Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I’m really getting tired of flat tires.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 01:48 PM
JohnnyB65

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have a mountain bike with knobby tires and thought it would help me avoid flats. But riding in the desert with tumble weeds and other sharp needle like plants are killing me and I’m not enjoying ridding anymore. Many years ago I bought my son "puncture-resistant" tires and even they got flats although not as often. I could take the bike to the beach and probably never get a flat, but it’s a really long way from home driving in unbelievable traffic.
Old 01-14-18, 02:10 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
2 words: tube less. Or one word: tubeless.
Old 01-14-18, 02:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I accept they will be heavier and use thorn resistant inner-tubes .. inside a already heavy tire with puncture resistant tire cases..

But I'm not in your climate.. I skip flats for Years, here..
Old 01-14-18, 02:21 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Do I have to buy a whole new wheel for tubeless?
Old 01-14-18, 02:27 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyB65
Do I have to buy a whole new wheel for tubeless?
It depends on what you have. A lot of new rims made in the last 10 years have been "tubeless ready".

If not, some people have had success using tubeless on ordinary rims. Others don't recommend it.
Old 01-14-18, 02:33 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
See this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...goatheads.html

Two different approaches you might consider.

Really thick tires. Hopefully thicker than the length of your thorns.

Also suggested in that thread were Panaracer “Flataway” tire liners. A bit expensive, but they're supposed to be the best.

Finally, if you really don't like flats, consider the Tannus Solid tires. I think Specialized may be selling them now too, under their own name.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...olid-tire.html

NO FLATS.

A bit different of a ride. I have the narrow tires on one bike, but they have wider ones available. A bit of a pain to install, but you do it once, and they should be good for a good long time.
Old 01-14-18, 05:29 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Don't forget tire liners like Mr. Tuffy's. I've been using them for years.
Old 01-14-18, 06:51 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
See this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...goatheads.html

Two different approaches you might consider.

Really thick tires. Hopefully thicker than the length of your thorns.

Also suggested in that thread were Panaracer “Flataway” tire liners. A bit expensive, but they're supposed to be the best.

Finally, if you really don't like flats, consider the Tannus Solid tires. I think Specialized may be selling them now too, under their own name.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...olid-tire.html

NO FLATS.

A bit different of a ride. I have the narrow tires on one bike, but they have wider ones available. A bit of a pain to install, but you do it once, and they should be good for a good long time.
The Bicycle Tire Liners are interesting and I'm checking out YouTube videos on them now.
Old 01-14-18, 06:52 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Don't forget tire liners like Mr. Tuffy's. I've been using them for years.
Thanks I found them on Amazon, but they don't have my size so I have to look somewhere else.

Last edited by JohnnyB65; 01-14-18 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 09:09 PM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I tour on a gravel bike with 35 mm tyres. The tyres I used are Schwable Marathon Tour Plus as well as puncture resistant tubes. We have goat heads all over the outback in Australia and I can honestly state that I have not had a puncture in over 6000klm. I am not sure up to what size width you can get in these tyres, but they are the gold standard for bike tourers. They are expensive but they are the best. Mine are 700c but I think you can get them in any size. You will not regret buying them!
Old 01-14-18, 09:22 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Another vote for tubeless.
Old 01-14-18, 10:20 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
Another vote for tubeless.
+1
Another vote for tubeless
Old 01-14-18, 10:58 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well I just ordered the Mr. Tuffy liners on eBay. Everyplace else that had them said they could not send them to my zip code. I'm not sure why unless they are illegal in Southern CA

if this doesn't work, then I'll have to try the tubeless.
Old 01-14-18, 11:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Even tire liners aren't flat proof when things go wrong. A couple of weeks ago a cyclist on our monthly casual group nighttime ride got two flats in a row within a mile. She had tire liners. Just bad luck along a stretch of road with fairly ordinary broken glass and construction debris. Then the valve broke completely off the replacement tube so we patched the first tube. And we removed the liner because it was hindering repairs with cold hands. All together about a 30-45 minute delay on flats in chilly weather.

I prefer tires designed to be flat resistant. No liners to mess with, bunch up, uncurl, or accidentally pinch, deform or wear the tube prematurely.

If you don't absolutely need knobbies, check out Michelin Protek Cross Max. It's an aggressive chevron tread, excellent grip on anything but wet, slimy black gumbo and red clay. Toughest tires I've ever used or seen that also ride remarkably well. Besides the thickest tread of the Michelins it also has their thickest 5mm Aramid shield (basically Kevlar).

Never a puncture flat in more than two years, including on some ridiculously bad roads. The tread has been slashed down enough to reveal the yellow puncture shield beneath. I've pulled out goatheads, locust tree thorns, chunks of glass, staples, nails and drywall screws that didn't puncture the tube.

