Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carrying Tandem in Truck Bed with both wheels attached?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-18, 09:57 AM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've been trying to find or come up with a method for more than a year to haul our tandem in the bed of our truck (Toyota Tundra 6.5ft bed) "without" removing either wheel. Currently, I remove the front wheel and attach to fork mount that I created myself. Taking on and off the front wheel is simply not a convenient or stress free thing after doing so for the last year. The main issue is constant change in the front disc brake adjustment with rubbing, etc.

I don't see anything on the market for purchase so I assume I need to create something that works for me using other parts / pieces.

If you have something you currently use, please let me know.

Currently I have two ideas ... if anyone can chime in on ideas or thoughts:

1. I have an old Yakima Raptor Aero which is a bike frame clamp-on that holds onto the bike frame behind the front wheel. But, not sure how good this will work even if I'm able to figure out how to install / mount it to boards or metal braces inside the bed of the truck. Here's the Raptor Aero I'm talking about: https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Bike-R...ma/Y02093.html. Or, similarly, I could use this ... without the tray and mount it to a board/ply: https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Bike-R...an/S64720.html.

2. What about using the 1Up trandem tray that holds both wheels? I might be able to install it onto two boards/pipes of some sort and slide the tandem into the back wheel support first and then fold up the front wheel support. Here's the 1Up Tandem tray: https://www.1up-usa.com/product/tandem-roof-tray/

We are also upgrading to a new custom Carbon tandem in less than two months so I want something that is definitely safe and secure as far as it not being damaged or falling over, etc.

Any thoughts, hints, ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!
06' Cannondale Six13 TeamOne
06' Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"
92' Trek 5200
Old 03-17-18, 12:40 PM
akexpress 

Bikes: 2015 Calfee Tetra tandem,2016 Calfee Tetra Adventure Tandem, Ventana ECDM 26 mtn tandem, Ventana ECDM 29r full suspension Mtn tandem ,Ventana Fat tire tandem, Calfee Dragon Fly, Santa Cruz Carbon 5010, 907 Whiteout fat tire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
We carry our Calfee carbon tandem in our truck quite often . The simplest way is to get a Dakine bike pad for the tailgate and merely hang the front wheel over the back. The Dakine pad has velcro straps on the back to help secure the bike but it is actually quite stable with out it.. You can stabilize the back end of the tandem with a strap or bungee to to the stoker seat from the sides of the bed although we don't do it. We have a One Up tandem tray that works great on the roof but never tried it in the truck. Are you sure the bike will fit in with both wheels on in a 6.5 ft bed? When we rent a car when traveling we try to get a pickup and have a See Sucker vacuum fork mount that we put on the cab of the truck (either the rear window or roof) and use that. We have used that technique many times with great success . We have used that same mount system to carry two Calfee tandems on a rental van roof with strong sidewinds without issue. You should not have problems with your front brake adjustment by removing and reinstalling the front wheel. I assume you might have BB7 brakes on your tandem. Make sure your brake is centered using the self centering washers that are part of that brake and the inner adjustment is not overly tightened. We have two of the Cannondale tandems in the family and have used these techniques with them. YRMV of course
https://pull03-lpohbcpw0.netdna-ssl....X-1-dakine.jpg

Last edited by akexpress; 03-17-18 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-17-18, 12:51 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting idea, never thought about using the Tailgate Pad for a tandem. HHHmmmm ... I'll have to give that some though. Yes, it does fit but only at an angle of course.
92' Trek 5200
Old 03-17-18, 01:07 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by akexpress
We carry our Calfee carbon tandem in our truck quite often . The simplest way is to get a Dakine bike pad for the tailgate and merely hang the front wheel over the back. The Dakine pad has velcro straps on the back to help secure the bike but it is actually quite stable with out it.. You can stabilize the back end of the tandem with a strap or bungee to to the stoker seat from the sides of the bed although we don't do it. We have a One Up tandem tray that works great on the roof but never tried it in the truck. Are you sure the bike will fit in with both wheels on in a 6.5 ft bed? When we rent a car when traveling we try to get a pickup and have a See Sucker vacuum fork mount that we put on the cab of the truck (either the rear window or roof) and use that. We have used that technique many times with great success . We have used that same mount system to carry two Calfee tandems on a rental van roof with strong sidewinds without issue. You should not have problems with your front brake adjustment by removing and reinstalling the front wheel. I assume you might have BB7 brakes on your tandem. Make sure your brake is centered using the self centering washers that are part of that brake and the inner adjustment is not overly tightened. We have two of the Cannondale tandems in the family and have used these techniques with them. YRMV of course
https://pull03-lpohbcpw0.netdna-ssl....X-1-dakine.jpg
Do you simply run a cable thru for security when necessary? Just seems like it may be easier for folks to see that the bike is not fastened down otherwise and easier to take.
92' Trek 5200
Old 03-17-18, 01:29 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
I have the same Tundra,6.5' bed at you do. I carry my DaVinci tandem in the truck bed routinely. I do not remove the wheels and it has traveled many secure miles that way.

