Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Steel is real and I want it.

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 04-04-19, 12:06 AM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts

I've been on an aluminum Avenvton bike for a few years now. Before that I had an aluminum 6ku. Before I had a steel Raleigh Technium conversion. I wish I could just keep my Cordoba that I have now and build up whole new steel bike but I don't have money like that. I could, however, afford to buy a new steel/chromo frameset. I could get a tribe mess triple triangle frameset for $275. Wabi special for $675. All-city big block for $550. Your thoughts? I use my bike as a daily commuter. I don't own a car and I ride about 9 miles to and from work. Fixed/brakeless 48/15 dropbars.
Old 04-04-19, 06:31 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Big Block gets my vote because I'm about to buy one.
Old 04-04-19, 10:51 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
You could get a semi-custom "Shiftless" from Rodriguez for $995.

They have 20 sizes, not just four or five.

https://www.rodbikes.com/articles/sizes.html

-Tim-
Old 04-04-19, 12:26 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
They've all been around for more than a few years, and have pretty much become the benchmarks for steel tarck frames - and oddly enough, they all got some love here the past few days, and veganbikes should be happy as a pig in ****, what with the Big Block, Rush, and Steamroller all available in various shades and combos of pink and purple this year. I have to admit - I kinda like them too

This year's model 'Roller and Rush framesets are around $500 if you'd like to save a few bucks over the Big Block's $550, but if you search you can prolly find older versions floating around for less.

You mentioned being possibly interested in a lower price point like the Tribe? How about the current Cinelli Gazzetta in a pretty nice blue for about $440? And don't forget there's Soma's budget-friendly, but still well-thought-of, Pake Rum Runner frame only for about $200-250 and you even get to shop for your own fork. Pake's track fork runs around $70-80, or you can look for something else that you'd like better.

Have fun and good luck...
Old 04-04-19, 04:05 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
Cinelli Vigorelli steel frameset or GTFO.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 04-04-19, 04:19 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by TimothyH
You could get a semi-custom "Shiftless" from Rodriguez for $995.

They have 20 sizes, not just four or five.

https://www.rodbikes.com/articles/sizes.html

-Tim-
That would probably be pretty nice to have... If I had $1,000 to spend. I'd probably invest it on an Affinity.
Old 04-04-19, 08:35 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Loves me Big Block.

Old 04-05-19, 01:38 AM
PeopleAreIdiots

Bikes: Disc Brake Wabi Special, GT Pulse, Fuji Track Beater

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
If youre looking to spend like $700 max (I assume that's around your budget since you mentioned the wabi special), I would be more inclined to get a ~$450-500 frameset and spend the rest upgrading parts. Like, get a nice saddle for instance. Saddles arguably impact ride comfort more than your frame material anyway. But thats just my two cents. You could always splurge on a more expensive frame that you like better and then upgrade other stuff later.
Old 04-05-19, 05:19 AM
Bigpond

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Cinelli Vigorelli steel frameset or GTFO.
Holy crap! I didn’t not see that coming, especially for TT.

Glad to see you posting TT. I hadn’t seen you around in a bit.

On topic, there have been some crazy deals on all the vigo’s on eBay recently.
Old 04-05-19, 04:13 PM
ryan_rides

Just realized that the Affinity lo-pro is the same price as the all-city big block. This is why N+1 rule exists. If only I had all the monie$$$.
Old 04-05-19, 04:24 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by seau grateau
Big Block gets my vote because I'm about to buy one.
It's hard for me to not lean towards the big block. I've wanted one for years now.
Old 04-05-19, 04:28 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by IAmSam
They've all been around for more than a few years, and have pretty much become the benchmarks for steel tarck frames - and oddly enough, they all got some love here the past few days, and veganbikes should be happy as a pig in ****, what with the Big Block, Rush, and Steamroller all available in various shades and combos of pink and purple this year. I have to admit - I kinda like them too

This year's model 'Roller and Rush framesets are around $500 if you'd like to save a few bucks over the Big Block's $550, but if you search you can prolly find older versions floating around for less.

