Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tour de Tahoe

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Tour de Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-19, 06:18 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Tour de Tahoe

I've wanted to do this 72 mile lake lap for years; we have been vacationing in North Lake Tahoe for quite a few summers but never got around to the full circuit. Since I retired last June, we could plan our trip for September when the event is held.

What a great ride! Good support and route. Freezing cold at the start...this Socal boy isn't used to temps under 40! But it warmed up as the day went on and I was happy.

A few shots and glad to have checked off a long awaited goal!
Old 09-17-19, 06:46 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
My wife and I were there, too, intending to do the ride.

The alarm went off that morning, I checked the temperature, in the 30s, got back in bed. We had brought along no cold weather clothing.

We instead drove to Turtle Rock Park near Markleeville, where the temperature was in the 70s. Beautiful ride on empty roads.

Blue Lakes Rd summit

Diamond Valley Rd

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-17-19, 07:22 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
The alarm went off that morning, I checked the temperature, in the 30s, got back in bed. We had brought along no cold weather clothing.
My wife and I were there last year but we were just there by coincidence. As we drove closer to the hotel we we wondering where all the people and bikes were coming from. Fortunately, traffic wasn't bad and we were getting there late in the afternoon when it was ending.

But I agree with you about the weather. We got up the next morning and walked to a restaurant that had been recommended for its breakfast. It was freezing, I kept telling myself there would have been no way in heck that I would have woken up 2 hours earlier and ridden around the lake. Way too cold!
Old 09-18-19, 10:02 AM
nesdog

It was truly freezing! They do have two clothing drops at the beginning that I decided not to use. I started with a short sleeve jersey, arm warmers, leg warmers and an ultra light windbreaker. Yeah, dumb. Once we topped Emerald Bay, the sun came out and the temps rose, 50's and low 60's. By the time we hit the Tahoe City rest stop, around 9:30 (roughly 30 miles in), I was able to shed a few things. If I do the event again, I will bring something for my face, which was the coldest part of my body for that first hour.

As an aside, we stayed in Tahoe for another five days following the ride. Mid-week, just a day after we hiked the Mount Rose area, snow flurries came in.
Old 09-18-19, 10:05 AM
nesdog

Nice shots Terry! Empty roads are the best. Glad you got in some miles.
Old 09-18-19, 10:45 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog
Nice shots Terry! Empty roads are the best. Glad you got in some miles.
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the ride around the lake.

If you ever have some time to spend in the Tahoe area, I recommend exploring some of the roads farther from the lake.

North of the lake, you can ride from Truckee up and over Donner Pass.

To the south is Diamond Valley, an easy ride on mostly empty roads with great mountain views.

And there's this little gem, Blue Lakes Rd. One of my wife's favorites anywhere.

Of course, there are plenty of big climbs--if you're into that sort of thing (Monitor Pass, Ebbetts Pass, Carson Pass, Luther Pass, Kingsbury Grade, Mt. Rose Highway).

The views of the lake from Mt. Rose Highway are pretty sweet:

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-18-19, 10:56 AM
nesdog

We've spent 6 of the last 7 summers (usually in July) vacationing in North Lake Tahoe. I've done the NLT-Truckee-Tahoe City loop multiple times in each direction. The climb up 267 from Truckee to Brockway Summit is murder! As we stay in Carnelian Bay, I will do that climb from King's Beach side as a morning or afternoon challenge after hikes or other activities.

My wife and I ride the Truckee River Trail from TC to Squaw each time, have lunch and then head back. Also the West Shore trail. BTW, there is a new East Shore route from Incline to Sand Harbor that is really beautiful. It's short at 3 miles so a better walking one but now bypasses the busy road.

Thanks for the recommendations on the other routes. Will hang on to those for next summer!
Old 09-18-19, 10:32 PM
rojrdojr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And, don't forget the Valley just over the hill... (Genoa, Minden, Gardnerville). With supper at the JT Bar which is the most unique and popular Basque restaurant in the region and beyond, followed by a soak in Grover Hot Springs in Markleeville. Take in the history of it all!

I cycled most of W. Montana and then, eventually moved back home. So much to do in this region. Too may trails to hike, roads to bike and views to take in for just one lifetime. Tahoe is the gem in the center of it all. Paradise. Hope to make the ride next fall.

Oh, and make sure to drop by for a conversation with Mark Twain (pic left). He doesn't say much but he is a good listener...

Last edited by rojrdojr; 09-18-19 at 10:35 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-19-19, 06:35 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
We were in Incline Village for a wedding ~8 or so yrs ago. Road around the lake looked a bit dicey for single bikes with a lot a blind curves/short choppy hills that
would make for nerve wracking car/bike conflict, road can be pretty narrow as well. OTOH a lot of bikes on the road for an event is another matter.
For hill climbers the roads out of the Tahoe basin all seemed to have a large paved
shoulder both sides so easy to stay out of the way of 60mph or so cars.
Old 09-19-19, 09:46 PM
nesdog

The road is closed to traffic for the first climb through Emerald Bay....that area is where the pix I shared were taken. After that, it's open roads. Lots of highway notices to cars via signs around the rest of the course. Some of the areas do have narrow shoulders, but with that many bikes out there, we were pretty easy to spot.
Old 09-24-19, 08:26 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog
It was truly freezing! They do have two clothing drops at the beginning that I decided not to use. I started with a short sleeve jersey, arm warmers, leg warmers and an ultra light windbreaker. Yeah, dumb. Once we topped Emerald Bay, the sun came out and the temps rose, 50's and low 60's. By the time we hit the Tahoe City rest stop, around 9:30 (roughly 30 miles in), I was able to shed a few things. If I do the event again, I will bring something for my face, which was the coldest part of my body for that first hour.

As an aside, we stayed in Tahoe for another five days following the ride. Mid-week, just a day after we hiked the Mount Rose area, snow flurries came in.
Historically, Tahoe can get snow any calendar month of the year. We went to Shakespeare on the Lake one August evening in 2001, and the nighttime continental U.S. low was 31 F, in nearby Truckee.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-25-19, 06:47 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

I love that ride around the lake.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman: