Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living car free, 5 year predictions

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Living car free, 5 year predictions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-17, 08:41 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Is that your 5 year prediction; bicycle friendly drones will eliminate the use of motor vehicles for delivery service by Fed Ex and USPS? Or is that the Xmas-LCF Koolaide talking?
No, as I said above I think it is a reasonable prediction, but not in 5 years. Maybe in 10. And since you ask, no, I think they may supplement or partially replace trucks but not elminate them. They might be used for short haul delivery of small packages or maybe one-off items like fast food orders in the city, or "last mile" delivery for rural trucks.

Last edited by cooker; 12-27-17 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-28-17, 05:10 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cooker
How often is your lane or right of way blocked by a Fedex or USPS truck illegally parked for a delivery? The drones would eliminate that.
Virtually never. A truck or car etc. has to be quite creative to block my bicycle. Even in rush hour gridlock I keep moving 99% of the time on my bike.
Old 12-28-17, 05:12 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tandempower
I think you're just a robot-hater.
I prefer to think of it as peace-and-nature lover rather than a hater.
Old 12-28-17, 10:35 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
I prefer to think of it as peace-and-nature lover rather than a hater.
I just meant that some people are prejudiced against robots from a POV of viewing them as competition against human, i.e. taking jobs away from humans. I'm not defending them because I love or hate them; just pointing out that I sense sometimes that people harbor negativity toward robots because of this feeling of job-encroachment. I don't think many people feel this way toward established technologies like dishwashers, atm's, etc. but with new technologies, they often look at the human work the technology is replacing and then project anti-competition feelings onto the technology. So currently things like self-driving cars and other drones are being subject to hate that has been put onto other job-competitors in the past, such as automated phone systems and self-checkout systems.
Old 12-28-17, 10:47 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
I think you're just a robot-hater. I understand robot-hate in some ways, but I get irritated at what seems to be nothing more than irrational competitive feelings toward machines and technology. It's like the first tailor who built a sewing machine and got his shop burnt down by the other tailors in the village who were afraid of losing business to the machine. Believe me, I have lots of reasons to criticize various machines, but making deliveries isn't one of them - since it will lessen the need for lanes, vehicles, fuel/emissions, etc. and make LCF easier and more affordable. For all I care, the delivery drones can be limited to staying out of the bike lane, but I think being able to use the bike lane provides an incentive to developing smaller drones and implementing them sooner, instead of only driverless cars, which are unnecessarily big and bulky for driverless deliveries.
You might think that, but you would be wrong. I don't have any 'feelings' about robots one way or the other. They are machines, just as are bicycles, cars, aircraft, etc.

Nor am I a Luddite -- far, far, from it.

My opinion in response to the question at hand has nothing to do with such things. It has to do with the fact that I am a dedicated cyclist. Dedicated cycle lanes, and indeed MUPs (a different but somewhat related thing) are a very good thing in my view.

Dedicated cycle lanes are for bicycles, which I define as being human-powered. That excludes, rightly in my opinion, 'powered' machines, such as e-bikes (electric mopeds) and drone things and FedEx delivery trucks etc., along with other nuisances (in cycle lanes) such as pedestrians, dogs on leashes, mopeds, runners, bladers, boarders, etc.

Simple. The existence of dedicated cycle lanes in an urban setting increases my ability, and the ability of other cyclists, to move freely through the cityscape. Clutter, whether human or mechanical, is an impediment to that ability. I, like most cyclists I know, do not wish to share those lanes with non-cyclists or with Robbie Robots.
Old 12-28-17, 11:12 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by badger1
You might think that, but you would be wrong. I don't have any 'feelings' about robots one way or the other. They are machines, just as are bicycles, cars, aircraft, etc.

My opinion in response to the question at hand has nothing to do with such things. It has to do with the fact that I am a dedicated cyclist. Dedicated cycle lanes, and indeed MUPs (a different but somewhat related thing) are a very good thing in my view.

Dedicated cycle lanes are for bicycles, which I define as being human-powered. That excludes, rightly in my opinion, 'powered' machines, such as e-bikes (electric mopeds) and drone things and FedEx delivery trucks etc., along with other nuisances (in cycle lanes) such as pedestrians, dogs on leashes, mopeds, runners, bladers, boarders, etc.
I view MUPs as non-motorized paths that should exclude all but the quietest motors. I feel like we have to respect pedestrians/runners, skating, etc. because those are non-motorized and sidewalks with seams are a cruel sentence for anyone using wheels to roll. So I would agree with you about motorized drones staying off MUPs, except maybe in special cases where a residential area would be built car-free so people could get deliveries at home, i.e. because no other route was available to their house (I know a rare case, if any such homes exist at all yet; but hopefully this will be more of an issue in the future).

Simple. The existence of dedicated cycle lanes in an urban setting increases my ability, and the ability of other cyclists, to move freely through the cityscape. Clutter, whether human or mechanical, is an impediment to that ability. I, like most cyclists I know, do not wish to share those lanes with non-cyclists or with Robbie Robots.
Ok, I understand your issue now; but what if delivery drones were required to use the MV lane and only allowed to move aside to let traffic pass if they were within sufficient clearance of bike lane traffic, e.g. 20 ft., and only if they were first able to sync with the speed of the last cyclist they passed? So, if a drone passes you and you're going, say, 20mph, then the drone has to go at least 20 when it enters the bike lane 20ft in front of you. Then, it should return to the left side of the line as soon as possible.
Old 12-29-17, 09:43 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Virtually never. A truck or car etc. has to be quite creative to block my bicycle. Even in rush hour gridlock I keep moving 99% of the time on my bike.
No, I asked if they block your lane or right of way,
Old 12-30-17, 07:47 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Even in rush hour gridlock I keep moving 99% of the time on my bike.
Isn't "rush hour gridlock" an oxymoron. I'm beginning to hear it being referred to as "the evening crawl".
Old 12-30-17, 09:37 AM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
I know what you mean. I like my bike(s) to be perfect; little noises, clicks, creaks drive me nuts. A psychological defect, I know, but I'm stuck with it.
I don't concur with your diagnosis.
It is perfectly sane to be bugged by inefficiency.
You seem well enough to me.
Take two bike rides and call me in the morning.
Old 12-31-17, 09:08 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
That won't happen in five years, but deliveries by drone will be made within five years.
I don't allow unattended deliveries...not likely.

Besides that, I'm sure there will be other drones to steal your packages.
Old 01-01-18, 12:12 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Rollfast
I don't allow unattended deliveries...not likely.

Besides that, I'm sure there will be other drones to steal your packages.
Once all sales are by Amazon and delivered by drone, all houses will have secure receiving ports that Amazon drones will dock with.
Old 01-01-18, 01:12 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

I'm with you on this one. Delivery drones have no right to be in bike lanes or on MUPs.

I don't think that's the way it will go, however. I think delivery drones will be nearly the size of the panel trucks they will replace, and they will be assigned to the same lanes as other motorized traffic. At least I hope so!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-01-18, 01:13 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Once all sales are by Amazon and delivered by drone, all houses will have secure receiving ports that Amazon drones will dock with.
My house won't!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-01-18, 10:09 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Roody
I'm with you on this one. Delivery drones have no right to be in bike lanes or on MUPs.

I don't think that's the way it will go, however. I think delivery drones will be nearly the size of the panel trucks they will replace, and they will be assigned to the same lanes as other motorized traffic. At least I hope so!
I would also prefer to keep the bike lane clear, but I would like to see more small, relatively slow-moving vehicles because they would be very efficient. Speed requires weight for stability and safety and there's really no need for most local-traffic to have speed capacity over 30mph. So as far as I'm concerned they can split the right wide lane into two or three extra bike-width lanes and only allow drones in the narrow lanes to the left of the bike lane, but I would like to see small, slow drones carrying packages because it would more efficient in several ways and the technology is there to remove the 150lbs of human body weight from the delivery of a 20lb package.

Don't get me wrong, I love humans and support their existence but I don't think you can force human-powered deliveries by restricting drone development. Rather than send delivery agents out on bikes, which would be the healthy way to deliver packages, they will continue to send them in cars and trucks, which wastes everything from fuel to asphalt to land to health to human free time.
Old 01-01-18, 02:54 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,044 Posts
Is that your 5 year, 10 year, or probably never prediction?
Old 01-01-18, 03:36 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Delivery drones have no right to be in bike lanes or on MUPs.
Unfortunately there's some disagreement but I'm 1000% with you on this one!!!
Old 01-01-18, 04:28 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts

Yep.
Old 01-01-18, 05:27 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I predict that in the next 5 years anybody who understands the difference between an imaginary scenario and reality has no need to be concerned about delivery drones (i.e driverless vehicles) occupying MUPs, bike lanes or any traffic lanes for that matter.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 01-01-18 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-01-18, 05:45 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I predict that in the next 5 years anybody who understands the difference between an imaginary scenario and reality has no need to be concerned about delivery drones (i.e driverless vehicles) occupying MUPs, bike lanes or any traffic lanes for that matter.
I actually agree with that...
Old 01-01-18, 06:27 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

My house won't!
Not even if Amazon installs it for you, for free?
Old 01-01-18, 06:30 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Is that your 5 year, 10 year, or probably never prediction?
Did we not already do the lesson on hyperbole? I'm sorry, I should have told you there would be a test.

Last edited by cooker; 01-01-18 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-01-18, 10:03 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Did we not already do the lesson on hyperbole? I'm sorry, I should have told you there would be a test.
Aren't you the fellow who nags/criticizes other posters for not sticking to the OP gameplan of limiting the discussion to 5 year predictions?
Old 01-02-18, 12:40 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Aren't you the fellow who nags/criticizes other posters for not sticking to the OP gameplan of limiting the discussion to 5 year predictions?
Generally, yes, but I'm not rigid about it.

I do, in fact expect either Amazon or various third parties to come up with creative solutions for secure delivery, since, like it or not, online shopping and home delivery is going to continue to grow. Initially perhaps it will be lock boxes or lockable chutes that only the delivery guy will have the code for, and then later (more than five years away) some kind of portal a robot can transfer a package to, although of course Roody can opt out.

Last edited by cooker; 01-02-18 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-02-18, 07:10 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I'd agree with that. There will be driverless vehicles in traffic lanes, but there's no need to be concerned about it.
Old 01-02-18, 07:31 AM
Isolation

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I predict that in 5 years' time, ILTB will be just as negative and dismissive about any efforts to make the world a better place as he is now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.