You mentioned being possibly interested in a lower price point like the Tribe? How about the current Cinelli Gazzetta in a pretty nice blue for about $440? And don't forget there's Soma's budget-friendly, but still well-thought-of, Pake Rum Runner frame only for about $200-250 and you even get to shop for your own fork. Pake's track fork runs around $70-80, or you can look for something else that you'd like better.

Have fun and good luck...
I don't like the Soma's. They don't float my boat. I've also looked at Surly Steamroller but they don't come in a 55cm or 54cm. The Cinelli Gazzetta looks good but honestly I'd take the Big Block over that. Pake seems cheap to me.
Old 04-05-19, 05:09 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_rides
It's hard for me to not lean towards the big block. I've wanted one for years now.
I never looked at them much before, but it's pretty much exactly what I want in a FG frame right now. And the new paint job is sick.
Old 04-06-19, 07:09 AM
Bigpond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have been going through a similar decision.

Aside from steel tubes, is there anything else that you’d like to get out of a new frame? Want to mix up your fit and try something different? Big mchuge tires? Rack mounts? Anything?

The Córdoba is a pretty interesting frame. I guess I just assumed it was super aggressive and never really looked in to the geo. Sort of tracky but with longer chainstsys and wheelbase. Gonna be hard to find a frame that rides just the same.

From the armchair perspective-

rush if you want big clearance and a more aggressive, responsive and lighter weight (vs other steel options) and you’re feeling purple satin (pretty effin hawt)

big block for clearance and more responsive ride, nice details and a taller, perhaps slightly more flexible frame than the rush. Pink is win

steamroller if you think 32’s are for wimps, have aspirations of going off-road in comfort, want to be a bit more heads-up in traffic and are ok with a slightly heavier frame (0.5 lbs> BB).

wabi if you think you might want to tackle a fixed century, or think you’d like to try a new style frame that is comfortable and has a proper high bb.

mash work variants if you want steam roller tires, in a slightly more aggressive frame and you think rack mounts might be cool (they are cool).

And TT was right, steel vigo is pretty nice at the price you can now find them on eBay. Same clearances as the aventon, similar carbon fork, less agreasiness angles but short chainstays and wheelbase.
Old 04-06-19, 07:09 AM
Bigpond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have been going through a similar decision.

Aside from steel tubes, is there anything else that you’d like to get out of a new frame? Want to mix up your fit and try something different? Big mchuge tires? Rack mounts? Anything?

The Córdoba is a pretty interesting frame. I guess I just assumed it was super aggressive and never really looked in to the geo. Sort of tracky but with longer chainstsys and wheelbase. Gonna be hard to find a frame that rides just the same.

From the armchair perspective-

rush if you want big clearance and a more aggressive, responsive and lighter weight (vs other steel options) and you’re feeling purple satin (pretty effin hawt)

big block for clearance and more responsive ride, nice details and a taller, perhaps slightly more flexible frame than the rush. Pink is win

steamroller if you think 32’s are for wimps, have aspirations of going off-road in comfort, want to be a bit more heads-up in traffic and are ok with a slightly heavier frame (0.5 lbs> BB).

wabi if you think you might want to tackle a fixed century, or think you’d like to try a new style frame that is comfortable and has a proper high bb.

mash work variants if you want steam roller tires, in a slightly more aggressive frame and you think rack mounts might be cool (they are cool).

And TT was right, steel vigo is pretty nice at the price you can now find them on eBay. Same clearances as the aventon, similar carbon fork, less aggressive angles but short chainstays and wheelbase.

Old 04-06-19, 11:09 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
I don't like the Soma's. They don't float my boat. I've also looked at Surly Steamroller but they don't come in a 55cm or 54cm. The Cinelli Gazzetta looks good but honestly I'd take the Big Block over that. Pake seems cheap to me.
i'd say a big block 55 fits every bit as big as the roller 56. long top tubes and measure seat tube c-c so don't let if fool you. sweet frame though, would be my choice if you want extra tire clearance.
Old 04-06-19, 11:32 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I have a Wabi Special and a Classic. I think you get a whole lot of bike for the money with Wabi. The quality is top-notch. Reynolds double-butted throughout. I ride 30 mil tires on the Special and 27 mils on the Classic. Both sizes fit through the frame and forks with no problem.

