Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Presta vs Schrader Valves

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Presta vs Schrader Valves

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-20, 09:13 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
FWIW I find the screw on heads, like the Lenzyne better for both presta and scraeder...but the flip lever on a joe blow did ok also

one on my shop pump

the one on my pump I carry on the bike again lenzne

Can you recommend a source for just the valve head? I'd be interested in finding Presta screw on heads for my shop air compressor and for my trail Morph pumps.
Old 03-06-20, 09:24 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Carbon dioxide is actually the heaviest of all the naturally occurring atmospheric gases. It's also a huge molecule in terms of the bond lengths. Oxygen, nitrogen and water are all fairly small in comparison. The issue with it diffusing out of rubber isn't the size but the way it interacts with the rubber. Oxygen, nitrogen and water vapor...in order of rapidity...diffuse through the rubber via small channels and holes in the rubber and are rather slow to do it. Water can't really get out of the rubber at all because of it's molecular shape and the electron configuration.

Carbon dioxide, on the other hand, doesn't just diffuse through the rubber, it actually dissolves through the rubber. It doesn't weaken the rubber but it makes a kind of solid/gas solution and zips right through. It has a lot to do with the electron configuration and the shape of the CO2 molecule.

All of the gases with the exception of water (which really isn't a "gas") will diffuse from the high pressure system in the tire to the lower pressure outside the tire. CO2 just does it better than the other gases.
What about argon, the 3rd most abundant gas in the air? How would that work? Just wondering.
Old 03-06-20, 09:29 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
It sounds like you have a pump chuck like this one.

The issue you seem to be having is that you are jamming the head on to the Presta valve as far as it will go. You don't need to do that. All you need to do is to clear the threads for the valve cap and throw the thumb lock. The valve shouldn't come in contact with anything inside the chuck. It doesn't need to and it's detrimental to keeping air in the tube. Let the valve work like it is supposed to...as a check valve. No need to hold it open.

The problem with the Lezyne (and many other pump chuck designs) is that it sacrifices the simplicity of the Presta valve for no reason. The Lezyne head needs to be screwed into place. It's fiddly. "Smart heads" (which aren't, really), have a soft pin that pushes on the Presta valve which is also not needed. The Silca chuck simply slips on and slips off. There's nothing inside the head that even touches the pin on the Presta valve. Slide it on and pump the tire. Slide it off when done.

The Silca is a bit expensive...$40!!!!...but there are others that work just as well without costing an arm, leg and first born child. The SKS adapter

is usually less than $10 and works as well as the Silca without the name.

Generally, a 16 oz cartridge is enough of only one tire and maybe a little bit...depends on the volume and pressure of the tire. If there is any left over, it will probably leak out before you can use it again. The seals on the head aren't all that good.

Carbon dioxide is actually the heaviest of all the naturally occurring atmospheric gases. It's also a huge molecule in terms of the bond lengths. Oxygen, nitrogen and water are all fairly small in comparison. The issue with it diffusing out of rubber isn't the size but the way it interacts with the rubber. Oxygen, nitrogen and water vapor...in order of rapidity...diffuse through the rubber via small channels and holes in the rubber and are rather slow to do it. Water can't really get out of the rubber at all because of it's molecular shape and the electron configuration.

Carbon dioxide, on the other hand, doesn't just diffuse through the rubber, it actually dissolves through the rubber. It doesn't weaken the rubber but it makes a kind of solid/gas solution and zips right through. It has a lot to do with the electron configuration and the shape of the CO2 molecule.

All of the gases with the exception of water (which really isn't a "gas") will diffuse from the high pressure system in the tire to the lower pressure outside the tire. CO2 just does it better than the other gases.
That pump head is almost identical to the one I have.

