Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Centurion Elite RS

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Centurion Elite RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 05:43 PM
fadetoblack6902

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Centurion Elite RS

Hi, can anyone tell me anything about this bike? original price, current value, year possibly, ect. Is $250 a fair price for it? I just bought this bike, tuned it up and am trying to sell it. Some local message boards are saying it is worth maybe $50, but I sell cheap everyday 10 speeds for that easily.
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/156615792.html
thanks in advance
Old 05-03-06, 06:34 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
It's mid 1980s. Post the serial number and I'll tell you the exact year. The 1984 Elite RS sold for $365 US, so yes, the asking price is high. There were at least four models above it.
Old 05-03-06, 07:25 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
IMHO not worth $250. I would say $100 tops, but then if you find the right buyer it might sell for a good bit more. You can get more $$$ in larger urban areas where demand is better.

I've got an '84 Centurion in good shape that has been updated with inline brakes, new handlebars, brake levers & pads and cables - probably would be lucky to get $150, if it were for sale.
Old 05-03-06, 07:48 PM
fadetoblack6902

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the best I can read it, the serial number is kf510350
Old 05-03-06, 09:14 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I would say it is definitely worth more than $50, but not $250... The $175 would be a little rich for my blood...

I just bought a 1988 Centurion Master Ironman Dave Scott for $112.50 and that is just under my maximum bid on eBay, and I always bid the most I would pay. It has full Shimano 600 and 14 speed wth a Tange 1 frame. The market is good for selling this time of year, but I would be surprised to have anyone showing interest at over $100 in my area, but yours may be different.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-04-06, 12:00 AM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought mine for $40.

I'm currently selling a Look KG 76 Carbon Fiber with some Campy parts. I only say this to let you know that $250 for that Centurion is just plain too high.

Sell it for $75 if it is in good condition. Sell if for $50 if it needs work. If it is really bad, sell it for $40
Old 05-04-06, 12:04 AM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a nice riding frame. Excellent singlespeed candidate. I love it. And it's strong and made in Japan.

I spoil it at time. Wheels, brakes, etc.

I was in an accident on the bike and I still ride around on it. I bet it just needs a realignment from an experience mechanic and it'll be good as new.
Old 10-23-07, 10:18 PM
mrbrklyn

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
It's mid 1980s. Post the serial number and I'll tell you the exact year. The 1984 Elite RS sold for $365 US, so yes, the asking price is high. There were at least four models above it.

This model Bike was my Messanger Bike in New York City in the 1980's. It plowed through every imanginable weather and cycling condition for nearly 8 years of heavey heavey heavey use. I'm talking about riding on that bike for 14 hours a day for years. I lived on that bike to the point that it became an extension of my body. It was simply the meanest machine on the streets of NY. I replaced over time nearly every part, and replaced it things with top notch Campy stuff because, damn if I didn't break everything on the thing over time. I cracked the rear derailer in half in the Colorado Rockies, and I snapped the pedal off the crank, causing me to replace the entire bottom bracket with Campy Super Record. The frame itself took on a front end hit with a cab bumper and the top tube has a raised bump. that was over 15 years ago and the bike continued in professional service for another 4 years afterwards. I broke ribs, wrists, and more on the bike, being hit multiple times (always by careless drivers off of work in the suburbs and Brooklyn.) Aside from that, I've gone through a coupleof dozen rims and more.

It still rides like a bat out of hell, for whatever it is worth.....
Old 10-23-07, 10:18 PM
mrbrklyn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar

This model Bike was my Messanger Bike in New York City in the 1980's. It plowed through every imanginable weather and cycling condition for nearly 8 years of heavey heavey heavey use. I'm talking about riding on that bike for 14 hours a day for years. I lived on that bike to the point that it became an extension of my body. It was simply the meanest machine on the streets of NY. I replaced over time nearly every part, and replaced it things with top notch Campy stuff because, damn if I didn't break everything on the thing over time. I cracked the rear derailer in half in the Colorado Rockies, and I snapped the pedal off the crank, causing me to replace the entire bottom bracket with Campy Super Record. The frame itself took on a front end hit with a cab bumper and the top tube has a raised bump. that was over 15 years ago and the bike continued in professional service for another 4 years afterwards. I broke ribs, wrists, and more on the bike, being hit multiple times (always by careless drivers off of work in the suburbs and Brooklyn.) Aside from that, I've gone through a coupleof dozen rims and more.

It still rides like a bat out of hell, for whatever it is worth.....man I got my money's worth from that bike.

Ruben
Old 10-24-07, 01:18 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old thread, huh? LOL...

I'm riding the heck out of my Elite RS, too. I was lucky to find one that must have been sleeping in a garage for 20 years. Great riding bike!
Old 10-25-07, 05:20 PM
mrbrklyn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alicestrong
Old thread, huh? LOL...

