Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Air pump pet peave

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Air pump pet peave

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-20, 10:01 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Air pump pet peave

I put adapters on my presta valves and pump with a schraeder head floor pump. Then when I release the lever on the pump head and pull the head of the adapter, air leaks out before the pump head fully disengages. Seems every pump iv'e tried does this. Aggravating! I use the pump for auto and tractor tires, and it seems silly switching the head from presta to schraeder and back over and over. Just saying...
Old 03-18-20, 10:18 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Yes. And it always will. Each pump stroke, you compress the air in the pump and the hose. Most of that air goes through the presta valve but some stays behind n the hose. When you stop pumping, you have roughly equal pressure in the tire and hose and it doesn't matter if the presta valve is open or closed but as soon as you detach the hose, the valve instantly closes - no air loss in the tube - and all the compressed air in the hose is now free to leave which it promptly does. Now you could place a second presta valve in the hose before the chuck and keep the compressed air in the pump until you top off next week.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-18-20, 10:23 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
I think it has been pretty well established that most all the escaping air you hear is from the pump hose. My 30+ yr old Nashbar floor pump has been working that way since I got it. It has a duel valve on the hose to serve both presta and Schrader.
Old 03-18-20, 10:25 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
I feel your pain. Maybe find another pump with a presta chuck and use that? Or get one of these two-way heads, sold by Panet Bike and Park:

Sorry for the oversized picture. I have one of these on a 1970's Rampar/Medai pump, works fine, $6. But I'd rather have two pumps, one in each flavor. I have a Hirame chuck on my Presta pump, it's supreme.
Old 03-18-20, 10:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts

move on w/ your life. just sayin'
Old 03-18-20, 12:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
You use a floor pump for tractor tires? Geezus, how long do you have to pump to inflate them? Or are you talking about a powered air compressor?

I'd consider getting a chuck that has both presta and shrader ports on it. Or a quick connect on the end of the hose and have one of each type chucks if you don't like the combo chucks.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-19-20, 08:20 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You use a floor pump for tractor tires?
First thought of mine as well. I can see using a floor pump if you only need to top up the pressure (1-2 psi) but any more than that it's way too much of a workout. Yesterday, I used my floor pump to make up about 5 psi in my 8" boat trailer tires and it took a long time.

I have a pump head that is reversible. I just unscrew the business end, flip it, and screw it back in. It takes less than 5 seconds. Seems easier to me than using adapters. You have to unscrew each adapter to untighten each Presta valve and then remove again to retighten. That's what I would call aggravating.

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 03-19-20 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-19-20, 09:53 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Floor pump for tractor tires

Yes, my John Deere 130 front tires, which are quite small, need topping off to 9 psi due to slow leaks. Not worth the noise of starting the compressor when a dozen pump strokes does the job.

Good idea that leakage may be mostly from pump hose. I had assumed it was from tire valve. Now i won't get peaved when it happens. Glad i started the thread.

I was just about to order a Jaco presta valve chuck a couple months back, but found they were discontinued/ no longer available. None of the other presta chucks I've looked at impress me; I refuse to pay $30 for one that gets lukewarm ratings from users. I'd rather just screw on the adapters and use the floor pump.

My pump head reverses, but it takes way more than 5 sec. First I have to find my reading glasses... Quicker for me to screw on the adapters, though a bit aggravating

Last edited by Chuckles1; 03-19-20 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-19-20, 11:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
... Quicker for me to screw on the adapters, though a bit aggravating
My previous floor pump had just a schrader chuck but had a adapter clipped onto it that you had to screw onto the presta valve. When I got a bike that used presta valves I realized how terrible that solution was. I went out and bought another ten dollar floor pump that had a chuck which you unscrewed, flipped and screwed back in. Maybe similar to the one that agravates you. However I now have two floor pumps, one for presta and one for schrader. My total lifetime investment in them so far can't be more than fifteen dollars between the two and that includes getting a replacement hose and chuck for the newer one.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-19-20, 12:20 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
{QUOTE=Chuckles1;21374041]Yes, my John Deere 130 front tires, which are quite small, need topping off to 9 psi due to slow leaks. Not worth the noise of starting the compressor when a dozen pump strokes does the job.

Good idea that leakage may be mostly from pump hose. I had assumed it was from tire valve. Now i won't get peaved when it happens. Glad i started the thread.

I was just about to order a Jaco presta valve chuck a couple months back, but found they were discontinued/ no longer available. None of the other presta chucks I've looked at impress me; I refuse to pay $30 for one that gets lukewarm ratings from users. I'd rather just screw on the adapters and use the floor pump.

My pump head reverses, but it takes way more than 5 sec. First I have to find my reading glasses... Quicker for me to screw on the adapters, though a bit aggravating[/QUOTE]

Consider making an adopter consisting of a Presta chuck and the Presta to Shraeder you already have. Then you can just slip the chuck on, couple the pump to the fitting like you already do and pump. Pull chuck off and go. Back in some long lost century we used to carry homemade "Damsel in distress" adopters so we could help (usually and hopefully) women with tire issues riding Shraeder valved bikes with our Presta only frame pumps. I haven't made one in decades and don't remember what I used. The Zephal HPX pumps made the devices obsolete.

I don't know if this trick came from Sheldon Brown but I heard it from our shop mechanic. Sheldon used to come over after hours and hang. I learned a lot from the two. (This was long, long before Sheldon was famous.)

Ben
Old 03-20-20, 07:22 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Olefeller77
I think it has been pretty well established that most all the escaping air you hear is from the pump hose. My 30+ yr old Nashbar floor pump has been working that way since I got it. It has a duel valve on the hose to serve both presta and Schrader.
While that could be true for a “normal” Presta valve and chuck, I’m reading that Chuckles1 is using an adapter like the red part on the valve cover in this picture

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

with a regular Schrader pump chuck. That kind of pump chuck has a pin to hold the valve open which it would also do with the adapter. It defeats the check valve nature of the Presta valve so leakage would come from the tube.

Chuckles1: The best way to use your pump would be to get a different adapter. Not a different chuck head but a different adapter. The SKS pump head adaptor is relatively cheap and easy to use.

Just slide it onto the valve and attach the head. Easy peasy.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: