Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 1000 -v- Magellan Cyclo 505

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin Edge 1000 -v- Magellan Cyclo 505

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14, 09:02 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by egranlund
Can you try a GPX route that has a little detour through a bike path?

That seems to be the main navigational issue with me and my Garmin 810. If the Garmin doesn't have the bike path on it's map, it starts giving me a bunch of U-turn directions. It would be nice to see how the Cyclo handles this.
In my experience with the Cyclo, the OSM maps will show all the bike paths in my area and even shows small dirt roads that spur off from the bike path.. The TeleAtlas maps do not show any bike paths..

My conclusion is that OSM maps are best for Cycling and the TeleAtlas maps are best for car/vehicle use..

As far as the Cyclo mac address, I don't see it anywhere.. Can you connect via open wifi and get the mac address from your router once it's connected that way then add it to the closed network??
Old 08-05-14, 10:39 AM
Snapperhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
As far as the Cyclo mac address, I don't see it anywhere.. Can you connect via open wifi and get the mac address from your router once it's connected that way then add it to the closed network??
I thought about that this morning as well. I'll try that tonight and let you know. I contacted support and they pointed out that the manual clearly states:

Note: At this time, CYCLO can’t connect to wireless networks that use MAC filtering.
Old 08-05-14, 01:54 PM
Snapperhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It worked! I was able to find the mac address via my router setup. I plugged the mac address into the filter list and was able to sync.
Old 08-05-14, 07:04 PM
egranlund

Bikes: 2013 Trek 1.5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My conclusion is that OSM maps are best for Cycling and the TeleAtlas maps are best for car/vehicle use..

I've discovered this with the CityNavigator vs OSM maps as well and just ended up switching to the OSM ones on my Garmin.

The part that I'm curious about is how the Cyclo handles the route going to a bike lane that doesn't exist in it's map database. The Garmins tend to start throwing in a bunch of U-turns when it can't figure out where the road is which can get very confusing.
Old 08-05-14, 07:28 PM
raqball

I would test this out on mine with the TeleAtlas maps since they don't show my bike paths but I dropped and broke my Cyclo a few days ago.. It was my fault but I am waiting to see if I can send it back to Magellan and pay for the repairs.. Screen cracked, dent in housing and a crack in the housing..
Old 08-06-14, 11:17 AM
Snapperhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After my ride yesterday I noticed that my overall average speed on the Magellan site and Strava were different?
Old 08-06-14, 11:38 AM
raqball

Originally Posted by Snapperhead
After my ride yesterday I noticed that my overall average speed on the Magellan site and Strava were different?
When rides are auto synced to Strava (from the Cyclo, Edge ect.) Strava uses GPS to display the ride info. It's also coverts some things like elevation to match their settings / algorithms..

I've never seen Strava and the Cyclo match up exactly and I never seen Strava and the Edge match up exactly either.

If you want an exact match then manually upload the .fit file to Strava..

Last edited by raqball; 08-06-14 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-06-14, 12:23 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I'm guessing that the Garmin 500 and above series instruments measure elevation with a barometric altimeter. Do the Cyclo units, 315 or 505, have a barometric altimeter or do they use the information from the maps or GPS to determine elevation?
Old 08-06-14, 05:21 PM
raqball

The Cyclo 315 and 505 uses an barometric altimeter..
Old 08-06-14, 06:15 PM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I am in the process of having a custom sport touring frame built up, and am considering the Garmin Edge 1000. I want to get this thing, but after reading the atrocious reviews it gets, I am having a hard time justifying it. On my road and mountain bike, I have/had the old fashioned cat-eye, etc, computers. I will be doing mostly local rides at first, but want to get into Randonneuring, and some light touring.

Is there anybody, anywhere out there, that has anything good to say about this thing. Thank you.
Old 08-06-14, 06:24 PM
raqball

I don't think anyone who has had one will have a whole lot of positive things to say about the Edge 1000..

DCR is the authority on these things and he said it should have never been released in that state it's in..

BT drops are less, from what I can tell at least, if you have an Android phone but Android does not get phone and text notifications..

The good thing about buying from Clever Training is that they have a 60-day return period.. I suppose you can try the Edge 1000 and as long as you don't end up throwing it up against a wall in frustration, you can easily return it for a full, no questions asked refund..
Old 08-06-14, 06:27 PM
Anthony.L
New to Cycling

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Comp Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Magellan says that will be fixed when v4.1 is released..
So where is that update...didn't they say 2 weeks....more than 2 weeks ago...
Old 08-06-14, 06:31 PM
raqball

Originally Posted by Anthony.L
So where is that update...didn't they say 2 weeks....more than 2 weeks ago...
Yup... No v4.1 yet.. As a matter of fact they said 2 weeks ago over a month ago..
Old 08-06-14, 06:35 PM
Anthony.L
New to Cycling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just ribbing you a little bit. Kudos to Magellan for jumping on the issue, but they probably should not have committed to a time frame for the fix. Always back fires.
Old 08-06-14, 06:37 PM
Anthony.L
New to Cycling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
raqball, do you know if the 505 has a wireless mac address anywhere? I have my wireless network locked down and need to permit specific addresses thru my wireless router.
If a device connects to 802.11 wireless, then yes it must have a MAC address to be able to use that connection. Typically manufactures list the MAC address on a sticker located on the device or packaging. Alternatively you could open your wifi as you did, and then look at your router for the device association and it will list the device MAC there. Most SOHO wireless routers have a screen that shows all MACs and then allows you to add them to the wireless whitelist to lock it down.
Old 08-06-14, 06:38 PM
raqball

I'm just ribbing you a little bit. Kudos to Magellan for jumping on the issue, but they probably should not have committed to a time frame for the fix. Always back fires.
No worries man.. I am pretty open about the issues on the Cyclo..

