Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best and Worst Inventions for Bikes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Best and Worst Inventions for Bikes

Old 03-18-20, 01:19 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I just think it's funny that you have it bemoaned in one place two feet away from a place no one ever thinks about it.

I mean, single piece cranksets are press-fit if you want to get nerdy about it. I sometimes wonder why cheap bikes like Walmart bikes even have ball bearing headsets when it seems like they could get by fine for their normal design life with a nylon bushing.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-18-20, 03:45 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Not sure what you're saying. Are you suggesting FFS should be included or why was it invented? I didn't include it because it's a refinement of the ratchet drive in general, only repositioning it away from the driven wheel. It was a pretty smart attempt to make gear changing easier for those who don't understand der shifting. The rider can coast and shift gears, or even get off and walk the bike to shift. IMO a cool idea but in the application it failed in the market place. Some have said that this was one of Shimano's mistakes, introducing a new idea at the low end of the market where buyers don't care as much for the technical details and where production cost limitations (to meet price points) resulted in less then better performance. (And that it wanted a special freewheel didn't help it's acceptance in the LBS).

Actually much like Shimano's Positron rear shifting. Positron was an early indexed shifting attempt brought out, like FFS, in the recreational end of the market. It never really caught on until it was "reinvented" as Dura Ace AX and thus became what many, mistakenly, call the first indexed shifting system. Now that an indexed system was found on the high end/racing bikes the idea took off. Andy
Good list! My only suggestion would be to move indexed shifting up into the top group.

Back in the day we had a pair of 80s Schwinns with the FFS system. I thought it was a pretty slick system that let you coast and shift and would sometimes make life a bit easier when you had to slow suddenly and then were caught in a high gear. I was good for my wife as she would often to forget to downshift. We had those bikes for 25 years and put a lot of trouble-free miles on them.

A few years ago I found a mint pair of the same bikes and did a complete refurb/restore on them before I resold them. The women's had the Positron system. I had heard that they were nasty to set up and touchy, but after reassembling the bike I had no problems with it at all. Maybe I got lucky, but I thought it was a slick idea - my wife would have loved it because she never completely mastered the non-indexed shifting.
Old 03-18-20, 05:21 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I think carbon fiber wheels have to be at least an honorable mention, or maybe an honorable mention to the honorable mention list. They've allowed rim designs that wouldn't be feasible with aluminum extrusions that have really advanced the state of the art, and even more so when purpose-built to be used with disk brakes.
Old 03-18-20, 09:00 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Going back to the beginnings of the bicycle: wheels made with separate hub, rim, and tensioned spokes have an amazing strength to weight ratio. (Recalling that the first "draisine" bicycle had wooden wheels with spokes held in compression.)

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 03-18-20, 11:58 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
"League of American Bicyclists"? In a list of bicycle inventions? In a list of best bicycle inventions? Seriously? Facepalm...

Aside from this single entry, the first part of the list is passable, although one can easily come up with ten (or twenty) more "inventions" of equal or greater importance. The "Honorable Mentions" part looks completely random. The "Worst" part looks like it's been compiled by a simpleton or an internet troll.

Last edited by AndreyT; 03-19-20 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-19-20, 02:55 AM
gilesa

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Enclosed chaincase, which makes chain drive truly practical in most climates. Look how much people here fuss over lubricants as confirmation.
Old 03-19-20, 07:52 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
"League of American Bicyclists"? In a list of bicycle inventions? In a list of best bicycle inventions? Seriously? Facepalm...

Aside from this single entry, the first part of the list is passable, although one can easily come up with ten (or twenty) more "inventions" of equal or greater importance. The "Honorable Mentions" part looks completely random. The "Worst" part looks like it's been compiled by a simpleton or an internet troll.
You're welcome. So far yours is the only troll post. Andy
Old 03-19-20, 09:06 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT

Despite your listing as a "Senior Member" it seems you are new here. Andy an internet troll? That's absolutely absurd. This is his list based on decades of shop ownership and a huge amount of expertise. Feel free to add or delete as you see fit but don't insult the original.

As to the LAW/LAB being an invention, no, not not in a mechanical sense but as a benefit to the early growth and acceptance of bicycles, it played a huge role.
Old 03-19-20, 02:10 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
To drift from the thread's intent- A major reason the current breed of press fit BB are so problematic is the lack of needed dimensioning control. Carbon is a poor material to machine. So many frames use a mold insert to produce the sizing for a bearing top slide into. So the needed slight interference fit is easily not quite right.
Exactly, and as Hambini himself has pointed out, threaded BBs like contemporary Shimanos are press-fit too. It's just the bearings are press fitted for you into the part you buy and you screw those in.

To get back on topic not sure if anyone has mentioned "powercranks". These are cranks with freewheels in them that supposedly train a smooth pedalling style or something.

The strangest invention I've seen was a bike with no seat tube, intended to solve the problem well-known to mountain bikers of the seat tube getting muddy. A few inches of seat tube were left at the top and bottom where fairly large gussets had been added. There was also a short middle section remaining, connected to the downtube with a little outrigger, whose purpose was just to have somewhere to attach the front mech. These days you'd probably just run a 1x setup. I saw this at a bike show in the 80s but for some reason never since.
Old 03-19-20, 02:16 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
The tandem bike would be on my best list. For efficiency, fun and relationship acceleration.
Old 03-19-20, 03:49 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by reburns
The tandem bike would be on my best list. For efficiency, fun and relationship acceleration.
Yes indeed but not necessarily in a positive direction.

