Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tips for Riding a Tandem

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Tips for Riding a Tandem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-16, 08:02 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Mri G.
@Alcanbrad To keep costs down, we're going to be camping most of the time. ...you wouldn't happen to know if most people would be okay if we asked to pitch a tent on their farm or something would you? I know it can't hurt to ask, but I'd like to get an idea of what's actually possible to balance our budget better. I think I'd be really annoyed if I got eaten by a bear/cougar just to save $50. Lols.

And I get what you're saying about the solar panels, but turns out my partner already bought some without syaing anything so...guess we're just gonna have to see how it goes - though he thinks we'll have to be careful with it, but it should be enough. Carbonfiberboy also seems to support that decision a bit so yay!

@Carbonfiberboy My partner got an Anker Powerport Solar Light 15 Watt, whatever that means. Lols. I trust him on finding reliable and suitable gear though so I'm not too fussed. However a second opinion is always nice. (: Not sure how often we'll find a wall socket because neither of us have ever traveled through the Rockies, but hopefully we'll pass a few if the solar light isn't good enough. Assuming you just power up at libraries or something?
You can casually mention that you're pass through and are looking for a place to stay for the night ... and sometimes people may offer a free or inexpensive option ... but it can be a bit hit or miss.

You can try to camp in Municipal campgrounds ... they tend to be a bit less expensive.

You can wild camp in many places if you get off the beaten track a little way, and of course, leave no trace.

But once you get into National Parks, especially in Canada, you will need to camp in designated campgrounds and they are not cheap.

As for powering your electronics ... libraries, restaurants, toilet blocks. If you see lights on, there's power and may be a wall socket. Sometimes we have taken powered camp sites on our trips partially because those sites looked better than the tent sites and partially because there was power.
Old 12-18-16, 06:17 AM
Mri G.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Machka Thanks! Will look into Municipal campgrounds if we run out of options. And is that for all of Canada, or just their National Parks?

@Carbonfiberboy & @kingston & @bakerjw Will check out the body float, thudbuster, and suntour seatpost sometime later as right now, we're just testing out the ones they've come with. I don't think they're that bad, but we've only been able to test them for about an hour. Hoping to be able to get in three or four days this week though, but getting both of our work schedules to line up is being a real hassle.

@Mayonnaise Lols; not avid is putting it lightly as well. I can't really ride a bike on my own and would absolutely refuse to do this on singles. However, I trust my partner to not kill us better than I would myself and besides, it ain't an expedition if it isn't crazy. Haha. But trust me, I know my limits. I have a lot of medical problems that my husband's fussing over (he totally thinks I'm gonna die...), so Rob's going to be fine as well as there's no way I can outdo him - except for maybe in the comfort department because I'm used to feeling like **** 24/7. Haha. So we're not going to be completely stupid about this. However, the biggest problem we're facing at the moment, is Rob getting used to my constant wiggles. Me not wiggling isn't an option because unfortunately that's one of my stupid triggers and I'd end up in a disoriented/unresponsive state for a few days to a week at a time... So got any pointers for that? We've tried standing together and he claims it throws the bike around a lot, so is there a trick to standing up together? Thanks for the concern though. (:

@Carbonfiberboy Thanks for the link to the thread, though have no idea where baja is. Don't have the chance to read it atm as have to go out in about ten minutes, but assuming it's more for the info than the destination? And we're definitely going to try to do a few overnight trips before we head off for the big one.
Old 12-18-16, 06:27 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

@Machka Thanks! Will look into Municipal campgrounds if we run out of options. And is that for all of Canada, or just their National Parks?
That's for outside National Parks, and usually located on the outskirts of smaller towns.

Within National Parks, you've just got the National Park campgrounds, and you MUST stay within a National Park campground or in a hotel, hostel, or other designated lodging.
Old 12-18-16, 06:33 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

However, the biggest problem we're facing at the moment, is Rob getting used to my constant wiggles. Me not wiggling isn't an option because unfortunately that's one of my stupid triggers and I'd end up in a disoriented/unresponsive state for a few days to a week at a time... So got any pointers for that? We've tried standing together and he claims it throws the bike around a lot, so is there a trick to standing up together? Thanks for the concern though. (:

@Carbonfiberboy Thanks for the link to the thread, though have no idea where baja is. Don't have the chance to read it atm as have to go out in about ten minutes, but assuming it's more for the info than the destination? And we're definitely going to try to do a few overnight trips before we head off for the big one.
Baja is south of California.

As for standing ...

Find a flat bit of ground ... coast with your right foot down ... then Rob will say, "UP" or "STAND" ... and you'll stand up and stretch. Rob may then say, "OTHER FOOT DOWN" and you'll slowly drop your left foot, and stretch in that position. You may need to sit down for a moment between switching feet if you're uncomfortable making the switch while standing.

Rowan and I haven't mastered pedalling while standing yet, but we do stand and stretch periodically ... about every 10 min if possible.

As the stoker, you do have to sit quite still or you can throw off the steering. This is especially important when you're in heavy traffic, or climbing hills, or descending hills, etc.
Old 12-19-16, 02:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
My wife and I started tandeming this year. She was so nervous the first time, her heart palpitated, her breath went out of control, and I think she started sweating. I think we made it a quarter mile, maybe a half mile. I explained to her what to expect and how she can set rules, too.

We're working on ways of communicating in one- or two-syllable calls and replies, similar to how to sail a boat.

Captain: Signal left
Stoker: Signaling left

Stoker: Slow!
Captain: Slowing

Stoker: Coast

Captain: Pedal

Captain: Stopping

I plan to give her mirrors on the ends of her bars, because I have one on my glasses, but I'd like her to look out for me a bit. It takes a lot of attention to keeping the bike going straight and safe. Then she can say "car back" or take the initiative to signal "left turn" or "stay back".

I think the longest we rode this year was about 12 miles, and she's interested in going farther next year. We made it up a hill I never thought she could do from start to finish.

She's not good out of the saddle on her single, and I hope we can learn to do that together.

The captain is normally the one with the greater body mass, as he/she is most likely to have the most upper body strength. I'm 153, and my wife is only 107 pounds. There's no way she could keep the bike up with me sitting on it. I once had a stoker heavier than I, and I felt like we were going to careen into a curb.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-17-18, 05:53 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
After all this mostly good advice get out there and ride the tandem you have, and Ride . . . and RIDE some more!
Practice makes perfect; experiment with the gear you will need (not want). . . no need to lug a hair drier, electric shaver and all your electronic geegaw gadgets that most folks deem not to be able to live without.
We have traveled over a quarter million miles on tandems (we are now on tandem #5) and have ridden in over 30 states and provinces since 1975.
Now at ages 85 and 83 we still ride TWOgether about twice a week. Not as far, not as fast but out there enjoying ourselves!
Go do what you plan to do and enjoy!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 01-19-18, 04:15 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
The thread's a year old now, so hopefully, they're out riding. Any updates?
Old 03-18-18, 02:50 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
The thread's a year old now, so hopefully, they're out riding. Any updates?

Updates? Indeed! These two sure know how to blog! Beautiful photos and descriptions:

Lifelong Vagabonds Free Travel Blog

Most recent US trip:

Our 2017 Tandem Cycling Expedition Up the Rockies

These two are intrepid travelers. Just LOVE their sense of adventure. The southwest pics are awesome. Cycling from Moab to the Colorado border - nice job (among all their other accomplishments).