Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Force eTap v. Ultegra Di2 v. Dura Ace

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Force eTap v. Ultegra Di2 v. Dura Ace

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-19, 09:31 AM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
I feel the same about synchro shifting, unfortunately. In theory it's great, but the settings you can do to set it up properly are just too restrictive (for me).
Old 11-22-19, 11:07 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Mansram01
Same here. Had the brifter batteries for two years and still Green! I charge the derailleur batteries like every 6 weeks just out of habit.
Yep. I charge my EPS so infrequently that I always seem to lose the charger.
Old 11-22-19, 05:18 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I've a Campy user and find that my Record 12 shifts so damn good that going to anything else is silly. It's just that good.

That being said, I just put 1x GRX Di2 on a gravel bike and while it's nice, it isn't game changing. It shifts when I want it to. I do like that all the wiring is hidden for the most part which is why the bike had Di2.
Old 11-23-19, 01:56 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Ultegra DI2 if price is at all a consideration. Chains, cassettes, a new rear DR, and most other spares are MUCH cheaper than SRAM Force. SRAMs OEM business model looks like a printer cartridge scam, - Get the bike cheap now, pay later.
Old 11-23-19, 03:35 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Ultegra DI2 if price is at all a consideration. Chains, cassettes, a new rear DR, and most other spares are MUCH cheaper than SRAM Force. SRAMs OEM business model looks like a printer cartridge scam, - Get the bike cheap now, pay later.
Thank you. I was not in the cycling business. I was in the medical laser business. We developed unique products that, in our view, moved the ball significantly forward and we charged a premium price for that. It worked. The company took off. That was our model. Build the very best and charge a premium. We knew who we were ans we stuck to that. So, all our customers knew who we were, too. There was no confusion.

What exactly are Campy's and SRAM's business models?
Old 11-23-19, 04:20 AM
Racing Dan

All im saying is, you can get a complete SRAM Force etap bike at around the same price as a Ultegra DI2, However most spare parts and consumables are much more than the equivalent Shimano part. Just like when you get at cheap printer and two months down the line get to pay $50 per 5ml of ink.

Im not looking for a debate, just sharing my opinion.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 11-23-19, 05:22 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
All im saying is, you can get a complete SRAM Force etap bike at around the same price as a Ultegra DI2, However most spare parts and consumables are much more than the equivalent Shimano part. Just like when you get at cheap printer and two months down the line get to pay $50 per 5ml of ink.

Im not looking for a debate, just sharing my opinion.
Again, thanks for the information. I actually was just looking to be educated by someone because I am interested in this topic.
Old 11-23-19, 09:50 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Force AXS is 12 speed and Di2 is 11 speed, so you should expect a higher priced cassette. Force 12 chains are not expensive. Nothing else is normally a consumable.

If you try to buy a groupset to build up a bike, the Force AXS is very high priced. I bought two Campy Chorus 12 groups for about the same as one force axs group. I see UDi2 groupsets for about the same price as Chorus 12 mechanical.

One thing not mentioned is how slowly electronic makes multiple shifts. With campy mechanical, 3 sprockets smaller or 4 larger only requires one quick push of the thumb button or sweep of the finger lever. I make great use of the new 48/32 crank and 11-34 cassette, with much closer cog spacing than shimano 11.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 11-23-19, 09:54 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Force AXS is 12 speed and Di2 is 11 speed, so you should expect a higher priced cassette. Force 12 chains are not expensive. Nothing else is normally a consumable.

If you try to buy a groupset to build up a bike, the Force AXS is very high priced. I bought two Campy Chorus 12 groups for about the same as one force axs group. I see UDi2 groupsets for about the same price as Chorus 12 mechanical.

One thing not mentioned is how slowly electronic makes multiple shifts. With campy mechanical, 3 sprockets smaller or 4 larger only requires one quick push of the thumb button or sweep of the finger lever. I make great use of the new 48/32 crank and 11-34 cassette, with much closer cog spacing than shimano 11.
Because, it doesn't. And with Shimano you can change the multi-shift speed if you want.
Old 11-23-19, 10:14 AM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Because, it doesn't. And with Shimano you can change the multi-shift speed if you want.
That's not what owners of Force AXS say on the weight weenies forum. Those who have never owned campy equipped bikes can't compare.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...+axs&start=375

Last edited by DaveSSS; 11-23-19 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-23-19, 10:16 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
That's not what owners of Force AXS say on the weight weenies forum. Those who have never owned campy equipped bikes can't compare.
Amigo, check my list of rigs.

Force might shift slow--but that is a force thing, not an electronic shifting thing.
Old 11-23-19, 11:11 AM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Amigo, check my list of rigs.

Force might shift slow--but that is a force thing, not an electronic shifting thing.
Good to know.

From weight weenies:

"Just demoed the himod ultegra di2 disc. Drivetrain gave me the same impression (compared to mech Campy) as the Force etap I rode on a few days before: noisy, clunky and pretty boringly slow. No denying it makes shifting easier when hammering in the drops, but I found the close by buttons rather confusing. The etap is much better in this regard. I liked the Ultegra brakes better than the Sram but the Sram might have needed a better bleed. All together, as long as I still ride in a place where rain can be avoided, i see no reason to get disc or electronic (i see some benefit if doing hard racing, otherwise nope)."

Last edited by DaveSSS; 11-23-19 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-23-19, 11:14 AM
Racing Dan

Anyone can look up the prices for them selves. Around where I live every single part, be it a normal consumable like cassette or chain, or items that are prone to damage in a crash like the rear DR or the brifters are significantly more expensive. This is not opinion, its fact. You decide if its worth it or justified being 12s vs 11s. All I said was, if price is a consideration then DI2 is the way to go, even if a complete bike is roughly the same price.