I remember reading a saying: "Where ever your relationship is going, it will get there faster on a tandem."
Likes For HillRider:
Old 03-19-20, 08:25 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Pneumatic tires!
Also liked the idea of those hand grips that you could play like a flute.

Rapid rise RDs for the fail.
Old 03-19-20, 08:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Pneumatic tires!
Also liked the idea of those hand grips that you could play like a flute.

Rapid rise RDs for the fail.
"Rapid demise" is what we called the Low normal rear ders. Andy
Old 03-19-20, 09:51 PM
woodcraft

Ha!
Old 03-19-20, 10:31 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
While I understand Shimano’s thought process...having both levers move the same way...I never could understand their engineering. It’s almost like they had never actually ridden a mountain bike. Back in the bad old days of nonramped cranksets and weak front derailer springs, we always had to anticipate a climb or the derailer wouldn’t do the derailing on the front. I’ve bogged down on climbs many, many times because I couldn’t get into the lowest gear on the front. The best front shifting I’ve ever experienced was when I used a high normal Suntour Mountain Tech front derailer. Hit the lever and the thing would downshift like nothing else ever invented.

If Shimano had wanted to make a workable system with shifters that moved in the same direction, they should have concentrated on the front. If they had made a high normal front derailer, they would have had a clear winner and everyone would have been singing their praises. Of course they would have figured out someway to screw that up since Shimano doesn’t make a good front derailer, especially not their expensive ones.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-19-20, 11:45 PM
woodcraft

GCN's take:

Old 03-20-20, 12:06 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
We used to talk about this pretty often in the engineering office. That's a good list.

Mentioned once above, I think LED lighting is by far the best related invention in my lifetime. Though, like helmets, it's an accessory.

I also agree with the safety bicycle geometry.

How about chrome steel wheels with rim brakes for the worst?
Have to agree on LED lighting, and not limited to bicycles.

As my first multispeed bike had steel chromed Rigida Rims, complete with serrations (with Mafac Racer brakes), I have to agree. The brakes are still good after all those years, and the rims were strong (but heavy), and if bent could be bent back (but heavy and if they stopped they would not be bent), but the smallest amount of moisture was a real eye-opener (both from the howl of rhte serrations and as in eyes wide with terror as the brakes did next to nothing). Upgrading that bike to alloy rims was the best bang for the bucks upgrade EVER.
Old 03-20-20, 06:53 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
Have to agree on LED lighting, and not limited to bicycles.
This is a bit of thread drift but I also think LEDs are a major improvement for all types of lighting. They came along just in time to replace power inefficient incandescents and the interim and problematic compact florescent bulbs for household and commercial lights. For bike lights and other portable battery lights they have been a huge improvement.

I have a couple of flashlights the size of lipsticks and run by one AAA battery that put out hundreds of times the light with better battery life that my older 2D cell incandescent lights ever did. I replaced nearly all of the lightbulbs at home with LED bulbs and have better lighting, far better bulb longevity and a noticeable reduction in my electric bill.
Old 03-20-20, 07:13 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Worst:

Suspension seat posts

Suspensions on cheap box store bikes: When they put a suspension on a $75 it is just too freakin cheap to be reliable.

Best:

Open Cage RDs
Old 03-20-20, 07:47 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
My favorite bikes would not have seemed out of place a century ago. However, almost every component of the bike, while retaining its basic form, has been improved greatly thanks to newer materials. So I'm going to start with:

High quality steel
Aluminum alloys
Stainless steel
Synthetic rubber

Those things have improved bikes across all price levels. Some of my other favorites:

Sturmey Archer
Puncture resistant tires
Ashtabula crank

As an old timer who has worked on a lot of old bikes, my pet peeves are largely due to the proliferation of standards. Many of the new ideas are OK in isolation, but add to the difficulty of finding spares and salvaging bikes later on. You might wonder about the Ashtabula crank. It was a great idea for its time, and easier for a DIY'er to maintain than a cottered crank. It tolerated relatively low precision parts. The main difference now is that modern cranks have aluminum arms and higher precision bearings.
Old 03-20-20, 09:37 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 399 Posts
" Low normal rear ders.
Never heard that term before. Does my Simplex 543 qualify? Lever forward for the largest rear cog, lowest ratio. Pull back for taller gears.

Old 03-20-20, 11:09 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,561 Times in 3,763 Posts
Worst inventions for bikes?

Automobiles
Cell phones
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 03-20-20, 11:16 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Disc brakes! ;-)
Old 03-20-20, 03:17 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
I made this list in my head over a few decades and in the late 1990s put it to paper for an upcoming local Cleveland bike club winter meeting. It shows my bias and view from behind the service counter, from being the boss for nearly 15 years at that point, from being a rider who was a fast wanabe and from my frame building experiences. I'm sure many will add their best or worst.

The criteria I tried to follow were base level stuff and not tweaks to already existing designs. (Like der gear trains met the top 10 and indexed shifting barely made the honorable mentions, as without multiple gears indexing is a moot point).

As much as the best 10 are what many will focus on as a lifer in the LBS it's the 10 worst that really hits home for me. Often it's what to avoid that's more important then what to pick. Andy
the long sharpe knife seat ....bad idea.
Old 03-21-20, 09:42 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Worst: Maillard Heliocomatic hubs. Arghhhhhhhhhh...............................

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.