an old man who isn't very good at Customer Service and sells mostly Mountain Bikes and BMX bikes, and the third which is my favorite (since they sponsor my schools cycling club and team) is very laid back with a couple stools at the counter to sit around and talk about bikes, and a shop where the people don't mind if you pop your head around the corner to talk for a bit or answer questions or let you borrow an allen key or wrench.

But it sounds like the LBS you described might be a good place just to hang around and shoot the bull about bikes in a nice laid back atmosphere, but it does sound like they could use a few housekeeping tips hehe.
Old 08-31-09, 04:11 AM
Mazama
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thompsonpost
My LBS is in my basement. I keep a drum kit next to the bench. Beer in the fridge.
I'm bringing my bike by for a tune-up!
Old 08-31-09, 06:10 AM
thompsonpost

Call me when you get close. I'm hard to find. Pizza guys always get lost.

Bring an axe or a bass if you can.

Last edited by thompsonpost; 08-31-09 at 08:18 AM.

Old 08-31-09, 11:20 AM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, sounds like they have their priorities in the right place. i have been in many bike shops and the best ones are the most disorganised. i don't like the sterile mega mall bike shops around these days. my lbs looks like a complete dump but the queue in there is crazy sometimes and they flock far and wide to get there too
Old 08-31-09, 01:13 PM
cod.peace

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DelusionalDude
There are actually 4 pretty good bike shops within 35 miles of my front door. All seem to have good people and good reputations. Yeah, I've got it pretty good.
Got you beat. 35 miles would probably be about 25 bike shops ranging from shops catering to family riding to high end road racing. At least 25. I'm about 10 miles from the famous Harris Cyclery too. Cool bunch over there.
Old 08-31-09, 01:41 PM
Hill-Pumper

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm fairly lucky, I have 8 shops that I know of within 15 miles and another 10 within 35 miles. Add in only being 70, miles away from the bike mecca of Portland, and I have no problem finding a good shop. I will say however to the OP's concern about an untidy shop is somewhat warranted, I find the way they treat me more important. I have one shop that I hear great things about, but every time I have gone in there, I get ignored or treated like I'm wasting their time. The shops that I use treat me with respect, answer my questions and get my business. I figure if they treat me with respect, they will treat my bikes the same.
Old 08-31-09, 03:14 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
None of the shops in Redmond are clutter heaps. Only one of the non-chain shops has their mechanics penned off behind a wall; all the others have an open shop where you can stand and talk to the mechanics as they work.
Bikes are arranged in areas on the floor by type, quite a few shops have a separate room for bike fittings. Accessories are arranged by type, so is clothing.
Old 09-02-09, 09:14 PM
MikeM21

Bikes: '96 C40, '04 C50, '04 Merlin Magia, '97 Stumpjumper, '04 Specilaized Roubaix

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 178 Posts
My wife keeps parking her car in my LBS! Cagers!
Old 09-03-09, 05:24 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you sure you weren't at a co-op?

If not then that bike shop sounds frickin awesome! A treasure trove of used bicycles right at your finger tips! Good thing there isn't one of those shops around me or I would have a whole garage full of bikes, then due to my indecisive nature I would spend an hour each morning debating which bike I was going to ride. Terrible problem to have eh?
Old 09-03-09, 04:16 PM
ECB1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
In our area the aluminum can tabs are donated to the childrens miracle network for children with cancer. They have a pure aluminum value, you save them and turn them in at the hospital. ECB1
Old 09-03-09, 04:33 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
There's a bike shop in Wetaskiwin?
Old 09-03-09, 11:18 PM
nymtber

Bikes: See Signature...

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine is similar, although right now its in the barn while the basement is under a near 12 month renovation project. I still live at home (and pay rent) mom decided out of the blue last oct that we needed a living room area in the basement and a bathroom too. Cluttered mess. I got beers in the fridge, and enough Jack laying around too.

Even for free tuneups I rarely go back to the bike shop I buy bikes at. Its cheaper and faster for me to do it myself. Almost as good, too. I have a truing stand and tension meter, so really...no need to take my bikes in anymore.

My fav LBS though is very clean, well organized and run by very nice, knowledgeable people. They will get you what YOU want, and wont try to sell you a top of the line bike unless you want one. Tell them what kind of riding you want to do and they will give you options. YES, OPTIONS! They get about 60% of my cycling business, the rest is all online and once in a great while another shop. In fact, all the shops here are clean and organized, but this one gets an A+++ for customer service. I feel so lucky to have a shop (actually they have two stores) like this near me. I feel bad for you, come visit my area!
Old 09-04-09, 08:44 AM
zoste
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Call me when you get close. I'm hard to find. Pizza guys always get lost.

Bring an axe or a bass if you can.
I can bring a Les Paul (RIP ) but I prefer my Tele. You got an amp or should I bring a Pignose (anything much larger is kinda hard to manage on the bike)?
Old 09-04-09, 09:15 AM
thompsonpost

Originally Posted by zoste
I can bring a Les Paul (RIP ) but I prefer my Tele. You got an amp or should I bring a Pignose (anything much larger is kinda hard to manage on the bike)?
Bring an amp. Maybe we can run through some of that 'BBA' stuff I sent to you.
Take a look https://www.photo-fix.com/kitsetup

Old 09-04-09, 09:26 AM
zoste
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bring an amp. Maybe we can run through some of that 'BBA' stuff I sent to you.
Take a look https://www.photo-fix.com/kitsetup
Nice kit

BTW - that BBA is GREAT stuff, and it seems to have "aged" better than the Vanilla Fudge album.
Old 09-04-09, 09:43 AM
thompsonpost

After having not heard it for 30 years, it was refreshing to hear some stuff from "Beck-Ola" on there.

Old 09-04-09, 01:39 PM
d4c4c8
Mike the Bike

Bikes: Giant OCR C3/Gary Fisher Tasjahara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing sucks worse than the LBS where the bossman shows you a $6000 wheelset that weighs less than your front wheel alone. I wanted to cry and trade him my car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.