Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How do you guys deal with two days straight of rain/cold?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-20-19, 09:25 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
Power through the mud.
Old 02-20-19, 10:50 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I've always found it amusing that rain discourages so many people -- it's not like the vast majority of people find taking a shower to be a traumatizing event.

But this behavior is hardly peculiar to cyclists. I've noticed practically no one will go swimming or waterskiing when it's raining even if there's zero chance of lightning -- apparently, they don't want to get wet...
A cold shower isn't pleasant, for most people.

That said, the increased likelihood of a crash in wet or icy conditions, caused by an inexperienced or careless motorist, could be very traumatic.
Old 02-21-19, 05:38 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
It's snowed today in Los Angeles. The apocalypse is coming. Outsiders really do not understand how cold it is for us. The National Weather Service actually had to tweet what is snow because people are confused twitter.com/NWSLosAngeles/status/1098705104696356864

Back to back mornings with a starting temperature of 41. Ugh.

Last edited by Tycho Brahe; 02-21-19 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-21-19, 05:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
So Cal Softies

Originally Posted by Elvo
We're about to get hit with 2-4" of rain Saturday and Sunday with temps as low as 50F...

That's The Summer Low on the north coast.. 10C is the winter high on a good day...

just glad I don't have Wisconsin weather out here or even that of the interior of this state..
Old 02-21-19, 05:52 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I rode past Glen Helen Regional Park (15 corridor through the Cajon Pass) yesterday morning, trying to get out early before the rains returned. At 10am, it was 35º. It started raining in the late afternoon, and is still showering on-and-off now.

Today's high was 41º, and it snowed for a few minutes. Actual drift-down-real-slow snow. The overnight low is forecast for 29º.

Our average seasonal rainfall is 12.26". We've gotten 7.9" in the first 21 days of February. We're not built for this kind of stuff.
Old 02-21-19, 06:15 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
It's snowed today in Los Angeles. The apocalypse is coming. Outsiders really do not understand how cold it is for us. The National Weather Service actually had to tweet what is snow because people are confused twitter.com/NWSLosAngeles/status/1098705104696356864

Back to back mornings with a starting temperature of 41. Ugh.
Start at 41*F ... DAMN! I'd love to see that as a high temp!

I had a buddy moved to LA from Minneapolis, years ago there was snow in LA and he's out driving like it ain't no thing ... cop pulled him over for driving too fast in the snow, showed his MN licence and they let him drive on.

I understand not having the gear (bike or otherwise) to deal with cold, if I lived in LA I won't have cold weather gear. But I live in Minnesota and I ride gravel grinders in conditions colder and wetter than this.

Filthy 50 in October. we had 28*F with snow/rain/sleet/ice/..... I rode with the right hand bare for most of the ride so I could eat, put the Mickey Mouse glove back on when we got headwinds on the last 10 miles.

photo credit - https://markmanoutdoorphotography.com/
Old 02-21-19, 06:29 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Yeah but don’t forget, we have days in the summer where the overnight low is 90°. Hot we can do. Under 40 might as well be Antarctica.
Old 02-21-19, 06:36 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Yeah but don’t forget, we have days in the summer where the overnight low is 90°. Hot we can do. Under 40 might as well be Antarctica.
Nah, I live in Los Angeles, doesn't get hot either!

Last night I went out with a sweater AND a jacket. Both. Usually I have just a collared shirt or t-shirt with a jacket or just the sweater. There is an organized ride this Saturday that will be 80 miles and 10K of climbing (we live in a climbing paradise, flats are boring). That ride would not be a problem, but it will still take me a while, leading into the afternoon. That's when the wind really starts. No thank you. I will just bail once it starts getting cold.
Old 02-21-19, 08:44 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Start at 41*F ... DAMN! I'd love to see that as a high temp!

I had a buddy moved to LA from Minneapolis, years ago there was snow in LA and he's out driving like it ain't no thing ... cop pulled him over for driving too fast in the snow, showed his MN licence and they let him drive on.

I understand not having the gear (bike or otherwise) to deal with cold, if I lived in LA I won't have cold weather gear. But I live in Minnesota and I ride gravel grinders in conditions colder and wetter than this.

Filthy 50 in October. we had 28*F with snow/rain/sleet/ice/..... I rode with the right hand bare for most of the ride so I could eat, put the Mickey Mouse glove back on when we got headwinds on the last 10 miles.

photo credit - https://markmanoutdoorphotography.com/
My wife wonders, "How are you still alive?"

Poor thing would never survive a MN winter, not outdoors anyway.
Old 02-21-19, 08:59 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Ugh, we have two months of that here.

July and August are real hell, high humidity as well, often 80% or higher.
Old 02-21-19, 10:31 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
+1

I love the heat of summer in AZ/Peoria, but under 60 and I'm chilled. If it's dry/sunny, I'll ride unless it's in the 30's.
Old 02-21-19, 11:02 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

The past two weeks combined with the forecast for the next few weeks has got me shopping for a proper pair of winter cycling shoes (the fact that I now apparently have Reynaud's is definitely contributing as well) and the search is... not going well. I'm to the point where I'm mostly not paying attention to the price tags, but finding a shoe in US13.5/14 is proving to be very difficult.

I couldn't feel my toes for a full two hours after riding yesterday. I was hobbling around like my feet were made of wood.
Old 02-21-19, 11:34 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
The past two weeks combined with the forecast for the next few weeks has got me shopping for a proper pair of winter cycling shoes (the fact that I now apparently have Reynaud's is definitely contributing as well) and the search is... not going well. I'm to the point where I'm mostly not paying attention to the price tags, but finding a shoe in US13.5/14 is proving to be very difficult.