What you said is exactly what I am doing. I am looking at that little thin PrestI Valve and remember the trouble I had getting a seal with a cheap pump I once had and I jam the pump head onto the valve with my thumb and air blows past my thumb. I am pushing down too far and opening the check valve. It is a unique design of the PrestI Valve with the check valve that the Schrader does not have that prevents air from escaping if you have a leaky head or pump hose. I can see that feature and I can see there are better heads like the Silka and less expensive but just as functional SKS that are designed right to work with the PrestI slipping it on creating its own seal without screwing something on or engaging a hard to engage lever. That would make using PrestI much easier. I get that. My objection with PrestI Valves is its narrow,weak base where it attaches to the tube. The Schrader's is much,much better and the valve locks into the rim hole better and is more compact. They are not as chic but I think they are more reliable and foolproof. I base everything on reliability, it is crucial to me,crucial. So I do not need a more efficient PrestI system because I do not like them and am not going to use them. So the Lezyne Head really looks good to me for using it on Schrader Valves. It really looks like a good tool and surprisingly reasonably priced for such a nice looking tool. They also have a small, carry pump reasonably priced which I assume is of equal quality that is reasonably priced for such a nice tool.You are going to carry a pump over Co2 every time over reliability to handle any situation?

I assumed Co2 dissipated rather quickly because it is a lighter gas. It is not,it is a heavier gas. It dissipates because of a molecular reaction. I did not know any of this. It is basically a one time, short term use. I should have kept the package. Maybe I will carry both cartridges to get some use out of them. Another thing, after each flat you have to buy another cartridge. You will pay for a Lizyne pump in no time.

Last edited by mjac; 03-06-20 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-06-20, 10:00 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Try Presto valves. They work like magic.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 03-06-20, 10:00 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
The question was rhetorical. The post was really an observation.
A couple of things were going on here. One,I do not know this person. I have never corresponded with them. I have no idea what their level of experience is. I wanted to know if they had tubular tires and tubeless tires mixed up so I could answer correctly. How was I supposed to know they knew what sew ons were. Not everyone does. I was trying to clarify that.Two, not knowing this person and them not knowing me they call me a Troll and insult my intelligence.That is not going to fly.

Ironically, I completely agreed with their original post and believe it was accurate in the reason PrestI Valves continued to be used after sew ons even to today. That and people being able to continue to use their pumps after clinchers were introduced.

Last edited by mjac; 03-06-20 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-06-20, 10:36 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
So at what point did we stop using Woods valves and what was wrong with them? Having a threaded hose that screws on seems to be back in style so maybe we should go back to Woods. They seemed to be quite good at not leaking any air out when you were attaching and removing the hose.
Old 03-06-20, 10:48 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
What about argon, the 3rd most abundant gas in the air? How would that work? Just wondering.
It's hard to say. Helium goes through latex quickly and probably through a butyl rubber tube slower because of the increased thickness. But it's likely caused by straight diffusion based on size of the molecule. Helium is a noble gas and doesn't interact with the world all that well. I'd suspect the same for Argon. Diffusion is a function of molecular size for the most part but CO2 is special because of it's interaction with the rubber.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-06-20, 11:01 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by guy153
So at what point did we stop using Woods valves and what was wrong with them? Having a threaded hose that screws on seems to be back in style so maybe we should go back to Woods. They seemed to be quite good at not leaking any air out when you were attaching and removing the hose.
Not being familiar with Woods I looked them up and they mostly do have a check valve that prevents air from escaping so that would be an improvement over the Schrader. But this guy Sheldon Brown says they generally are not suitable for high pressure tires for whatever reason. They also have that metal neck. I do not like that metal neck that narrows down connecting to the tube. As ugly as they are, I like that stubby rubberized neck of the Schrader connecting to the tube. It looks more stable.
Old 03-06-20, 11:04 AM
mjac

It's hard to say. Helium goes through latex quickly and probably through a butyl rubber tube slower because of the increased thickness. But it's likely caused by straight diffusion based on size of the molecule. Helium is a noble gas and doesn't interact with the world all that well. I'd suspect the same for Argon. Diffusion is a function of molecular size for the most part but CO2 is special because of it's interaction with the rubber.
It is a conspiracy.
Old 03-06-20, 11:13 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Try Presto valves. They work like magic.
Not like PrestI

Last edited by mjac; 03-07-20 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-06-20, 11:17 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by mjac
That pump head is almost identical to the one I have.
It's one of the better "improved" head designs as long as you remember to push the lever to the opposite side that you have attached to the valve.