The major bug that they need to fix NOW is the speed and distance doubling with you stop at a red light or for a break.. Not all units have this bug but for the people who have it, it's a MAJOR issue for sure..

That is suppose to be fixed in v4.1.. Which is no comfort to the people who have the bug..

I've been telling people with the bug to demand a replacement and not wait on v4.1.
Old 08-06-14, 06:39 PM
Anthony.L
New to Cycling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah if I had that bug it would be going right back where I bought it! Pretty much useless.

At the moment I'm perfectly content with the Edge 510. I was almost ready to jump ship just for the auto sync to Strava feature on the Cyclo. However 3 days ago Strava announced sync with Garmin Connect. It works, albeit it currently takes anywhere from 6-12 hours of the sync to happen...hopefully they work out those bugs!
Old 08-06-14, 06:45 PM
raqball

Yeah if I had that bug it would be going right back where I bought it! Pretty much useless.

At the moment I'm perfectly content with the Edge 510. I was almost ready to jump ship just for the auto sync to Strava feature on the Cyclo. However 3 days ago Strava announced sync with Garmin Connect. It works, albeit it currently takes anywhere from 6-12 hours of the sync to happen...hopefully they work out those bugs!
Strava sync is nice especially since the Magellan Portal is not supported at the moment by Tapiriik.. For the Edge, just use it as it's probably 100 times better than anything Garmin can do...
Old 08-07-14, 10:28 AM
Snapperhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No worries man.. I am pretty open about the issues on the Cyclo..

The major bug that they need to fix NOW is the speed and distance doubling with you stop at a red light or for a break.. Not all units have this bug but for the people who have it, it's a MAJOR issue for sure..

That is suppose to be fixed in v4.1.. Which is no comfort to the people who have the bug..

I've been telling people with the bug to demand a replacement and not wait on v4.1.
I can assure you, if I had that bug, I'd be demanding a replacement. But I have the 505HC and I'm using the Magellan sensors and I think you said that it's happening with folks that are using non Magellan sensors?
Old 08-07-14, 10:30 AM
Snapperhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If a device connects to 802.11 wireless, then yes it must have a MAC address to be able to use that connection. Typically manufactures list the MAC address on a sticker located on the device or packaging. Alternatively you could open your wifi as you did, and then look at your router for the device association and it will list the device MAC there. Most SOHO wireless routers have a screen that shows all MACs and then allows you to add them to the wireless whitelist to lock it down.
Yes, I posted later that I figured it out by doing exactly what you described.

Funny thing is, I have 25+ years in IT and it didn't hit me until the next day that I could do this. DOH!!!
Old 08-07-14, 10:51 AM
raqball

I can assure you, if I had that bug, I'd be demanding a replacement. But I have the 505HC and I'm using the Magellan sensors and I think you said that it's happening with folks that are using non Magellan sensors?
I think the majority of the issues are with non Magellan sensors but I know of one person with Magellan sensors that has the bug..
Old 08-09-14, 08:58 AM
Snapperhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The major bug that they need to fix NOW is the speed and distance doubling with you stop at a red light or for a break.. Not all units have this bug but for the people who have it, it's a MAJOR issue for sure.
Well, third ride, and it happened. Didn't happen on my first two rides. Only difference is that we took a big rest at one point and I didn't manually pause the device and it beeped at me. Tomorrow I'm doing a longer ride and I know we'll take a long rest at one point, so I'll be sure and pause the device manually and see what happens.

Some good news is that when I uploaded to Strava it fixed it. I have reported the issue to technical support.
Old 08-09-14, 09:32 AM
raqball

Well, third ride, and it happened. Didn't happen on my first two rides. Only difference is that we took a big rest at one point and I didn't manually pause the device and it beeped at me. Tomorrow I'm doing a longer ride and I know we'll take a long rest at one point, so I'll be sure and pause the device manually and see what happens.

Some good news is that when I uploaded to Strava it fixed it. I have reported the issue to technical support.
If you have the bug it won't go away.. You can try turning off auto wheel circumference and set it manually. If that does not work then you really only have 3 options.

1) Exchange it
2) Remove the speed / cadence sensors and ride using GPS only unit v4.1 is released.
3) Deal with it

Strava uses the GPS recordings so that data is not effected by the bug.

My unit does not have the bug but if it did, I'd do 1) in a heartbeat..
Old 08-09-14, 09:44 AM
Snapperhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have the bug it won't go away.. You can try turning off auto wheel circumference and set it manually. If that does not work then you really only have 3 options.

1) Exchange it
2) Remove the speed / cadence sensors and ride using GPS only unit v4.1 is released.
3) Deal with it

Strava uses the GPS recordings so that data is not effected by the bug.

My unit does not have the bug but if it did, I'd do 1) in a heartbeat..
I wonder why it didn't happen on the first two rides? Any idea what the circumference setting should be? I can try that if I see it again. It's not the end of the world since Strava fixes it anyway and that's pretty much what I use. But if it continues to happen I will probably contact Magellan about a replacement then.
Old 08-10-14, 09:37 AM
RSAmerica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cannot read the display on my new Magellan Cyclo 505 USA GPS with my prescription Oakley riding glasses (which are for distance only).
Normally I where progressive prescription glasses (trifocals). Bummer!...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.