Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 01-06-19, 09:33 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 3,082 Times in 1,632 Posts
Kicked down another 100 surrounding the SDBC "A" ride. 6 hrs pedaling time, fourth ride of that magnitude in as many weeks. Time to decrease the frequency of these monster rides and start getting some race-level intensity in!

Last edited by TMonk; 01-06-19 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 12:08 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Solid week, just establishing a baseline and hoping to lose some weight. I'm about 15 lbs over race weight and unfortunately, I didn't lose any weight. I did track my calories and was under for the week so it should start coming off soon.
Old 01-07-19, 12:36 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
MRI revealed no meniscus tear so the orthopedist thinks that I've been dealing with synovitis, which is basically when the inner lining of the knee is inflamed. I've been riding indoors pretty much fine for the past month and I'm doing FTP work on the trainer (direct drive smart trainers are ****ing awesome). I'm pretty much walking normally again at this point too, it's just like wearing jeans/tight pants or sitting for too long with my knee at certain angles that hurts. If it isn't 100% in another 6 weeks the doc suggested a cortisone shot, but the way it's been feeling lately makes me think that won't be necessary.

Anyway, lots and lots of zwift lately. Probably lots of zwift into the foreseeable future too since cold feels not so great.
Old 01-08-19, 11:25 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
How steep can a hill be for some 3x3min VO2 on the TT bike before the hill affects your position or using a TT position?

I would rather not toss this repaired frame on a trainer and local to my house the longest flatter intervals route is like just 2 minutes. The hill is 3 minutes.
Old 01-08-19, 11:54 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
How steep can a hill be for some 3x3min VO2 on the TT bike before the hill affects your position or using a TT position?

I would rather not toss this repaired frame on a trainer and local to my house the longest flatter intervals route is like just 2 minutes. The hill is 3 minutes.
I do not think it matters unless the grade gets too steep for the gearing. For the Mount Diablo HC 10 time trial, several racers used TT bikes with a disc/trispoke because about 15% of the climb was flat to rolling before it went to 6-8% grade. I used a road bike for that race. I have trained riding my TT bike up Kings Mountain 6% grade.
Old 01-08-19, 02:54 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

The Tour de Murrieta TT (RIP) was great because it had varied terrain. About half of the (~10 min) effort was spent on a fast, rolling road, then it turned up a dirt/gravel climb. Even at the top level you had a pretty diverse range of equipment choices.
Old 01-08-19, 05:00 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Did two eight-hour weeks last week and the week before. Drove my TSB to -83 one day, and then -81 again by Sunday. Haaaa.

CTL up to 40 from 5 in December.

Did 25 mins today at 283w on Zwift and it hurt. A lot.
Old 01-08-19, 06:20 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep

Personally I think it matters. The ideal is doing your TT workouts on the terrain you do your TT racing on. Training on hills forces a lower cadence than training on flats. For me, generating X power on the TT bike at a cadence of 85 is a different thing than generating that same power at a cadence of 95. Especially lately I’ve noticed this, wonder if ts related to mountain biking. But the higher candence work at the same power feels to me like it requires more CV support whereas the lower cadence more muscular force. You ideally want to be able generate the power equally well at a variety of cadences but with hill work you of necessity are only working low cadence efforts.

Dont get me wrong, I do a lot of TT work on hills but I don’t thinks it’s ideal unless I have a hill to contend with in an upcoming TT. Sometimes you just have to go with the available road, but if you’re ok with the trainer this might be a good application for it.

As to how steep is too steep, that’s an interesting question. To me, 1-3% uphill grade isn’t really a hill and works well for TT efforts. 4-6% is a non-steep hill and is ok but not optimal. Much over 6% and I think it’s enough of a different thing from most TT races that I just don’t ride those hills for true TT work.
Old 01-08-19, 07:33 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Rest week...Back at the gym today to ease into very light strength training. Tomorrow, back on the bike for an easy spin around Fiesta.
Old 01-08-19, 07:45 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Last weekend was a mixed bag. Saturday's run went well, almost 6.5 miles at race pace (<9:00/mile - hey, I'm old and feeble!). I went to what passes as "hilly" for around here to try to remember how to climb. I did 34 miles of mostly sharp rollers and surprisingly kept the same pace as the last time I rode it and felt pretty good while on the bike. When I got off the bike my lower back went into WTF were you thinking? mode. It hurt to straighten up. I had apparently pushed harder than I should have, likely due to the fact that my Powertap hub had chosen that morning to go tango uniform so I rode by feel for the first time in several years. I took Monday off from training and went to the chiropractor, which helped a bit. Did a ~1:30 endurance pace ride this morning and felt like my cycling legs are starting to make a comeback.