What you said is exactly what I am doing. I am looking at that little thin PrestI Valve and remember the trouble I had getting a seal with a cheap pump I once had and I jam the pump head onto the valve with my thumb and air blows past my thumb. I am pushing down too far and opening the check valve.
Yep. Pushing it down too far. Don't bury the valve as deep and it will work just fine.
​​​​​​​
My objection with PrestI Valves is its narrow,weak base where it attaches to the tube. The Schrader's is much,much better and the valve locks into the rim hole better and is more compact. They are not as chic but I think they are more reliable and foolproof.
The Schrader has it's own weaknesses and isn't nearly as foolproof as you make it out to be. Schraders are prone to cutting the rubber sheath on the valve stem. That makes them just as delicate as the Presta. For some reason, Presta valves don't creep as much as Schraders seem to. Seldom do I see a Presta valve canted in the valve hole. I often see Schrader valves that are at an odd angle in the valve hole. Often those Schrader valves are showing signs of being cut or are cut. It's still pretty delicate.

In my experience, Schrader valves also suffer more problems if you use sealant. The spring mechanism clogs rather easily. I don't use sealant with any regularity but I see a lot of clogged valves at my local co-op. Almost 100% of them are Schrader. This may be due to more tubes with sealant being Schrader tubes in the past but I really haven't seen that many Presta valves that have been clogged with their greater use now in tubeless setups. There's less in the valve to clog.

Presta valves are chic, they are just simple. Lots of people appreciate that simplicity. YMMV
​​​​​​​
I base everything on reliability, it is crucial to me,crucial. So I do not need a more efficient PrestI system because I do not like them and am not going to use them. So the Lezyne Head really looks good to me for using it on Schrader Valves. It really looks like a good tool and surprisingly reasonably priced for such a nice looking tool. They also have a small, carry pump reasonably priced which I assume is of equal quality that is reasonably priced for such a nice tool.You are going to carry a pump over Co2 every time over reliability to handle any situation?
Most of us do the same. I haven't found Presta valves to be unreliable. I have 11 bikes in my garage currently. Every one has a Presta valve in each tire. I also have a trailer that has a Presta valve in it (it's difficult to find 20" Presta tubes). I've also been using Presta valves on my bikes for decades in every possible condition and never had a systemic problem using them. I've used them on multi-week tours throughout the US and they have been overwhelmingly reliable. I've had a few valves separate from the tube but I've also experienced valve stem cuts when I used Schraders in the distant past. In both situations, I blame the uses...me...not the tube.

As for the Lezyne head, I find the same problem with the Schrader side as I do with the Presta side. Screwing on the head is bothersome and time consuming. On the Schrader side, because of the pin opening the valve, there's even more opportunities for leakage on the Schrader side. The head on a Topeak Morph, for example, makes a better seal for both kinds of valve. Yes, the head has to be disassembled to change from one head to the other but most people use one kind of tube so it's not a major issue.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-06-20, 11:19 AM
cyccommute 

It is a conspiracy.
Nope. Science.

Old 03-06-20, 11:24 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by guy153
I've only ever seen one Dunlop valve (same valve) in many decades of working on bikes. I was struck by the simplicity of the valve. It's very much like a Presta in that it is a check valve. Air goes in and the valve closes when the pressure equilibrates.

On a curious side note, long ago, we used to get a little rubber tube in some Rema Tip Top patch kits. I never knew what it was for until I saw a Dunlop valve.