Comes with a decent component group built-out and when they wear out it is definitely a good enough bike to upgrade to top-end components. Yeah yeah I ride mine with brakes but they have Dura Ace brakes on both of them.....Brooks leather handlebar tape and Brooks Pro saddles. Both are eye-turners.
Old 04-08-19, 08:34 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 3,082 Times in 1,632 Posts
nice bikes. Let's see some pics!
Old 04-08-19, 09:49 PM
Dougbloch 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I say Wabi, too. All the lightness and stiffness of a quality steel track bike but with the comfort of a vintage steel road bike. If you don’t want lugs, save your money and get a Classic frame.

I agree that the standard components are quality. The only things I didn’t replace on mine is the headset and the cranks (although I did pop a 45t Campagnolo chainring on it).

Old 04-08-19, 10:42 PM
PeopleAreIdiots

To continue this little wabi loving trend we got goin here, I too am absolutely in love with my wabi special.

I bought mine as just a frame (just frame no fork) so I can't speak to the stock build but the frame itself is night and day compared to my old steel frame.
Old 04-09-19, 05:18 AM
Bigpond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That midnight blue is totally growing on me. The new colorways on this years special are really appealing to.
Old 04-09-19, 02:41 PM
PeopleAreIdiots

The moss green special is a bit darker in person. I think it looks twice as cool as wabi's pictures.
Old 04-09-19, 11:25 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by PeopleAreIdiots

The moss green special is a bit darker in person. I think it looks twice as cool as wabi's pictures.
That's a really nice bike. I'm definitely leaning toward the Wabi special. What's the difference in the Wabi Special and the Classic? I guess it's worth saving for the All-city Big block or the Wabi. I need to save money. I hope I get full-time hours at work. (I work at Publix and average 30ish hours a week) Full-time guarantees me 40 hours a week every week. I still need new cranks and I've been wanting to buy a few more locks since I'm investing in better parts.
Old 04-09-19, 11:26 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by Dougbloch
I say Wabi, too. All the lightness and stiffness of a quality steel track bike but with the comfort of a vintage steel road bike. If you don’t want lugs, save your money and get a Classic frame.

I agree that the standard components are quality. The only things I didn’t replace on mine is the headset and the cranks (although I did pop a 45t Campagnolo chainring on it).

Really nice. Is that a Fabric saddle?
Old 04-09-19, 11:42 PM
PeopleAreIdiots

That's a really nice bike. I'm definitely leaning toward the Wabi special. What's the difference in the Wabi Special and the Classic? I guess it's worth saving for the All-city Big block or the Wabi. I need to save money. I hope I get full-time hours at work. (I work at Publix and average 30ish hours a week) Full-time guarantees me 40 hours a week every week. I still need new cranks and I've been wanting to buy a few more locks since I'm investing in better parts.
Thanks!
I cant reccomend the wabi enough. I'm off work tomorrow and its supposed to be pouring rain and high of 39 but I'm still gonna go out and ride. I just can't get enough of that bike. Springy, lively, responsive, comfortable, and looks awesome.
Now one thing to consider since you mentioned new locks is where and how often you're gonna have this locked up. Id definitely add that to the equation as you spend money on parts. I kinda went all out with my build because my workplace lets me store the bike locked indoors. There's no way I would lock it outside for a whole work day, quick errands and familiar places only. In your case, I'd worry that a bike with a flashy paint job like the big block might not be the best to leave locked up all the time unless you have a really good lockup spot. Just something to consider.

Edit: Oh and to answer your other question, I've heard of some crank clearance issues with the wabi classic (there was a thread about it here recently too) but nothing of the sort for the special. That said though, from my knowledge theyre supposed to be the same geometry-wise. The special is just more expensive because of the pretty lugs. Also the special is a tiny bit heavier, probably because of the lugs. Pretty negligable though.

Last edited by PeopleAreIdiots; 04-09-19 at 11:48 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.