Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Clearing out old bike stuff

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Clearing out old bike stuff

Old 09-05-19, 09:14 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I donated a lot of my early to mid seventies Japanese handle bars , stem , seat posts and other items to my local bike co op and they were thrilled to get them. They build up vintage road bikes for the hipsters and people that like the vintage stuff. I hold on to anything I can use on my racing bikes like Campy or Cinelli etc. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 09-13-19, 07:45 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I’m turning 62 next month and keeping things in perspective. I have 5 roadbikes and 3 MTB’s, all are my vintage beauties. My wife and son know their values in the event of my demise. In my vintage shop (circa 1938) are probably 6 boxes of parts and tools. I wont let any of it go, they are my investments and enjoyment for my riding son and grandson.
Old 09-13-19, 01:01 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Updating this thread.

Feels really good to be rid of almost all of the catalogs. A local guy got wind of what I was doing and collected up a whole bunch of stuff. A few years back I had given him a bike made by Lyon, and forgot about him. Good to see the stuff go to his home. My guess is he will sort through it and determine what has value as a historical document, and what does not.

Freed up 3 drawers in the filing cabinet! Yea!
Old 09-15-19, 04:54 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Will hit 60 this fall and have been thinking a lot about the future and who will clean up after I am gone. Have loads of bike stuff, and started clearing out the old vendor catalogs like QBP and VAR, and tech catalogs from Campy. Feels really good to simply toss it. Sure the Campy stuff is beautifully done, likely the nicest I have seen in the bike biz, but it can all be had online now at the touch of a button, which is what the youth is gravitating towards. The old ways are no more.

Out with the old and in with the new. Eventually all the vintage bikes will be headed for higher ground as well, and the stash of parts, too. Only keeping 3 of the vintage bikes, maybe only 2. Replacing them with my own frames and components mixed the way I like. Just feel that 60 is a big change year. Out with the old and in with the new.
I'm somewhat of a bike Hoarder myself. Anything you want to get rid of, feel free to put it in a Box and send it to me, I'LL PAY FOR THE SHIPPING.

I foolishly gave away all my old Bicycle Racing stuff when I went off to Boot Camp in 1984 as I had nowhere to store any of it. I had some good Italian racing Magazines and some Fench Posters of all my favorite riders. Now, Im trying to acquire some of that back. Great Memories !
Old 09-15-19, 08:48 PM
rojrdojr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Updating this thread.

Feels really good to be rid of almost all of the catalogs.

Well played. I have no idea how folks ever got along without all the new advancements we have today. Don't get me wrong, I like index shifting and the idea of bone-cushioning carbon someday but, sometimes I wonder how I got so far on that old Stella not to mention my Jr. High commuter huffy. I remember almost wanting to upgrade when v-brakes were the new thing; even when at 240lbs, carving ski runs, I never once needed more brake.

Always feels good to move forward in life.
Old 09-15-19, 10:15 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Also thinking every day about retirement. I have worked 6 to 7 days a week all my life. Only taken 3 vacations in the past 40 years.

Why?

Why would someone do that?

I take ALL my vacation days, stat holidays and everything. Plus I've signed up for a program called "purchased leave" where I get a little bit less pay but an extra 10 days leave each year.

"Just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it." ... yes ... for at least 6-8 weeks out of every year!

I like my job and all, but not that much.

Oh, and it can be good to do a purge now and then. I've done 2 big ones in the last 15 years.
Old 09-15-19, 10:32 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,490 Times in 1,190 Posts
Because everyone does what they feel they need to do. A few years back I had to purge my parents items, but I learned a whole lot more about them. I thought it was cool, but my sister went home and started emptying the storage. I guess those old memories scared her, lol. No skeletons in her closet...
Old 09-19-19, 06:41 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
"Why would someone do that?"

Simply because the jobs I have had never had vacation days, sick days or any other kind of paid day off other than weekends. Even on the weekends I work mainly because I get bored doing house chores and fixing stuff I don't care about. I like bikes so I spend Saturdays fixing them at the LBS. Before that I ran a side biz promoting sales events, and before that the side biz was contracted to Walmart's Sam's Club. Time is coming when I can't do all these things, and will wish I could.

Wish I had a job that paid me to do nothing, but I don't. Such is life. Any time off is money out of my pocket.
Old 09-19-19, 07:11 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
"Why would someone do that?"

Simply because the jobs I have had never had vacation days, sick days or any other kind of paid day off other than weekends. Even on the weekends I work mainly because I get bored doing house chores and fixing stuff I don't care about. I like bikes so I spend Saturdays fixing them at the LBS. Before that I ran a side biz promoting sales events, and before that the side biz was contracted to Walmart's Sam's Club. Time is coming when I can't do all these things, and will wish I could.

Wish I had a job that paid me to do nothing, but I don't. Such is life. Any time off is money out of my pocket.
Don't you like to do day-long bike rides? Bike vacations? I worked as a mechanic and we didn't have much paid time off but that free time was precious. I couldn't wait to get out of there and retired as soon as I hit 65 even though I can't really afford it.

Last edited by big john; 09-19-19 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-20-19, 12:05 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
I'm just about finished with a multi-year remodel of my house, and over those years I purged a lot of stuff that included bicycle related things. I had to occasionally move stuff around to a different room/garage, and it just got to be a PITA. Lots of old parts (lo-end stuff, saved 'just-in-case'), old tires (I don't MTB so no use for stuff like knobbies and old suspension forks that need rebuilding), oddball stuff I got at events, plus old climbing gear and records (school, taxes, etc). It's amazing how much crap we accumulate over the years.