Old 03-06-20, 11:25 AM
mjac

I just grabbed this quote to reply,my IPad is acting up. I am going to compromise with you. The rides I exclusively use the Co2 Cannisters in the kit with are 8 mile Rec Rides at sun up and sun down. So 1 or even 2 Co2 canisters should be enough so for compactness I will use those on the Rec rides. On longer rides I will also bring the Linzyne (spelling?) bike pump.
Old 03-06-20, 11:26 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Schraders are prone to cutting the rubber sheath on the valve stem.
Does that actually matter though?

I certainly try to avoid it, but I saw a picture where someone had carved all the rubber off to force the then essentially bare metal stem of a schrader tube into a presta rim.

I guess it would depend on if the rubber sheath over the metal has any role in the ultimate rubber to metal seal.
Old 03-06-20, 11:30 AM
mjac

Nope. Science.
Its a conspiracy by bicycle pump manufacturers to sell more pumps using the diffusion, pollution tactic. Just like the MTB Pedal and Shoe Manufacturer's smear campaign against Toe Clips and straps. I am convinced.
Old 03-06-20, 11:34 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by UniChris

I certainly try to avoid it, but I saw a picture where someone had carved all the rubber off to force the then essentially bare metal stem of a schrader tube into a presta rim.

I guess it would depend on if the rubber sheath over the metal has any role in the ultimate rubber to metal seal.
Schraders Rule. The ugly duckling of valve stems.
Old 03-06-20, 11:36 AM
UniChris

Schraders Rule. The ugly duckling of valve stems.
Happens that on my short-term shopping list is the adapter to put a presta tube in a schrader rim... I'm not going to keep the same tube in two valves on hand.
Old 03-06-20, 11:49 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
The question was rhetorical. The post was really an observation.
And the cognoscenti all got it.

I wanted to know if they had tubular tires and tubeless tires mixed up so I could answer correctly. How was I supposed to know they knew what sew ons were.
LOL, the tyro troll exposes his naivete again in comic manner.
The question wasn't about SEW-UPS, it was about your ability to engage in conversation about bicycle mechanics.
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
You're new to this sport, aren't you?

Look @mjac - This issue has been discussed in this forum hundreds of times; you're not interested in the answer, you're interested in arguing. We're all helpful people in here, but we have limited patience with newbs who don't know their stuff and tell us we're all wrong.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 03-06-20 at 12:11 PM.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 03-06-20, 11:53 AM
cyccommute 

Every rubber coated Schrader valve that I've seen cut has resulted in an unrepairable leak...just like a Presta detaching from the tube. What you may be seeing is a fully threaded Schrader valve. Those are rather rare here in the US. They are made that way and would share the same vulnerabilities as the Presta valve because the connection to the tube of the rubber is the same.

Old 03-06-20, 12:01 PM
mjac

It's one of the better "improved" head designs as long as you remember to push the lever to the opposite side that you have attached to the valve.

Yep. Pushing it down too far. Don't bury the valve as deep and it will work just fine.

The Schrader has it's own weaknesses and isn't nearly as foolproof as you make it out to be. Schraders are prone to cutting the rubber sheath on the valve stem. That makes them just as delicate as the Presta. For some reason, Presta valves don't creep as much as Schraders seem to. Seldom do I see a Presta valve canted in the valve hole. I often see Schrader valves that are at an odd angle in the valve hole. Often those Schrader valves are showing signs of being cut or are cut. It's still pretty delicate.

In my experience, Schrader valves also suffer more problems if you use sealant. The spring mechanism clogs rather easily. I don't use sealant with any regularity but I see a lot of clogged valves at my local co-op. Almost 100% of them are Schrader. This may be due to more tubes with sealant being Schrader tubes in the past but I really haven't seen that many Presta valves that have been clogged with their greater use now in tubeless setups. There's less in the valve to clog.

