Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 1000 -v- Magellan Cyclo 505

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin Edge 1000 -v- Magellan Cyclo 505

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-14, 12:05 PM
Mansram01

Bikes: '17 Trek Emonda, '16 Yeti ASR5, '14 Cdale F29 '08 Orbea Orca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Snapperhead
I received a repose to my support request, which directed me to install the desktop client. This client "detects" whether or not your device needs updates (among other things). Between firmware, software and maps, mine needed 4. I completed the updates and so far so good. I will continue to test and post feedback here.
Thanks for getting back to me. Getting antsy on making a decision soon. I'm liking the Cyclo 505 price point.
Old 09-03-14, 01:26 PM
Snapperhead

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mansram01
Thanks for getting back to me. Getting antsy on making a decision soon. I'm liking the Cyclo 505 price point.
NP. I got mine from Art's Cyclery online, and used a 15% off discount code.
Old 09-03-14, 02:32 PM
Mansram01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It appears they only carry the Cyclo 505HC. I'm planning on using my existing Garmin sensors & HR strap.
Old 09-03-14, 02:36 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
After 2.40 Upgrade, my Edge 1000 seems to be working well. After upgrading and 6 rides on two different bikes with multiple sensors, bluetooth and wifi, it's working spot on. Nothing dropping, all the stats are where I would expect them to be compared to other bike computers I've used. I'm pretty happy with it at this point.
Old 09-03-14, 02:53 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
After 2.40 Upgrade, my Edge 1000 seems to be working well. After upgrading and 6 rides on two different bikes with multiple sensors, bluetooth and wifi, it's working spot on. Nothing dropping, all the stats are where I would expect them to be compared to other bike computers I've used. I'm pretty happy with it at this point.
I was a little hesitant to get the 1000 given several less than stellar reviews, but so far none of the issues others are having have occurred. Guess you have to give new technology a little time to work out the kinks.
Old 09-04-14, 01:56 AM
Body

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After the update the Turn by Turn function can be off as well. So we can follow a course without having popups.
Old 09-05-14, 12:09 PM
Mansram01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bit the bullet and ordered the Magellan Cyclo 505 yesterday. Will I have to contact Magellan for the desktop client? This should be part of the package me thinks.
Old 09-05-14, 02:37 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I saw this on the Garmin forum and found it interesting:

Originally Posted by RAQBALLL
For now, my Cyclo is sitting in a drawer waiting on 4.1 to hit the US in the hopes that it solves the doubling bug. I am using my Edge 1000 for now and honestly it's gotten much better with the recent update. Segments on Garmin Connect are almost instant now and the Edge can now auto sync with Strava. Which will I end up keeping? I honestly don't know. There are things I like about the Edge and there are things I like better on the Cyclo.
Old 09-05-14, 05:44 PM
Snapperhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bit the bullet and ordered the Magellan Cyclo 505 yesterday. Will I have to contact Magellan for the desktop client? This should be part of the package me thinks.
No. When you connect it to your PC two folders will open automatically. One of then has the client setup executable in it.
Old 09-05-14, 07:30 PM
Huzzah

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just starting to my research bu so far I'm leaning towards the Magellan, seems like a great unit for the price. The one thing I like about the Garmin though is the virtual partner, so I can race against a previous ride of mine. Is there a way to get that functionality in the Magellan? Segments maybe?
Old 09-06-14, 12:54 PM
Mansram01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No. When you connect it to your PC two folders will open automatically. One of then has the client setup executable in it.
Awesome! Thanks. I should be receiving it on Monday. I'll write my own comments once I get it setup and try it on both road & mountain.
Old 09-06-14, 01:08 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I'm not surprised... the latest update (2.4) and everything on my 1000 is solid.
Old 09-06-14, 07:15 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
I'm not surprised... the latest update (2.4) and everything on my 1000 is solid.
Interesting. Wonder if the OP is going to update here.
Old 09-06-14, 07:50 PM
Mansram01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Hope I have a better experience with my Cyclo 505 on order.
Old 09-06-14, 08:19 PM
Snapperhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I believe I'm pretty much to the point where I'm ready to send my Cyclo 505HC back. I've tried everything suggested by support and again today after a longer rest during a century ride I had the doubling issue occur, TWICE! Unless support can give me some options that will actually FIX the issue, I'm going to request a refund. I'm very disappointed in this product.
Old 09-16-14, 12:45 PM
Mansram01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I believe I'm pretty much to the point where I'm ready to send my Cyclo 505HC back. I've tried everything suggested by support and again today after a longer rest during a century ride I had the doubling issue occur, TWICE! Unless support can give me some options that will actually FIX the issue, I'm going to request a refund. I'm very disappointed in this product.
What did you end up doing after all?

I had some issues with the speed sensor magnet not reading but got that squared away. The Magellan is quirky compared to the Garmin.

1.) When operating with the speed sensor enabled (and the magnet was not picking up), I would not get any speed or distance reading although the GPS functioned fine. The Garmin would have used the GPS data for this.
2.) The backlighting turns on every single time you tap it which the Garmin does too but the Garmin is smart enough to change contrast and to automatically turn the backlight on at sunset/night. You have to manually set this everytime on the Magellan. Not cool when you're descending a mountain trail and your screen map lighting shuts off.
3.) The Magellan uses breadcrumbs instead of a solid return path which is okay but not my favorite.
4.) If you leave the Dashboard to the main menu for any reason, upon return, it defaults to screen view 1. Not where you last left it. So if you were viewing your map, you have to scroll back to that view.
5.) Power meter readings are limited. The Garmin provides much more on-screen data such as L/R power distribution.
6.) The temperature displays only in Celsius. What's the deal with this? This blows chunks! That data field is no longer an option for me. Fahrenheit works great on Garmin.

