Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Another "Birthday Century"

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-13, 10:57 AM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yesterday dawned bright and dry as I rolled my trusty Tour Easy out from its sanctuary A.K.A. my garage. I considered the fact that it wasn't raining to be a good omen as we have only had four days so far this month that have been free of rain.

I pedaled west with the new day dawning over my right shoulder and rode a very peacefull 25 miles into a NW breeze to Hamlin Beach State Park, the start point of an annual Recumbent Rally that I very much enjoy participating in. After exchanging several greetings with out of town acquaintances from previous rallies the "Long Loop" group lined up for the traditional pre-ride photo-op.

Did I mention that the weather was great? Wall to wall sunshine and quiet country roads. Who could ask for more?

It was a smaller group than some previous years had seen, but a close knit collection of cyclists with compararble fitness levels making for a very enjoyable 25 mile group ride to Charlotte Beach Park where we met with the "Short Loop" riders. While at the beach, being 50+ miles into my day already I gobbled down a couple of Peanut butter and Jelly sandwhiches before embarking on the optional 12 mile Irondequoit loop.

After the completion of the Irondequoit Loop and at a little over 63 miles into my day we commenced riding up the Genesee River Trail towards our lunch destination, a mere 9.5 miles upstream. Not counting an unplanned stop for a nasty calf cramp and some hills that slowed me considerably, it was an unevetful and pleasant ride through the city.

It's amazing how refreshing a couple of beers and a light lunch at the Dinosaur BBQ can be at 70+ miles into the day! The Dinosaur is in a repurposed Lehigh Valley Rail station.

While at lunch I was able to note an advantage to bicycles over motorcycles....parking!!

With satisfied tummies and rested bodies we embarked on the next leg of the Rally, the 20 mile ride out to the Erie Canal and around through the Town of Greece and back to Charlotte Beach Park...the start/finish point of the "Short Loop". Being mostly downhill and on MUP's it was a very pleasant trip back down to the beach.

Upon reaching the beach I departed the group and rode the few short miles back to my house completing my annual "Birthday Century" at a bit over 100 miles (100.39 to be exact).

I have to admit that this ride knocked the tar out of me! The hills in Irondequoit and the ride up-river was pretty tough on my out of condition legs. The guys I was riding with were patient with my slowing the group's pace during the up-river leg of the ride and we all stayed together. A better bunch of ride companions simply can not be found! Their patience and considerate attitudes were a major conribution towards a fantastic day!!

So another "Birthday Ride" is complete.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 06-16-13 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-16-13, 11:25 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lenny,
Your looking mighty good for 100.

I liked the mix of ages in that group, young to not so young.
It was a pretty day here as well, I took a nice spin in the Southern Adirondacks, the smell of fresh Balsam in the air...
Old 06-16-13, 11:35 AM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Lenny,
Your looking mighty good for 100.
Thank you, Sonny!!

I owe it all to Bicycling!!!
Old 06-16-13, 07:26 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Great report and pictures Lenny, that was some Birthday Ride you had. Beautiful architecture for the train station.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-17-13, 06:58 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sweet!

Now where's the Pie!?!
Old 06-17-13, 07:14 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 505 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of fun was had by all. Bike-food and beer-bike, doesn't get much better than that.

Congrats and keep those legs in good shape for next year.