Presta valves are chic, they are just simple. Lots of people appreciate that simplicity. YMMV
​​​​​​​

Most of us do the same. I haven't found Presta valves to be unreliable. I have 11 bikes in my garage currently. Every one has a Presta valve in each tire. I also have a trailer that has a Presta valve in it (it's difficult to find 20" Presta tubes). I've also been using Presta valves on my bikes for decades in every possible condition and never had a systemic problem using them. I've used them on multi-week tours throughout the US and they have been overwhelmingly reliable. I've had a few valves separate from the tube but I've also experienced valve stem cuts when I used Schraders in the distant past. In both situations, I blame the uses...me...not the tube.

As for the Lezyne head, I find the same problem with the Schrader side as I do with the Presta side. Screwing on the head is bothersome and time consuming. On the Schrader side, because of the pin opening the valve, there's even more opportunities for leakage on the Schrader side. The head on a Topeak Morph, for example, makes a better seal for both kinds of valve. Yes, the head has to be disassembled to change from one head to the other but most people use one kind of tube so it's not a major issue.
Yeah, the head is an improvement over what I had, but I still do not like flipping that lever, it is awkward. That is why I like the Lizyne which it doesn't seem you have warmed up to. You may lose a bit of air but I don't think it would take any more time. But you screw it on you have a positive connection every time. You are done. Besides it looks cool.

I have to to disagree with you on the bases of the two valves. Just on an external inspection, the Sshrader's base is more sturdy and stable. My experience has been PrestI Valves split at their base. This might not be typical for other people, but it is for me. There is more room for error with the Schrader. I did not know about the Sealent issue, that is something to consider. I believe the chanting of Schrader stems is due to under inflation which people do chronically.
Old 03-06-20, 12:03 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
Can you recommend a source for just the valve head? I'd be interested in finding Presta screw on heads for my shop air compressor and for my trail Morph pumps.
Retro Grouch lots of bike stores have them but this is the most comprehensive https://www.lezynestore.com/pump-parts/

Old 03-06-20, 12:08 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
I am am curious about one thing, this is how I learn things.nWhy do you use a small hand pump, albeit with a Lenzne head to pump up a tire to 115-120 psi when they have compact Co2 systems that will do it in seconds. I do not understand this from a size perspective and a pumping perspective.
because i have had more than one flat on a ride, I also have helped other biker fix and pump tires and speed not huge factor. I would have to carry at least 3 cartridges to be comfortable (and have a stockpile at home) and that is more than the size of my pump

Old 03-06-20, 12:10 PM
mjac

Happens that on my short-term shopping list is the adapter to put a presta tube in a schrader rim... I'm not going to keep the same tube in two valves on hand.
I used a piece of drinking straw and tube from a pump bottle. Why buy when you can hack? It's more fun.

But this presents an opportunity. Get out your dril and drill the PrestI hole out and join the legions of no nonsense Schrader users. It would be good practice using the drill. That's what I ended up doing after another frustrating PrestI episode. It was liberating.
Old 03-06-20, 12:20 PM
UniChris

Every rubber coated Schrader valve that I've seen cut has resulted in an unrepairable leak...just like a Presta detaching from the tube. What you may be seeing is a fully threaded Schrader valve.
I can't say how long the person got away with it, but this was an ordinary rubber coated one where the user had carved most of the rubber off. The residual pieces and knife scrapes on the brass made it quite obvious.

But this presents an opportunity. Get out your dril and drill the PrestI hole out and join the legions of no nonsense Schrader users. It would be good practice using the drill. That's what I ended up doing after another frustrating PrestI episode. It was liberating.
Pointless since presta 36er tubes are more readily available, less expensive, and lighter weight than the sole source of schrader ones. And that goes for the 29er MTB tubes some stretch to fit, too.

What I have heard of people doing is drilling an additional presta-sized hole and reinforcing the rim tape in the area of the unused factory schrader one.

Last edited by UniChris; 03-06-20 at 12:25 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.