Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Di2....issues...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Di2....issues...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-20, 05:13 PM
Scotty13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Di2....issues...

Hi, here's one that has me about to chuck the bike in a ditch.
I have lost synchro, it just stopped working on a ride.
So i went to the junction box and did the two quick pushes to check, and had the 3 flashes.
still nothing.
Went to the app, the app tells me all is well.
I disconnect the battery and reconnect after a few minutes.
I disconnect the junction box for a few minutes.
I then go into the laptop and hardwire the bike to the pc, do all the updates (none required), reset to defaults and then select synchro.
Upload to the bike and disconnect.
Still nothing. No semi or full synchro, just regular shifting although the software is telling me I'm in full synchro mode.
Am I missing something blindingly obvious?
I have searched the forums but cannot find a similar problem with a solution.
Thanks!
Old 02-27-20, 09:03 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
Here's a link to a Di2 tips site. https://di2center.com/
Old 02-28-20, 01:32 AM
Scotty13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Bill, I've already scoured this with no joy, back to the LBS for me I guess...
Old 02-28-20, 02:19 AM
bitpuddle

Bikes: Cinelli Nemo Tig / Battaglin Power Plus / Moots RCS

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Which mode does the e-tube software show the system is in? Do you have a Garmin or othe head unit that can read and verify the mode? It seems like the mode isn’t actually set, but it is difficult to tell from the information supplied.
Old 02-28-20, 02:40 AM
Scotty13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bitpuddle
Which mode does the e-tube software show the system is in? Do you have a Garmin or othe head unit that can read and verify the mode? It seems like the mode isn’t actually set, but it is difficult to tell from the information supplied.
Hi, thanks, yes I have a Garmin, I will set that up to read it. Just to say, the app, the laptop and the junction box all tell me its in synchro mode - I guess the Garmin will say the same as its just taking the same info that is being transmitted to the app and laptop?
Old 02-28-20, 02:57 AM
Scotty13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Bitpuddle, I set up the Garmin and switched between shifting modes M, S1, S2 and it had no effect.
Regardless of what the app, laptop, junction box and Garmin say, it is stuck in manual.
Old 02-28-20, 04:34 PM
Anna_Sazzi
Extinct

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty13
Thanks Bill, I've already scoured this with no joy, back to the LBS for me I guess...
​​​​​​​I'm sure the computer whizzes back at the LBS will have you sorted out quickly.
Old 02-28-20, 05:53 PM
Scotty13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha, yeah, dont think they saw a PC till last year...culprit was the app. I repeated disconnecting everything, avoided all bluetooth, reconnected by cable, reset everything, set defaults and started again. Sorted it.
All I can say is never use the app. I left the appropriate review in the app store. What a load of crap it is.
Old 02-28-20, 08:09 PM
bitpuddle

Bikes: Cinelli Nemo Tig / Battaglin Power Plus / Moots RCS

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I’m glad you got that sorted. I was going to ask if you were using Bluetooth. Sometimes there are issues if you don’t completely disconnect from the app (like turn off Bluetooth on the phone) where the settings changes are not saved. Using a cable is definitely ore reliable.
Old 02-28-20, 08:28 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty13
Hi Bitpuddle, I set up the Garmin and switched between shifting modes M, S1, S2 and it had no effect.
Regardless of what the app, laptop, junction box and Garmin say, it is stuck in manual.
When you wiped the profiles and started fresh...did you reprogram the synchro modes?
Old 02-28-20, 09:48 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Glad you got it back to working again. I've been relying on the app on my iPhone because the only PC I have is an 11 year old laptop that runs Vista. Unfortunately, the version of etube that supports 8050 won't run on Vista. Everything I read says the app is wonky and definitely don't use it to upgrade firmware. I've been thinking about picking up a cheap laptop to use for etube and your issues have pushed me to do go ahead and order it.
Old 02-29-20, 03:23 AM
Scotty13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by August West
Glad you got it back to working again. I've been relying on the app on my iPhone because the only PC I have is an 11 year old laptop that runs Vista. Unfortunately, the version of etube that supports 8050 won't run on Vista. Everything I read says the app is wonky and definitely don't use it to upgrade firmware. I've been thinking about picking up a cheap laptop to use for etube and your issues have pushed me to do go ahead and order it.
Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, there seem to be a lot of issues with the app looking at other forums. I think my mistake and then confusion was not switching bluetooth off on the phone, this initially bricked the system, I removed my garmin and garmin watch but kept the phone with me. Not sure why then I got manual working and not the other modes and not sure whether it was disconnecting the battery and junction box that solved it or the hardwire but I won't be using the app again!
Old 02-29-20, 03:29 AM
Scotty13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I did that Marcus, I'll admit I was doing it blind - I just couldnt figure the problem so I decided to treat it like a new set up. I even deleted and reinstalled then E tube program on the PC and deleted and reinstalled the app. So I cant say what the problem was but as bitpuddle suggests it was likely the bluetooth issue.
Old 02-29-20, 03:35 AM
Scotty13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi August, I had to do exactly that. I initially was using a Windows 7 laptop that was a decade old and previously my daughters. I had to hack her password using a clever youtube post and then it only worked the once with E tube!
I found a refurb Acer with windows 10 (my wife needed an email/browser laptop anyway so that was the excuse to her!).
I use a chromebook which as you probably know is no good, the only other things lying around is an ipad.
Its not easy having di2, and I'm not sure its that much of a leap anyway....but that's another debate!
Old 03-02-20, 05:35 AM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Good to hear you got it fixed! I wonder if somehow the bike changed all shifting modes to 'manual'.
And yeah, closing the app without disconnecting bluetooth will leave the bike in Bluetooth mode until you start the app and properly close the connection.. unfortunately