Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why not a semi-recumbent tandem?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-11, 04:17 PM
BikerBabeJan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been cycling for years and my husband doesn't have as much speed or interest that I do. This is a reverse from the norm, but the idea is the same: maybe a tandem can help us share the sport. I am 8 inches shorter and 70 pounds lighter. Trying it, I trusted his piloting. But I did not enjoy looking forward at his broad back. From what little I have read about semi-recumbent tandems, there wasn't anything bad written in the forums. But yet it seems to be a scarce bird on the road or in print. Does anyone have knowledge as to why it has not gotten popular or why not to buy one (if one can be found)?
Old 07-17-11, 04:24 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&xhr=t&q...w=1145&bih=578

Old 07-17-11, 04:49 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
As been discussed several times, there is the Bilenky (US) and Hase (Germany) semi/bent tandems, both a bit pricey when-new + knock-offs built off-shore; but yes they are a bit rare especially in the used market.
Have ridden in both stoker and then the pilot position about 20 years ago. A very clever and do-able design but not our cup-a-tea.
It would assure you, as stoker, of an uninterupted forward view in the semi-reclined position and as a bonus, your husband/pilot in the rear could whisper sweet nothings in your ear!
The tandem market is a bit of niche market (1 to 2%) as it is, and semi/bent tandem is a very tiny sub-catogory of that tandem market.
Hope you find what you're looking for!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy anbd Kay/zonatandem
Old 07-17-11, 11:40 PM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
We seriously considered buying a Hase Pino semi-recumbent tandem when getting our tandem a few years ago. The thing that really bothered me was how upright the rear position was. We're both used to riding standard road bikes, and just couldn't imagine one of us sitting that upright for very long - it would probably lead to more butt pain on longer rides even though it would be comfortable for short jaunts. I'm not sure if the Bilenky version is very different in this respect.

We also ride over a lot of mountain passes (the Swiss and French Alps are on our doorstep), and I know climbing is not something that standard recumbents do very well, possibly due to not being able to put body weight into the pedal stroke very easily, although I don't really know. I assumed that the same would be the case for the recumbent position on the tandem, but I'd be happy for someone with more info to correct me on this.

We ended up going with a traditional style tandem (Co-Motion Speedster) and have not once regretted our decision. We got it with couplers so that it can go inside airline-sized suitcases, and have used this feature several times already. I know the Hase Pino only splits in the middle, so does not become very small, again I'm not sure if this is different with the Bilenky, and it may not be an important factor for you.

We're similar heights and sizes, so stoker vision was not a big factor for us, but I can see that in your situation a semi-recumbent might make a lot of sense.
Old 06-10-17, 07:46 PM
tandembethesda

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recumbent Tandem

I own a Trek T900 that we both enjoy but we test road a Hasse Pino and we both really enjoyed it. My wife said the view is much better.

At $5000, the price is more than I want to pay. I found a knock off online

Performer Family Tandem - RBR Recumbent Bike Riders Inc

But the components and seat angle do no appeal to me.

As an engineer and long time bike rider, I have this urge to develop my own design. I realize the tandem market is very small and even smaller for a semi-recumbent, but the idea really entices me. I travel to China often and know some bike fabricators.

Does anyone have any experience riding any of these bikes? I am looking for ideas on the weaknesses of the existing designs.

I found these comment on the Pino

Hase Pino Tandem: Info from Long-Distance Tourers - CyclingAbout

My wife says she would prefer having her pedals being lower and to have a roll down handlebar (kind of like a bar on an amusement ride)
Old 06-10-17, 08:00 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
This Zombie Thread has been asleep for six years and the OP is long gone from BF.
Have never seen a semi-recumbent tandem in real life.
We are happy with our recumbent tandem and most teams we know are happy with their upright tandems.
Old 07-12-17, 09:00 PM
billinrockhill

Bikes: Klein Aura X, Chinook (an early 80's Bruce Gordon production bike), Miyata Duplicross, Cannondale Road Tandem; Cannondale Lefty f/s mountain bike; Surly Crosscheck

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a Bilenky Viewpoint being built. Will report in due course. Just to make things more interesting I am considering equipping the thing with electric assist of one kind or another.
Old 11-02-17, 10:43 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
We have been riding a Hase Pino for almost 4 years now and have flown with it to Alaska and Oregon for extended journeys. It's definitely not as fast as our single rides but we stay together (whether we want to or not!) and have found it to be a good fit for our riding and relationship. Both riders have excellent forward views on the Pino. The ability of the stoker in the forward position to pedal or not pedal allows riders with limited strength or endurance to ride. My partner has conducted conference calls while out on a ride, using her tablet computer and talking on the phone. That's not possible on most other tandems. I'd rather she not have to work on a ride but it's allowed us to make some rides her schedule would not otherwise permit.

It is expensive but really not a lot more than other high quality tandems. I still marvel that we spent so much money on a bicycle but it has brought us a great deal of pleasure and I'd buy a Pino again without hesitation.

We purchased ours from Mt. Airy Bikes in Mt. Airy, MD. The proprietor, Larry Black, has extensive experience with his personal Pino and allowed us to make extended test rides prior to our purchase. While his shop is not particularly convenient for us, he did provide a level of service that was useful. Mt. Airy Bikes is a great shop and stocks the different and unusual. It's not a bargain shop, but it stocks bikes and equipment you won't find elsewhere.
Old 11-07-17, 06:04 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Larry is a great/good tandem guy!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 11-12-17, 09:59 PM
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works E-5, Davinci joint venture , CoMotion Pangea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
We had a couple from Europe ride through on a near 1000 mile tour, with two Hase, taking advantage of the front position for their, then, young children. They felt the kids could fall asleep and not fall off the bike. They were very pleased with the arrangement.
R&J
Old 11-26-17, 03:53 PM
billinrockhill

Bikes: Klein Aura X, Chinook (an early 80's Bruce Gordon production bike), Miyata Duplicross, Cannondale Road Tandem; Cannondale Lefty f/s mountain bike; Surly Crosscheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The discussions above make me even more eager to get going on the Bilenky Viewpoint with my wife. I expect delivery in late December. Will advise, and with pictures (once I figure out how to upload them.)
Old 11-29-17, 07:10 PM
chrmynster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I had ~5k for a bike, a Bilenky or a Hase Pino would also be extremely attractive to me. My gf likes taking photos, and I'm guessing she would enjoy the front seat a lot more, especially when taking into account the fact that she wouldn't always have to pedal.
Old 04-24-18, 08:25 PM
Dms4114

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is your new Viewpoint?

Originally Posted by billinrockhill
We have a Bilenky Viewpoint being built. Will report in due course. Just to make things more interesting I am considering equipping the thing with electric assist of one kind or another.
How are you liking yours? My wife and I are seriously considering one, and there are not many reviews of them out there.

Thanks
Old 04-25-18, 01:49 PM
billinrockhill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately my wife's health has been sketchy (plus there have been delays in production) so I have moved our order to the back of the line to await developments. I hope she gets better and wants to ride so we get to try it out and I can then report.
Old 04-30-18, 06:57 AM
Dms4114

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billinrockhill
Unfortunately my wife's health has been sketchy (plus there have been delays in production) so I have moved our order to the back of the line to await developments. I hope she gets better and wants to ride so we get to try it out and I can then report.
I’m sorry to hear that. I hope things get better, quickly.

My my wife and I went to Seattle over the weekend to test ride one, loved it, fit perfectly and decided buying used meant we didn’t have to wait 12-18 months to get one made for us.

It it is snowing/raining today, but we shall reassemble it tonight and once the roads are clear begin accumulating miles and opinions on the viewpoint.

All the best