Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Your Gym Workout

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-09, 08:22 AM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Your Gym Workout

Mrs. Zoxe and I are going to go sign up at a local gym this weekend to keep us active during the winter months.

This time last year, I was generally been against this due to the cost and inconvenience, but just spent a week in Gatlinburg at the father-in-law's time share and had access to a well stocked gym.

I feel like my cardio and legs are doing well with our biking (and want to maintain that) but also want to tighten up everything from the waist up. Watching myself in the mirror this week, I realized I was becoming chickenleg man ... well defined calf muscles on slim legs while my gut and man boobs tell a different story.

My plan right now is to be at the gym for an hour or so, with 30 minutes of cardio and then hit a weight machine for the rest, but would like to establish a routine early on so I'm just not screwing around.

So my question to the gym-going Clydes out there, what is your typical workout?
Old 10-24-09, 09:43 AM
truss

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you need to figure out what you want to do first. just loose and tighten or add mass or maybe even a bit of both? honestly you should never really be lifting for more then about a hour. when i was hard at it i would spent 45 minutes to 1 hour in the gym 5 days a week and 2 off. i would normally go
monday chest
tues back abs
wed legs
thurs shoulders abs
friday arms
gain mass and power you want less reps(3 to 6) more weight and to lose you want to go higher reps(12 to 16) less weight. hope this helps some
Old 10-24-09, 10:17 AM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
This

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...t-workout.html

But start with a beginner exercise from that site if you have not lifted before.

Glenn
Old 10-24-09, 12:51 PM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
You will get a thousand answers and mine will be different than everyones. Mine is as such, keep in mind I just started gym again after the summer off and this is my starting plan, plus I like the gym and tend too spend a lot of time there. I am a self confessed gym rat and have to remind myself too stay away from heavy weights as I bulk up real fast so all the weight is geared towards comfotable weights. Will likely start doing power lifting stuff in a few months too really get fat burner going.
First do some stretching, you will find a stretch chart somewhere in the gym.
Second, cardio for 30 minutes, my gym has a track so I use it 11 laps = 1 mile, I do as many laps as I can in that time but it usually goes like this, walk two jog 11, walk two jog 11........
Third, do 3 different ab exercises for 3 sets or 12-15, then arms one tri one bi's for 2 sets of 10-12, then chest for 2 sets of 10-12, shoulders 2 sets of 10-12, then back for 2 sets of 10-12, then legs for 2 sets of 10-12.
I then walk two more laps then some mild stretching, then time to hit the pool for 10-20 laps, then off too jaccuzie, shower, shave and done.
Old 10-24-09, 01:26 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I used to hit the weights once a week at the gym and was sore all the time.

Now, I usually just swim. I was a competitive swimmer in college and also returned to the sport in my 30's swimming Masters; so I get a pretty worthwhile workout 2000-4000 yards. I make sure I do some butterfly and also some dolphin kicking on my back. They help maintain upper body and core strength as well as ensure a good cardio workout. The pool can be a terrific complimentary workout when a bike ride isn't gonna happen.
Old 10-24-09, 07:59 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You should be able to set up a session with a trainer. Sit down with him/her, tell him/her what you want to accomplish, then let him/her guide you through the best selection of machines and free weights to accomplish your goals.
Old 10-25-09, 05:37 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My suggestion is to save the cardio until after the weight training. I personally workout 2-3 days a week for a hour to a hour 15 minutes at most with no cardio. I follow a High Intensity Training program (Arthur Jones/Mike Mentzer) as well as Positions of Flexion (Steve Holman) although I may incorporate other programs or techniques as I see fit.

Day 1: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, some Abs, Calves or Quads
Day 2: Back, Biceps, Calves or Quads
Day 3: Repeat 1 or 2 if I go to the gym

I tend to do 2-3 excercise's per body part for 3-4 sets (includes warmup) for 6-12 reps. I tend to get my cardio from commuting (pretty much all year) or walking from place to place.

When you go to the gym you may want to invest in a personal trainer for a few weeks or so. They should help you decide on your goals, explain and help feel the muscles working, explain the machines, and may help clean up your diet.
Old 10-25-09, 08:09 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Condorita
You should be able to set up a session with a trainer. Sit down with him/her, tell him/her what you want to accomplish, then let him/her guide you through the best selection of machines and free weights to accomplish your goals.
And expect a BIG sales pitch at the end. For the average person, the personal training racket is an unneeded expense. I agree it's best for a novice to get guidance and to learn how to use the machines, but keep your wallet in your pocket beyond that.

Old 10-25-09, 08:18 PM
Neil_B

In my case my gym routine is for building some upper body strength and keeping the small supporting muscles in my back and shoulders limber. It helps get rid of some of my scoliosis slouch. Also, I do some core exercises and stretches so I can ride further and stronger.

I'm under a lot of restrictions, so I'll pass on posting a list of exercises. Let's just say I'm amazed at what a man can still do while being prevented from carrying weight above his head or squatting.

Old 10-26-09, 09:04 AM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, Neil, I did say a session!! That first meeting with a trainer should be a part of the gym membership, even if the membership, like mine, is a basic month-to-month one.
Old 10-26-09, 09:20 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by Condorita
Well, Neil, I did say a session!! That first meeting with a trainer should be a part of the gym membership, even if the membership, like mine, is a basic month-to-month one.
I agree. But the sales pitch follows closely after, and is often very strong.

Old 10-26-09, 10:32 AM
leamcorp

Bikes: Fuji Team Trek FX Bianchi MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never ever do a stretching session to start. The muscle needs to be warmed up before you do any type of stretching session.
Old 10-26-09, 02:59 PM
Pinyon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would go to a few gyms and try them out, first. See which one you like and fits your needs best. Some people like dark and musty places mostly outfitted with old iron free-weights and benches, others like places with dozens of cardio machines and LARGE theaters for group fitness, some like to work out alone, some like a more social atmosphere, etc.

I prefer gyms that have at least a few trainers that are medically prescribed by sports doctors and physical therapists. Those trainers usually also work in a medical or physical therapy office, and a large number of their clients at the gym are former clients that want someone that can help them do things like run marathons, ride lots of century bike rides each year, etc. Those gyms tend to be cleaner, have equipment that is in better repair, and don't have that "singles bar while you work out" atmosphere.

Be careful of the sales pitch in some places. Even a good gym needs pure sales people to stay in business, and they are skilled at getting people to pay for things that they don't need or want.
Old 10-26-09, 10:41 PM
Bikeforumuser0022

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO gyms are a complete waste of time unless you're a bodybuilder or powerlifter seeking serious results and plan to be in a harcore gym moving heavy iron two hours a day. If that's you, more power to you. Check out T-Nation and have a nice day.

Most folks at gyms stand around talking -- just like folks at the pool when I 'm trying to swim laps.

Most I've seen " working out" at gyms have no clue what they're doing. They're too damn cheap to pay for GOOD advice. And simply being employed as a trainer does not qualify as good.

You can do more for your figure and health at home with bodyweight exercises and kettlebells.

Two examples...

Use lag bolts and pipe clamps to mount a pipe to the underside of your floor joists. Every time you go to the basement, attempt a pull-up. Before you know it you'll be doing multiple reps.

Forget traditional squats and do pistols, which are one legged squats.

Check out Ross Enamait and Steve Cotter.

It's all about persistence, which requires discipline. A gym membership is no substitute for discipline.
Old 10-27-09, 11:05 PM
cantdrv55

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
push ups, sit ups and spinning classes