And they don't roll like lead filled balloons. In a single day I've compared the Michelins with Specialized Hemisphere and Innova tires, both with similar but shallower chevron tread and much thinner puncture shields (several flats with both of those sets of tires). The heavier Michelins rolled as well, my average speed and effort were the same, and they felt more secure in all kinds of conditions.

But if you decide to go tubeless most folks I know who've gone tubeless have nothing but praise -- as long as it's set up right to begin with.
Old 01-15-18, 07:47 AM
Bustergut

Bikes: Marin San Rafael

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use these Schwalbe Marathon Wired Tyre with Greenguard Reflex, yet to have a puncture and they have done about 500 miles so far (on and offroad)
Old 01-15-18, 09:23 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Tubeless is superior to liners and really the way to go

seating them can be a pain you need a compressor

Once set up they are worry free

you can run tires at lower pressure to improve comfort and traction as added benifits
Old 01-15-18, 10:54 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another vote for Tubeless, and a suggestion to use Stan's Race Day Sealant.

It's possible you may need to buy new rims and tires if your rim's aren't tubeless ready, but it's worth it. Low end tubeless ready wheels can be found for about $200/set (Forte Titan II at Performance Bike), and they actually hold up remarkably well. I've been using them as my daily "heavy" training wheels for about a year now. Many wheels coming as OEM's from bike mfgs are tubeless ready now.

I would however avoid using the Stan's cross rim strips to convert normal clinchers to tubeless. I did it about 10 years ago and it was more trouble than it was worth. Makes the tires infuriatingly difficult to get on the rim and to get properly mounted.
Old 01-15-18, 11:10 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Marathons are great. But they are slow to roll and hard to mount. Really hard. Read this.
Curtis Corlew in Bicycle Land: Schwalbe Marathon Plus mounting and review

I've never had a goat head flat with them. But I did have a very very odd puncture once...
Curtis Corlew in Bicycle Land: Death of a Schwalbe Marathon Plus
Old 01-15-18, 12:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,546 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
More like tubeless or more tubes.
Old 01-17-18, 04:49 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
^this and then get this: Dynaplug® Tubeless Tire Puncture Repair Tools and Accessories

You should get less flats and the ones you do get should be much easier to fix.

J.
Old 01-17-18, 05:43 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
^this and then get this: Dynaplug® Tubeless Tire Puncture Repair Tools and Accessories

You should get less flats and the ones you do get should be much easier to fix.

J.
WOW! I used to have flat kit years ago when my 10 speed was my only transportation, but this is pretty cool. I'm going to buy one of these for my tool collection. Thanks
Old 01-17-18, 05:53 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyB65
WOW! I used to have flat kit years ago when my 10 speed was my only transportation, but this is pretty cool. I'm going to buy one of these for my tool collection. Thanks
Yeah, they work pretty well. You can put more than one plug in a bigger hole too. I would think that between the plug an the sealant in the tubeless tire, you ought to be much better off. I would guess most of your punctures are pretty small if they are due to thorns.

J.
Old 01-17-18, 06:05 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Ride on the road . . .
Old 01-18-18, 09:22 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Finally, if you really don't like flats, consider the Tannus Solid tires.
Excuse me for my ignorance, I've never used tubeless bicycle tires. But if the OP is experiencing the flats as a result of punctures from the likes of thorns, cactus needles, and other pointy things in the desert, how will tubeless prevent the flats? Are tubeless tires thicker, more resistant to such punctures from such objects? If the tire gets a hole punctured in it you still get a flat...right?

Regarding solid, or "airless" tires (airless, not tubeless)...I'm strictly a roadie, but I have a couple of sets of solid/airless tires that I used several years ago. I initially got them so that I wouldn't have to worry about flatting on my way to work when I was commuting on a road bike, or during my quick lunchtime workout rides. But, I stopped using them mostly because I just didn't like their performance. There is a weight trade-off. Solid tires are heavier. But, there's no need to carry a pump, spare tube(s), tire tools, etc. They have a much greater rolling resistance than traditional pneumatic tires...noticeably in lost MPH. But, off-road that might not be as much of an issue. However, on bumps, the solid tires don't provide the impact absorption and distribution around the wheel that pneumatic tires offer. That can result in more isolated impact on the wheel and more likelyhood for damage to the wheel. I would only use solid tires if I were riding on very smooth surfaces, with no potential for bumps, where the reduced rolling resistance (i.e. speed) is not critical.

My suggestion is for tire liners. And if the commercial off-the-shelf liners aren't working out...maybe it's time to think outside the box and create your own, or use multiple tire liner layers.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 01-18-18 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-18-18, 10:18 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by TruthBomb
Wouldn’t it be awesome if there was some website that would answer such basic questions by just typing them into a box? I bet they would name it “Google” or something.

Tubeless tires prevent flats because typical punctures are plugged by sealant and snake bite flats are eliminated.
Wow. Thanks so much for your polite and worldly recommendation. Where might one find this Google thing?

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.