I'm still assessing the Cyclo 505. The Navigation (compass & maps) and Wifi is pretty slick and works well. The Phone Sync on Android has been spotty when pairing but once it's connected, it works very well. Music control and receiving text messages are awesome.

Still very much on the fence though. If a firmware would address these issues, I'm sold but there doesn't appear to be any assurances and I'm not sure I want to wait around. It feels like compromising on the core features for some extras. My Garmin Edge 800 may be old but it's solid and reliable. The Magellan from a hardware perspective, is a solid device but lacks some nuisances and functions that make a huge difference for the end users. I have one more bike to test on with all the bells & whistles...

Last edited by Mansram01; 09-16-14 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-16-14, 01:36 PM
Snapperhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What did you end up doing after all?
Well, I have contacted technical support 3 times and finally received a call back from a supervisor. I've done a full factory reset and reload of all the latest firmware and software and maps, TWICE. I've sent them everything they've asked for (screen shots from their web site with different mileage readings for the same ride on different screens and copies of my GPX files), and I'm still waiting to hear back (4 days now). I had forgotten that someone mentioned on this thread that setting the wheel circumference manually and not letting it use auto sometimes helps the mileage issue, so I've done that but I've only been on one ride since I changed that setting. I'll do a couple of longer rides this weekend, so we'll see.

I can tell you this, I doubt I'll EVER buy another Magellan product!
Old 09-16-14, 04:00 PM
Mansram01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I have contacted technical support 3 times and finally received a call back from a supervisor. I've done a full factory reset and reload of all the latest firmware and software and maps, TWICE. I've sent them everything they've asked for (screen shots from their web site with different mileage readings for the same ride on different screens and copies of my GPX files), and I'm still waiting to hear back (4 days now). I had forgotten that someone mentioned on this thread that setting the wheel circumference manually and not letting it use auto sometimes helps the mileage issue, so I've done that but I've only been on one ride since I changed that setting. I'll do a couple of longer rides this weekend, so we'll see.

I can tell you this, I doubt I'll EVER buy another Magellan product!
Surprised you haven't returned it at this point. Is the latest firmware still 4.0 or is there supposedly a 4.1 version out there? I have my wheel circumference set to auto and it seems to be okay. Nothing noticeable but I'll have to keep an eye on that.

I dealt with Magellan's Live Chat and one of their techs disconnected me because I took too long when they asked me to test something. Then another tech seemed to be more interested in closing the ticket than actually resolving the magnet problem. And yes, I resolved that issue myself. Thank you! Not very impressed at this point.
Old 09-16-14, 04:39 PM
Snapperhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surprised you haven't returned it at this point. Is the latest firmware still 4.0 or is there supposedly a 4.1 version out there? I have my wheel circumference set to auto and it seems to be okay. Nothing noticeable but I'll have to keep an eye on that.

I dealt with Magellan's Live Chat and one of their techs disconnected me because I took too long when they asked me to test something. Then another tech seemed to be more interested in closing the ticket than actually resolving the magnet problem. And yes, I resolved that issue myself. Thank you! Not very impressed at this point.
As far as I know there is a 4.1 and according to them I have it. Although it doesn't say version 4.1 on my device, it's like 4.0.7.8808. So I'm a bit confused.

The only thing that's keeping me from returning it is that I can't get my money back. Frankly, I don't really want a replacement at this point as I don't want to have to deal with their tech support at any point in the future.

One thing I can say for Garmin, when I had a senor problem they sent me a replacement pronto. In fact they accidentally sent two, and when I called them to let them know, they said keep them both! Maybe I should've sucked it up and got the Garmin?
Old 09-16-14, 09:14 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
4.1 is not out for the USA Cyclo yet.. 4.1 has been released in Europe and Australia so the US release should be soon..
Old 09-16-14, 09:17 PM
raqball

What's so interesting about it?
Old 09-17-14, 02:24 PM
Snapperhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
4.1 is not out for the USA Cyclo yet.. 4.1 has been released in Europe and Australia so the US release should be soon..
Well according to tech support it is out? And according to the splash screen in the Windows update client it is as well?
Old 09-17-14, 02:30 PM
raqball

Well according to tech support it is out? And according to the splash screen in the Windows update client it is as well?
Not out in the USA yet....
Old 09-17-14, 04:07 PM
Mansram01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by raqball
Not out in the USA yet....
Any date on this being release in the US?

Did you end up keeping yours, Raqball?
Old 09-17-14, 05:47 PM
raqball

Any date on this being release in the US?

Did you end up keeping yours, Raqball?
No clue when but it should be soon I'd assume..

Yes I still have mine and I also have an Edge 1000. Right now I am using the Edge and the Cyclo is waiting for 4.1 to come.

My 1st Cyclo was broken when I knocked it of my kitchen counter. Even though it was my fault Magellan replaced it for $60. I sent the broken one in and they sent me a new unit. My 1st unit was rock solid and bug free. The replacement Cyclo has the doubling bug so I am waiting on 4.1 to fix that. Once 4.1 is released in the US and I've had some time to test it out I will decide which unit to keep.

The Edge 1000 has gotten much better now with 2.4.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.