Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Back on the the bike after 2 years

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-20, 09:12 PM
Digger6255

Bikes: CAAD13 Disc, Ridley Fenix, Electra Lux 7D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Life got in the way the last 2 years so I didn't do any road riding. I did use my Wahoo Kicker but that's about it. My bike is a 2015 Ridley Fenix with full Ultegra 6800 groupset. It did not have full 6800 when I got it but it did soon after in mid 2016. I had just put Conti GP 4000 tires on it when I parked it late 2017 but I am concerned about them sitting all this time. Should I go ahead and do new tires/ tubes?
Old 03-21-20, 10:05 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
It's only been 3 years, your tires are fine as long as they were not left out in the elements. Taken care of, tires will last 30+ years.
Old 03-22-20, 10:45 AM
Digger6255

Originally Posted by katsup
It's only been 3 years, your tires are fine as long as they were not left out in the elements. Taken care of, tires will last 30+ years.
Ever heard of dry rot? I would not drive or ride anything with 30 year old tires. I just spent $4000 on motorhome tires even though they looked great, but it is generally known that you have to replace every 7 years no matter what. I don't know what the shelf life is for road bike tires so I asked the question. If I had been riding regularly during that time I would have put new tires on at least once probably twice due to normal wear.
Old 03-22-20, 11:07 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger6255
Ever heard of dry rot? I would not drive or ride anything with 30 year old tires. I just spent $4000 on motorhome tires even though they looked great, but it is generally known that you have to replace every 7 years no matter what. I don't know what the shelf life is for road bike tires so I asked the question. If I had been riding regularly during that time I would have put new tires on at least once probably twice due to normal wear.
Bad comparison, motor home tires sit outside in the elements with a lot of weight on them. Bike tires typically are in garages on hooks. In Southern California, bike tires stored inside can last a long time. Motor home tires in sunlight, a lot less.

It sounds like you want an excuse to buy some bike tires, if that's the case, go ahead.

Last edited by katsup; 03-22-20 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-22-20, 01:48 PM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Personally for 2 year old tires you should be fine, if you do a google search it recommends changing your car tires every 6 years regardless of how worn they are because they tend to loose their effective grip. I had a set of tires on my bicycle so long they started to crack and they still had very effective grip at high speed so with bicycle tires. The internet states about 20 years on bicycle tires.

Unless there are any cracks I would perhaps not ride them too hard for the first mile or so and they should be fine. But for peace of mind you might want to get a new set. If you won't feel safe on the tires no matter how good they really are then that's not going to be any fun for you.

Although on the flip side of buying new tires you may need to bed in your new tires so you'll have to factor that in. What do I mean? Depending on what you buy there may be some residue from the creation of the tire as well as those pesky little 'beads or nodules' that are left on the tire that can make cornering a bit sketchy / dangerous. Some tires need this bed in, others don't.
Likes For JayKay3000:
Old 03-22-20, 06:45 PM
Digger6255

Originally Posted by JayKay3000
Personally for 2 year old tires you should be fine, if you do a google search it recommends changing your car tires every 6 years regardless of how worn they are because they tend to loose their effective grip. I had a set of tires on my bicycle so long they started to crack and they still had very effective grip at high speed so with bicycle tires. The internet states about 20 years on bicycle tires.

Unless there are any cracks I would perhaps not ride them too hard for the first mile or so and they should be fine. But for peace of mind you might want to get a new set. If you won't feel safe on the tires no matter how good they really are then that's not going to be any fun for you.

Although on the flip side of buying new tires you may need to bed in your new tires so you'll have to factor that in. What do I mean? Depending on what you buy there may be some residue from the creation of the tire as well as those pesky little 'beads or nodules' that are left on the tire that can make cornering a bit sketchy / dangerous. Some tires need this bed in, others don't.
Thanks, I went for a short 5 mile ride today on and the tires seemed fine. While I have been still working out at the gym, I am not in cycling shape so probably no long rides while I get used to being on the bike again. When I start getting back to longer rides, I will go ahead with new rubber. I do carry a multi tool, spare tube and CO2 so I'll be ok.
Old 03-23-20, 07:06 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Your tires will be fine, you might want to replace the tubes - the area around the valves seems to decay over time and I've had kids/my wife's unused bikes go flat there.
Old 03-23-20, 07:17 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Dry rot is caused by ozone poisoning. If the bike/tires were kept indoors and away from direct sun, they'll be fine after 3 years. Heck, one of my bikes has 12-year-old tires that look and ride like brand new.
Old 03-23-20, 08:45 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Life got in the way the last 2 years so I didn't do any road riding. I did use my Wahoo Kicker but that's about it. My bike is a 2015 Ridley Fenix with full Ultegra 6800 groupset. It did not have full 6800 when I got it but it did soon after in mid 2016. I had just put Conti GP 4000 tires on it when I parked it late 2017 but I am concerned about them sitting all this time. Should I go ahead and do new tires/ tubes?
Unless there are visible signs of deterioration, I think you'll do just fine.