Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheel..what's the big deal

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-24-15, 09:02 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

It seems like wheels are constantly a recommendation for upgrades. I am curious why. What does one get out of a more expensive set? I have never strayed from stock wheels on my road and mtbs. My current roan bike was parted out completely by me. It is a Colnago that I put Campy Sciroccos on. What does a more expensive wheel do for me? I am not a racer or a weight weenie but I am competitive and curious why wheel upgrades are deemed so vital.
Old 03-24-15, 09:24 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
Borrow or rent a set of high end wheels for a ride and see if you can answer that question yourself.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 03-24-15, 09:30 PM
Bunyanderman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A standard wheelset can be upwards of 2kg and not very aerodynamic. An aero wheelset can add the equivalent of 10-20w of power while at 20+ mph. You can buy wheelsets all over the board, an expensive wheelset is most likey very stiff, aerodynamic, and very light. Cheaper wheelsets will most likely only be 2 of the 3.

Many say they can feel a huge difference between accelerating and climbing with lighter wheelsets, not much science behind it but science isn't everything. With some money you can build sub 900g wheelsets easily, or some are sub 600g at the extremes. Cheaply you can get a sub 1100g wheelset from china, about $300.
Old 03-25-15, 06:00 AM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
I got my bike almost a pound lighter by buying a set of Vuelta Corsa lites to replace the stock ones. It sure seems to climb easier up hills too.
Old 03-25-15, 06:16 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have never recommended changing wheels just to be changing wheels....
I have recommended that to newbies who were very large, very heavy....
it is also one common recommendation when newbies want to talk about the most return on their money for improving their speed, it comes second to working on the motor.
If they want to improve comfort, I usually suggest just going to the largest tire their bike will accept and lowering the air pressure a bit before they spend a chunk of change.
Old 03-25-15, 06:18 AM
Shuffleman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank72
I got my bike almost a pound lighter by buying a set of Vuelta Corsa lites to replace the stock ones. It sure seems to climb easier up hills too.
I get that they are lighter. I live in Florida though, so climbing is never a concern. I ride Campy Sciroccos, how much would I have to spend to see a real difference?
Old 03-25-15, 06:59 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuffleman
It seems like wheels are constantly a recommendation for upgrades. I am curious why. What does one get out of a more expensive set?

Women. Lots and lots of women.

Ain't no "10's" chasing after you and your stock wheels. Slap on some high end carbon and you won't be able to swing a dead cat without hitting a hot chick.
Old 03-25-15, 12:03 PM
Smokinbbl

Bikes: SuperSix

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I had a pretty good wheel set on my Super six, S240 hubs, DT Swiss Comp double butted spokes with Stans Alpha 340 hoops. They are light, I think around 1340 grams. I ran them tubeless. Two weeks ago I found the drive side rear spokes pulling through the rim. So I removed them and a couple days later I found a great deal on a new set of Fulcrum Racing Zero's. They are 1440 grams, bladed spokes, and have ceramic bearings.

My old wheels are 24/28 spoke so I thought they where stiff, and I thought they spun up well, and climbed well, until I road the Fulcrums....

OMG! they feel awesome. I am sure that some of it was me just pushing harder, but on the first ride I got PR's on 9 of 13 segments, and on the climbs, all where PR's. one climb took me 14 min and 45 seconds. I beat my old time by 2:30 seconds. That can't be all in my head.

Another thing I noticed is on flat ground, I can maintain higher speed easily. My old wheels I felt I was constantly trying to bring the wheel up to speed were as these wheels, I feel that once I am up to speed all I need to do is maintain. Hope that make since...kinda like a small breeze is behind me at all times. I also have a set of Fulcrum racing 7's, and while they are stiff, they are nothing like the Fulcrum Zero's.

Do I think the Fulcrums are worth the $1200 MSRP? I am not sure, but I got them for $690 and I believe they are worth every penny!

Jimmy
Old 03-25-15, 12:18 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuffleman
I get that they are lighter. I live in Florida though, so climbing is never a concern. I ride Campy Sciroccos, how much would I have to spend to see a real difference?
I don't know about the cost nor what speeds you ride generally, but in Florida you would probably see a difference with a set of stiff aero wheels.
Old 03-25-15, 12:30 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thump55
Women. Lots and lots of women.

Ain't no "10's" chasing after you and your stock wheels. Slap on some high end carbon and you won't be able to swing a dead cat without hitting a hot chick.
This, but be careful, the dead cat might also hit some gold diggers too.
Old 03-25-15, 06:17 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank72
Same here. The difference is noticeable, especially under acceleration and hillclimbs.
Old 03-26-15, 01:21 AM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
All I will say is that nothing changes the characteristics of a bike very quickly as great wheels. I currently have eight wheelsets, and I can tell you each of those wheelset have different effect on my rides.

Yeah, a great wheelset can make for great fun on a road bicycle. I don't have similar experience on a mountain bike, as I only have the wheelset that came stock with my mountain bike.

Great road wheelsets that are stiff, aero and have great rolling hubs are the cat's meow!
Old 03-27-15, 08:21 AM
Shuffleman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19
All I will say is that nothing changes the characteristics of a bike very quickly as great wheels. I currently have eight wheelsets, and I can tell you each of those wheelset have different effect on my rides.

Yeah, a great wheelset can make for great fun on a road bicycle. I don't have similar experience on a mountain bike, as I only have the wheelset that came stock with my mountain bike.

Great road wheelsets that are stiff, aero and have great rolling hubs are the cat's meow!
I have never changed out the wheelset on any bike that I have owned. My current road bike I parted out myself and built it. I spent more on the frame what I had intended so to stay under budget my wheels took the hit. I went with the Campy Sciroccos instead of the Campy Zonda.
I love my bike and the way it rides so I have not entertained the idea of changing anything out until recently. If I thought that the wheels could make it more comfortable, I may try that but it would have to really wow me. I may try to borrow somebody's just to see.
Old 03-27-15, 08:52 AM
dave1442397

Bikes: 2014 Boardman SLS 9.4 Di2, 2011 CAAD 10 4

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you really want some expensive wheels... Japan's Kondo Brothers Invent $7,900 Bike Wheels - Bloomberg Business
Old 03-27-15, 09:03 AM
tekhna

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campy Sciroccos are much better stock wheels than you'd find on most bikes. You're fine.