1:15 run tomorrow, which should give me about eight miles at race pace. Thursday looks like 3-4 hours endurance pace on the bike, Friday is an easy 30-minute run, Saturday will be another ~1:15 run, and Sunday another three hours on the bike.

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-08-19, 08:32 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Ramp test that pegged my ftp right where I was before my 3 weeks off the bike over xmas. It surprised me, but I'm super stoked. I'm ahead of where I was last year even though I started my training many weeks later than 2017/2018.

Then I did an hour of roughly sweetspot on zwift in our teams online group ride.
Old 01-09-19, 09:54 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Why is it seem sometimes your body conspires against you when you want it to do something.

Wanted, and did do some, vo2 work last night. Not on point. I can usually swing 18min total doing 3x3min stuff. I may need to back off sometimes if I overcook one.

Last night grand total of 1.5 reps at 3min. I consolidated my losses and did some 1min on one off before calling it.

Now, today, the body feels capable. I should have done something different since yesterday my body gave indications it wasn’t the day.

Oh well.
Old 01-09-19, 03:46 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Rest week...Back at the gym today to ease into very light strength training. Tomorrow, back on the bike for an easy spin around Fiesta.
I had ~3 weeks off lifting due to break from work (and gym being closed, and being too lazy to do my **** via bodyweight) and eased back into it. Crippling soreness as if I've never lifted before. Good thing I like muscle soreness from lifting. It feels productive.
Old 01-09-19, 07:24 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Ygduf
I had ~3 weeks off lifting due to break from work (and gym being closed, and being too lazy to do my **** via bodyweight) and eased back into it. Crippling soreness as if I've never lifted before. Good thing I like muscle soreness from lifting. It feels productive.
A few days for me is not very much and in general, I feel stronger after a rest. However, 3 weeks could be a problem.

Back at Fiesta today for a couple of laps of tempo. It felt good to be pedaling again and it was a beautiful day with light winds.
Old 01-09-19, 08:15 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

2x20' on Fiesta this morning, 97 and 99%. Felt great. Focused on "pushing up" from under my aerobic threshold and never forcing any anaerobic pedal strokes.
Old 01-10-19, 07:29 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

An hour run last night. Kept the HR aerobic for it all. Pretty decent pace given all the hills. Not as cool outside as I hoped, I over dressed. I was hoping for 30's but it was clearly mid 40's as the weather front hadn't pushed through yet. I might break into the mid and lower 8min per mile pace for longer stuff someday. Not enough volume really to do any better. Engine is there, run legs are not.

I'm going to take today off, or do a 30 min recovery spin inside.

I really really really really want to get in some high speed TT bike action soon. I finished gluing the tubs and a spare tub, so I can run the rear disc and front HED tri spoke now. I can imagine those tires/wheels to be quite a few watts savings over my pretty old Giant aero wheels with a tire that's probably just big enough to not be aero.

I'm also excited for a nice day because I found a stretch of local country road that was recently paved, is fairly wide, and low traffic for a good route. Hnnggg.
Old 01-10-19, 09:13 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Couple hours on the fixed gear just to keep the legs spinning after intervals on Tuesday and Wednesday. Off tomorrow. Looking to go for some intensity and volume both days this weekend so I should be stacking on the TSS.
Old 01-10-19, 11:32 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

I raced on Sunday and had two days of rest, followed by two "bread and butter" type TT trainer workouts: 2 x 10 @105% and 1 x 30 @100%. Both should have felt hard but doable. They felt very very hard, took tons of willpower to get em done.