The trick is to set the bike in diagonally. It fits easily and the tailgate will close. The next thing is to be able to capture and secure the front wheel. I Placed a 2x6 crosswise up front on the bed floor by the cab. The 2x6 had a U bolt bracket at the mid point that I use to attach a ratchet strap from side to side to hold it down. There a attachment loops on each side of the bed to hook on to.

Place the bike into the bed diagonally with the front wheel on top of the 2x6. Now capture the wheel with a 2x4 on each side of the wheel. Place end blocks so the wheel is captured securely. screw down the "wheel sandwich" onto the 2x6.

That's all there is to it. I leave mine in all season. Our routine is we bring the tandem up to the tailgate. I lift the front wheel onto the tailgate and set it sideways while my wife holds the back of the bike. I climb onto the truck and straighten out the wheel. My wife lifts the back of the bike and we bring it diagonally to the front wheel holder. I drop the front wheel into the 2x4 holder and close the tailgate. Done! For added security you could add a bungie cord to hold down the back wheel. I find that it's not necessary.

The best part is cost just about nothing! I've carried my tandem all over the North East that way. Hope it gives you some ideas.
Old 03-17-18, 01:37 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludkeh
I have the same Tundra,6.5' bed at you do. I carry my DaVinci tandem in the truck bed routinely. I do not remove the wheels and it has traveled many secure miles that way.

The trick is to set the bike in diagonally. It fits easily and the tailgate will close. The next thing is to be able to capture and secure the front wheel. I Placed a 2x6 crosswise up front on the bed floor by the cab. The 2x6 had a U bolt bracket at the mid point that I use to attach a ratchet strap from side to side to hold it down. There a attachment loops on each side of the bed to hook on to.

Place the bike into the bed diagonally with the front wheel on top of the 2x6. Now capture the wheel with a 2x4 on each side of the wheel. Place end blocks so the wheel is captured securely. screw down the "wheel sandwich" onto the 2x6.

That's all there is to it. I leave mine in all season. Our routine is we bring the tandem up to the tailgate. I lift the front wheel onto the tailgate and set it sideways while my wife holds the back of the bike. I climb onto the truck and straighten out the wheel. My wife lifts the back of the bike and we bring it diagonally to the front wheel holder. I drop the front wheel into the 2x4 holder and close the tailgate. Done! For added security you could add a bungie cord to hold down the back wheel. I find that it's not necessary.

The best part is cost just about nothing! I've carried my tandem all over the North East that way. Hope it gives you some ideas.
Hey Ludkeh ... thanks for the info! Although I think I can visualize the 2x's and how they are assembled, would you possibly be able to provide a pic or two? This sounds like a feasible idea. We just placed an order for a new LandShark. Love the DaVinci's also! Thanks.
92' Trek 5200
Old 03-17-18, 01:43 PM
Scraper

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm buying a pickup (5.5' bed) in May and have been thinking about the same thing. To me the simplest and easiest would be a channel the length of the wheels, with a customized ratchet strap hooked to the stakeholes on both sides. Could get a 2" square tubing and cut out small sections for the wheels/tires cheaply and easily. The thing I need to figure out is how to quickly secure to/remove the channel from the truck bed/tailgate. I want to do it without drilling/bolting to the bed.
Old 03-18-18, 07:37 AM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Take a look at this thing I built to hold our bike upright while allowing removal and installation of the front wheel with both hands:

https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cy...nventions.html

Perhaps some adaptation of this combined with tie down straps could be fashioned.
Old 03-18-18, 10:55 AM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Alcanbrad
Take a look at this thing I built to hold our bike upright while allowing removal and installation of the front wheel with both hands:

https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cy...nventions.html

Perhaps some adaptation of this combined with tie down straps could be fashioned.

Interesting Alcanbrad! I like the idea ... yes, the struggle is real isn't it!

Curious. I have the same rear wheel chock that is shown in your first photo. But, looks like you have have modified/added to it. What did you do? I recently picked up two different wheel chocks also that seem to work better using a spring loaded arm that holds the wheel better. Here CLICK and here CLICK. Both work similarly. I'm thinking of mounting one of the 3 to ply or 2x's to assist in holding bike upright in the bed of the truck.
92' Trek 5200
Old 03-18-18, 01:44 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

I will get a photo for you. Since it's still winter here I don't have the bike carrier in the truck. But I was planning on installing it this week. If you can wait, I'll shoot a few photo's to give you a visual.
Old 03-18-18, 03:17 PM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcycl
Interesting Alcanbrad! I like the idea ... yes, the struggle is real isn't it!