I'm riding the heck out of my Elite RS, too. I was lucky to find one that must have been sleeping in a garage for 20 years. Great riding bike!
It rides a little stiff, but I for my purposes that was good. I believe the bike has a high tensile rear triagnle, but it is steady as a rock on the road and the rear wheel never slips despite my putting BMX worthy moves on it avoiding traffic.

On the straight and flats it rides like its on a rail and you can almost sleep on it, and yet responds perfectly rigorous sloams and sharp direction changes. The bike just functions.

Ruben
Old 10-25-07, 11:24 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
I haven't put a lot of miles on it, but the Elite RS I picked up last fall rides well; not squirmy or sluggish.
I paid $140 for it in minty condition with an extra rear wheel, Suntour Sprint hubs, Dura Ace stem, Royal Compe brakes.
Old 10-29-07, 09:46 AM
mrbrklyn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't remember any Dura-Ace original components on it.
Old 11-26-07, 08:53 PM
mrbrklyn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my 1984 Elite RS, Champion 2 Tubing

It was my Messenger Bike

Old 11-27-07, 03:41 PM
SteakKnifeSally

Bikes: 200x Coppi w DuraAce 9, 82 Schwinn Voyager 11.2, 2004 DeBernardi Track, 83 Centurion Elite RS, and some others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an elite rs. Bought the whole thing minus wheels for $50 about 3 years ago. Spent about $100 on the 8 speed wheels. Had to replace the rear derailleur from the spares box. Loved riding the thing. Geometry is about perfect for me, less twitchy than my Coppi or my DeBernardi fix, twitchier than the 70's super sport, longer top tube than the 82 Voyager.

Loved it so much that I have it torn down in the basement to rebuild with "modern" components: veloce 9 shifters on an ultegra derailleur through a Jtek adapter. Old 8 speed dura ace hubs with campy tubular rims, and a Sugino 9sp crankset. Recently returned from the powdercoater, I'll post pictures when the build is finished. Damn Shimano 500 downtube brazeons are a PITA to adapt.

It's a great bike, but was available for a lot less than $250 not long ago. Vintage bikes have gotten trendy and spendy.

Tubing is tange 2, slightly thicker and probably better for my 190 lbs on a size 61 frame. Hoping it lasts as long as mrbrklns

Last edited by SteakKnifeSally; 11-27-07 at 03:43 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-27-07, 03:54 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes..pictures. Here's mine before I added a Brooks Pro saddle.

Last edited by alicestrong; 11-27-07 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 04:02 PM
tolfan
Novist senior member

Bikes: have about 30 bikes right now

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you buy that bike in Lancaster Pa. ?
Old 11-27-07, 04:16 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No...in a Thrift Store in Los Angeles. I replaced the upright bars that someone had installed with the original drops from eBay, and found the original brake levers, too.
Old 11-27-07, 04:21 PM
SteakKnifeSally

Bikes: 200x Coppi w DuraAce 9, 82 Schwinn Voyager 11.2, 2004 DeBernardi Track, 83 Centurion Elite RS, and some others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To combine the modern components on old frames thread with this one, take a look at this 650b commuter based on an elite rs
Old 11-27-07, 04:35 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love to hear how it rides after the build.
Old 11-27-07, 05:29 PM
tolfan
Novist senior member

Bikes: have about 30 bikes right now

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My local bike shop just sold one for $250. Had a little damage to the top tube. I paid $15 for it and couldent get anyone interested in it so I sold it to the shop for $80. So there is a least 1 other person that thinks $250 is a fair price.
Old 11-28-07, 10:45 PM
mrbrklyn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alicestrong
I'd love to hear how it rides after the build.
I've been riding this bike for the last few days and its like an old friend. this bike has a magic geometry and the designer was brillent. I rode this bike for nearly a decade, 14 hours a day. When I ride this bike I can can almost fall asleep on it. That's how steady the ride is. And with my replacement Camp hubs, it just spins.

And yet it responds to turns and responds to body movement without being anything as twitchy as my pure racing rode bikes. If you have to spend 14 hours on a bike, this bike is one of the great choices.

Ruben
Old 11-28-07, 10:59 PM
mrbrklyn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 11-18-13, 01:00 PM
mrbrklyn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wish I could find a new 1984 frame.
Old 08-18-19, 12:31 PM
bsurkan

Bikes: '19 Fuji Touring | '09 Trek Belleville | '85 Raleigh Kodiak

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is this a reasonable price for the quality?
boston.craigslist.org/nos/bik/d/stoneham-centurion-elite-rs-shimano-600/6958464666.html

I'm trying to decide between the Centurion Elite above and these two:
  • Lotus - boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/d/cambridge-lotus-10-speed-road-bike/6958486822.html
  • Bridgestone - boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/d/cambridge-road-bike-12-speed/6958198099.html
Any advice?

Last edited by bsurkan; 08-18-19 at 12:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.