Sometimes its about the legs, sometimes its about the brain. Whatever. Got em done, so I'm happy.
Old 01-10-19, 12:39 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

That 30' - yikes! Esp. after the first two.
Old 01-10-19, 12:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
5'+5' over unders on the trainer at lunchtime. Then strength and flexibility workout (yoga and Redcord) in the evening.
Old 01-10-19, 01:23 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by TMonk
That 30' - yikes! Esp. after the first two.
Two different workouts. The 1 x 30 was by itself today. Based on the definition of FTP, though, that should be doable for an hour, right? Seems to me that 30 min at 100% should be an everyday 'no biggie" thing.

A couple of weeks ago, I had those two workouts scheduled back to back and missed both workouts on account of needing to be at the Dachshund Field Trials earlier than I realized. The following day I skipped the long unstructured ride that was on my schedule in lieu of an impromptu make-up session that actually was 2 x 10 @ 105% followed by 1 x 30 @100%. Wasn't sure I could get it done but it went surprisingly well.

I posted awhile back about listening to the book Endure on Audible. So fascinating that I'm going through it a second time. The book is about the physiology of endurance. Some of the stuff in there about the physical basis fatigue is really thought-provoking. I know it relates to what I have experienced on the trainer in the past few days. Trying to wrap my head around exactly what my thoughts are, its mentally tantalizing to vaguely understand something is important but to not quite be able to formulate a clear thought on an intellectual level.
Old 01-10-19, 08:00 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
@Heathpack - I need to find that book.

I ran yesterday, 8.23 miles of which ~7.8 was race pace...actually, faster than race pace. I need to maintain ~9:00/mile to break two hours for a half marathon, my average pace was 8:46. I set PRs for 5k and 10k. I wasn't pushing, that's just what my legs wanted to do. rTSS was 110.

I paid for it today. I was supposed to do a three-hour endurance pace ride; the route I took usually takes 3:10-3:20. It took 3:36 today, and I finished feeling like a coyote ate me and puked me over a cliff. TSB at the end of the ride was -22, the farthest I've been into negative territory since September. I'd almost forgotten what it was like.

Note to self: Run TSS =/= bike TSS.

I spoke with my coach afterward, going to cut back a little on the volume. I'll still end the week in negative territory, and will take it relatively easy the first part of next week.

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-10-19, 09:38 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Zwift race last night. Was fun, basically an hour of sweetspot with a bit of OU work. Today was PT and an easy ride. My therapist is transition from working on my patellar tendon to my patella femoral based on some of the stuff I've said (no pain in movement, lots of pain if I sit for an extended period of time, especially if cramped). New stretches to do and new muscles I didn't know the human body had.
Old 01-11-19, 10:25 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Two different workouts. The 1 x 30 was by itself today. Based on the definition of FTP, though, that should be doable for an hour, right? Seems to me that 30 min at 100% should be an everyday 'no biggie" thing.

A couple of weeks ago, I had those two workouts scheduled back to back and missed both workouts on account of needing to be at the Dachshund Field Trials earlier than I realized. The following day I skipped the long unstructured ride that was on my schedule in lieu of an impromptu make-up session that actually was 2 x 10 @ 105% followed by 1 x 30 @100%. Wasn't sure I could get it done but it went surprisingly well.

I posted awhile back about listening to the book Endure on Audible. So fascinating that I'm going through it a second time. The book is about the physiology of endurance. Some of the stuff in there about the physical basis fatigue is really thought-provoking. I know it relates to what I have experienced on the trainer in the past few days. Trying to wrap my head around exactly what my thoughts are, its mentally tantalizing to vaguely understand something is important but to not quite be able to formulate a clear thought on an intellectual level.
Sure 1x60 at 100% is theoretically possible. Doesn't mean that 30' is easy! I've done a lot of 2x30' workouts on Fiesta Island but I set the bar low at ~93-95%. I think @gsteinb does 3x20' at 100% sometimes... good grief
Old 01-11-19, 12:47 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Ramp test at not 100%, did as expected which wasn't what I wanted but its still early.

Down 7 pounds from last week!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.