Curious. I have the same rear wheel chock that is shown in your first photo. But, looks like you have have modified/added to it. What did you do? I recently picked up two different wheel chocks also that seem to work better using a spring loaded arm that holds the wheel better. Here CLICK and here CLICK. Both work similarly. I'm thinking of mounting one of the 3 to ply or 2x's to assist in holding bike upright in the bed of the truck.
For the one in the picture we have a rear rack with a Hot Shot blinkie that has a nice optional rack mounting bracket, however, when I park the bike in the chock, the top of the chock crashes into the blinkie and can damage it, so I kludged a piece of plywood held on with cable ties to prevent the rear wheel from going far enough back to cause a blinkie catastrophe.

Of the two spring loaded chocks you show I have a couple of the first one. They work very well for the half bikes but I don’t feel they are stable and robust enough for the Tandem. They do work, but just barely in my opinion.

I would be leery about using the wheels to hold the bike upright without some form of secondary stabization method as the wheel integrity can be compromised, or thrown out of true, if the bike gets bounced side to side and the wheels were all that was holding it up.

We haul our Tandem in a minivan and I too have a fork mount on plywood which holds the bike vertical and stable. Along with that fugly contraption I made it is very easy to handle transporting the bike and removing and installing the front wheel.
Old 03-18-18, 03:54 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludkeh
I will get a photo for you. Since it's still winter here I don't have the bike carrier in the truck. But I was planning on installing it this week. If you can wait, I'll shoot a few photo's to give you a visual.
Great, thanks very much.
92' Trek 5200
Old 03-23-18, 03:18 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

So here are a few images of my setup. Not pretty but it works. I didn't want to drag my tandem out so I tossed in my road bike to give you an idea. My tandem fits corner to corner with the tailgate closed with a little room to spare.

I just got a new Leer raised cap for my truck so we'll see how easily this all works going forward. I think a few minor modifications are in order. I know it worked well without the cap.

Hope this helps

Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ddp44n.jpg (65.4 KB, 244 views)
2lu3ouo.jpg (90.3 KB, 237 views)
hv9qih.jpg (72.7 KB, 236 views)
Old 03-27-18, 11:58 AM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Ludkeh! I plan on devising something similar.

Current Status:
Well, I've "Created" something that works for the time being. I've taken my 0ld Yakima Raptor Aero bike holder, removed it from the old bars, attached it to an existing custom board and now have it holding the tandem corner to corner using a bike storage holder to help manage the rear of the bike (for the time being).

I'll post photos shortly in case anyone else searches the forum.

New Holder:

I purchased the 1UP Van Tray and will be using that in place of the Yakima Raptor Aero in the near future so that nothing will be holding onto the tandem's frame and rubbing it raw over time. As soon as I have that made and installed w/ the tandem attached, I'll post pics also.

Thanks!
92' Trek 5200
Old 04-11-18, 02:55 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Okay, for anyone else looking into various options .. here is what I've done:

Yakima Raptor Aero Bike Holder Photos -- And, yes, it is VERY stable and doesn't move except for a slight bit:
https://woodcycl.com/cycling/Truck%20Bed%20Mount%201.jpg
https://woodcycl.com/cycling/Truck%20Bed%20Mount%202.jpg
https://woodcycl.com/cycling/Truck%20Bed%20Mount%203.jpg
https://woodcycl.com/cycling/Truck%20Bed%20Mount%204.jpg

Here is the 1UP Van Tray .. not yet installed or setup:
https://woodcycl.com/cycling/New%20Wheel%20Mount%201.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions. I hope to have the 1Up installed as soon as we get our new tandem. I want to ensure I use the new tandem for setup and installation instead of the old one just to be on the safe side.
92' Trek 5200
Old 04-12-18, 01:52 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Nice neat setup! Looks great.
Old 07-20-18, 09:52 AM
engineerbob

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Old 07-23-18, 06:02 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Pick up truck??
Heck we can carry our custom Zona tandem inside of our Honda Fit . . .
Sure, we pop off the QR front and rear wheels and voila!
Removing wheels should NOT be a hassle. Been doing it for 40+ years!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 07-24-18, 08:37 AM
diabloridr

Bikes: Co-Motion Macchiato, Calfee Dragonfly, Ancient Sun Fixie, Trek 5900

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by engineerbob

Why not just use the existing fork mount?