I couldn't feel my toes for a full two hours after riding yesterday. I was hobbling around like my feet were made of wood.
electric sox?
Old 02-21-19, 11:47 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not a problem here in France. Still 0°C at the moment, but will be 18°C at midday. Glorious sunny weather. Just shows there are upsides to global warming
Old 02-22-19, 04:26 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
Nah, I live in Los Angeles, doesn't get hot either!

Last night I went out with a sweater AND a jacket. Both. Usually I have just a collared shirt or t-shirt with a jacket or just the sweater. There is an organized ride this Saturday that will be 80 miles and 10K of climbing (we live in a climbing paradise, flats are boring). That ride would not be a problem, but it will still take me a while, leading into the afternoon. That's when the wind really starts. No thank you. I will just bail once it starts getting cold.
it can (but hasn't in the last few years if i'm remembering correctly) get up to triple digits in dtown la. if it's hot, you can do night/morning/evening rides. when it's cold for us socal locals, there's no good time.
Old 02-22-19, 04:43 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Sunshine is still on strike here. (5C + sprinkles)

I can count the days I have seen blue sky on one hand in the past few months.

Should be sunny and into the double digits tomorrow, so they say.
Old 02-22-19, 07:36 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
My wife wonders, "How are you still alive?"

Poor thing would never survive a MN winter, not outdoors anyway.
HA!

I'm still wondering how my wife let me back in the house after this ride!
Old 02-22-19, 12:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
This uh... this is where the trail used to be. This pic was taken on Wednesday, and we got a bit over 3" of rain on Thursday, so I'm thinking the situation has not improved.

Out on the pavement, the amount of road debris is really quite something. Regardless, with luck on my side I'm gonna get out there for a couple of hours in between rain bursts.

Y'all are used to this kinda stuff elsewhere, but you have to look at it from our perspective-- 6.5" of rain so far in February, and we got ~13.5" for all of 2018.
It snowed here, which happens some winters, but more this time. All the grocery stores immediately ran out of gluten free bread and soy milk. If -10 was a speed, that's how fast people would have been driving.

That pic looks like a lot of hikes I've done (minus the trees) but when you're not used to it, it can be a shock.
Old 02-22-19, 12:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I've always found it amusing that rain discourages so many people -- it's not like the vast majority of people find taking a shower to be a traumatizing event.

But this behavior is hardly peculiar to cyclists. I've noticed practically no one will go swimming or waterskiing when it's raining even if there's zero chance of lightning -- apparently, they don't want to get wet...
A shower is pleasantly warm though, and you dry off immediately when you're done. Going out to ride in the rain, it sucks to get a flat, have to stop and get chilled, and then have to start again cold and wet.

I'll be skiing at Cabin Creek into April.
Old 02-22-19, 03:43 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

In between rains, we're now getting the SoCal Wind Effect-- the winds are coming in from the north-northeast, off of the high desert, where it's in the 40s. They blow right across the San Gorgonio Mtns, where it's in the 20s. Then it just rolls down off the snow-covered face of the mountains at 10-15mph, and washes over us-- and it's currently in the mid-50s here, and clear as a bell. So you ride toward the sun and it's genuinely warm... then a gust of wind hits you, and your sweat now feels like being hosed down with an ice cannon. The magic of being frozen and sweaty at the same time. This morning I completely sweat through my gloves, but my toes were freezing.

Back to normal next week, it looks like-- mid-60s, maybe even low 70s, will be pretty nice.
Old 02-22-19, 10:51 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 145 Posts
Here in Vancouver we've had three weeks of cold weather, with multiple snowfalls, and today driving sleet. So I'm on the trainer indoors, praying for warmer weather.
Old 02-22-19, 11:35 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
A shower is pleasantly warm though, and you dry off immediately when you're done. Going out to ride in the rain, it sucks to get a flat, have to stop and get chilled, and then have to start again cold and wet....
Yes, maybe the rain falling from up above is pleasant, but what about road spray?
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I get wet and I enjoy it…I have rain gear but it's more fun to get wet if the temps are > 60*F. I save the rain gear for colder temps.

EDIT: Fenders. I would enjoy riding in the rain a lot less without fenders, especially in the spring when the roadkill from all winter might be leaking and running downstream...
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I once read an amusing post where the subscriber described the water splashed off of the road as a solution of chemicals, grime, and "liquified road kill."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-22-19 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-23-19, 12:01 AM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
In between rains, we're now getting the SoCal Wind Effect-- the winds are coming in from the north-northeast, off of the high desert, where it's in the 40s. They blow right across the San Gorgonio Mtns, where it's in the 20s. Then it just rolls down off the snow-covered face of the mountains at 10-15mph, and washes over us-- and it's currently in the mid-50s here, and clear as a bell. So you ride toward the sun and it's genuinely warm... then a gust of wind hits you, and your sweat now feels like being hosed down with an ice cannon. The magic of being frozen and sweaty at the same time. This morning I completely sweat through my gloves, but my toes were freezing.

Back to normal next week, it looks like-- mid-60s, maybe even low 70s, will be pretty nice.
Im up in Joshua Tree and I've never been more excited for future weather. After weeks of non stop wind, rain and snow, I'm so grateful it's soon back to the prime months of riding weather for us before the heat kicks in.
Old 02-23-19, 11:02 AM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Listening to my Hi-Fi system, and red wine.
Old 02-23-19, 01:31 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by BluFalconActual
Im up in Joshua Tree and I've never been more excited for future weather. After weeks of non stop wind, rain and snow, I'm so grateful it's soon back to the prime months of riding weather for us before the heat kicks in.
Could be one of those frustrating years when it goes from overnight freezing, to mid-90 degree temps ... in the space of one week. No Spring to speak of, just straight from Winter to Summer. Lived on CA all my life, seen it happen several previous years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.