Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Recommendation request for a trainer

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-13, 05:49 PM
Slow Roper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wife and I are looking to purchase a trainer for our bikes. We are considering a CycleOps hydraulic model that retails around $300 give or take. What is the consensus on this brand / model?

If there is something better we should look at, please let me know. I am searching the net for info, but separating the truth from the hype isn't easy.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-13, 07:50 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
You'll find plenty of recommendations for the KK trainer. Similar price to cyclops, less likely (impossible) to leak fluid. Probably a wash between the two.
Old 01-15-13, 08:14 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
KK is Kurt Kinetic? That's the one that lets you rock side to side? I think that's cool! I'd really like to try one, but my older Cycleops fluid trainer is still going fine.
Old 01-15-13, 08:50 PM
anotherbrian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
KK is Kurt Kinetic? That's the one that lets you rock side to side? I think that's cool! I'd really like to try one, but my older Cycleops fluid trainer is still going fine.
Base model of the Kurt Kinetic is fixed (Road Machine?). The "Rock and Roll" is the one that can move and is ~$200 more.

I've been very pleased with the Road Machine I've had for 2+ years (rode it > 2k miles last winter/spring). I have an old full suspension MTB mounted to it (with drop bars and the same positioning as my road bike), and the squishiness of the half-inflated shocks makes it flexy feeling, kind of as I'd expect the Rock and Roll to be.
Old 01-15-13, 09:14 PM
Slow Roper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the replies so far. I will look at the KK and CycleOps to compare.
Old 01-16-13, 10:26 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Another KK Road Machine recommendation.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-16-13, 11:50 AM
ks1g
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For general use, I'd look at ease of mounting/removing bikes, reputation for not leaking, general ease of use. Cycleops is IMO one of the better brands. KK's fame is the unit's power-speed curve is sufficiently stable to make it usable for power-based training. For most of us, that's more of a nice-to-have than must have (but quite nice). DC Rainmaker has some trainer reviews on his blog https://www.dcrainmaker.com
Old 01-16-13, 02:56 PM
anotherbrian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ks1g
For general use, I'd look at ease of mounting/removing bikes, reputation for not leaking, general ease of use. Cycleops is IMO one of the better brands. KK's fame is the unit's power-speed curve is sufficiently stable to make it usable for power-based training. For most of us, that's more of a nice-to-have than must have (but quite nice). DC Rainmaker has some trainer reviews on his blog https://www.dcrainmaker.com
I thought the impossibility of leaking was one of the KK selling points. Rather than use a shaft (which requires a seal, and has the potential of leaking from use) between the wheel roller and whatever moves in the fluid, the KK used magnets to transmit the force.

* I never tried a Cyclops fluid trainer before buying my KK, though did try (and returned) a Cyclops magnetic unit. The Cyclops seemed very well built, but not being able to adjust the resistance from the bike was too much of a hassle. I think both brands had lifetime warranties, so probably either is a safe bet if you don't mind a warranty hassle.
Old 01-16-13, 03:05 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We have two Cycleops in the garage, a fluid2 that I use and a magneto that Mrs. Fred uses. We have developed a vibration in both units. Mrs. Fred found hers intolerable and the local distributor replaced the resistance unit, no questions asked. Mine only vibrates within a certain speed range, which I'm typically training above, so, I've just gotten along with it.

When was the last time someone actually had a current model Fluid2 leak? To the best of my knowledge this was a problem with earlier models that has long since been rectified.

The Kurt Kinetic road machine is very similiar, with the addition of the magnetic coupling and fully sealed resistance housing.

If I had the opportunity to try one firtst, I would consider the Rock and Roll.
Old 01-17-13, 06:18 AM
Jamesw2

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been using a trainer called one up https://www.1upusa.com/
https://www.1upusa.com/product-trainer.html
Old 01-17-13, 02:06 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12191 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kurt-Kinetic...item27cedd2044
Old 01-17-13, 02:10 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
I've been using a CycleOps Fluid2 since 2006. Still going strong, reasonably quiet, no vibration, realistic resistance.

There may be equally good trainers out there, but I couldn't be more pleased with my choice. FWIW.

Old 01-24-13, 10:21 AM
atallen223

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to post and contribute basically nothing to the conversation because that's how I roll. A lot of people I have talked to said they used rollers to simulate real world biking because you have to control the bike while riding, but I personally use the Kurt Kinetic because I found it really cheap at a local shop. I have not heard anything negative about Cycleops fluid trainers. I've also heard good things about sufferfest videos, but again I have not tried those yet either.
Old 01-24-13, 08:13 PM
side_FX

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It's too cold to ride and I am itching to get my 2013 fitness moving! I am considering a trainer purchase. Just how loud do these things sound? Would the fluid trainers be more quiet than the magnetic ones? I also saw in a bike catalog that there is a tire you buy specifically for trainers. Does that also reduce the noise significantly? Thanks or your thoughts
Old 01-27-13, 09:25 PM
TANC
Roubaix for me !!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The CycleOps Fluid 2 is excellent for the money. Not noisy. And trainer tires are often installed cause these type trainers WILL wear out tires. Trainer tires have thicker tread.