Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Phone/gps combo tracker apps

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 01-28-13, 09:36 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts

I use both Strava and Google's My tracks. Anything out there thats better?
Old 01-28-13, 08:36 PM
JackoDandy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Endmondo is pretty cool. I bought the 'Pro' version when it was on sale for 99c around thanksgiving. I also have a garmin and tho report almost identical distnaces and times.
Old 02-01-13, 11:30 AM
ks1g
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends what you want to do and if any of the alternative seem to meet you needs better. Since I have a Garmin Edge 500, I've been using Garmin Connect & Strava (for the friendly competition, aka "how badly do I really suck?") for a while. Both work, and Strava in particular seems to be putting a lot of effort into improvements (I have a paid/premium/whatever they call it account).

I've also tried the MapMy* sites (fitness, run, ride). Their phone app/interface is simple and relatively foolproof (start record, remember to hit "stop" when done, enter an optional title, tell it if the ride is public, friends only, or private, and let it upload). MM* blew it, IMO, in their web interface, ability to correlate data from different rides, the user interface for uploading from my Garmin (and presumably other recording systems) is clunky, and I am clearly too stupid to understand their version on Strava's KOM. Maybe their paid membership is better, but I have no plans to try it. The only reason I persist is my employer's medical insurace carrier (a serious company) partnered with a "health management company" who in turn partnered with MM* for recording our "healthful exercise activities" which earn "points" which may benefit future insurance premiums but do generate spam emails at work congratulating me on how much closer I am to gaining "Silver" status and trying to sell stuff Overstock.com could not move in the meanwhile. But I digress.

I've also noticed the phone gps (Android in my case) consistently reports longer distances than my Edge 500, and that the error is greater from running activities than on rides.
Old 01-26-14, 03:53 PM
MeSteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ks1g
I've also noticed the phone gps (Android in my case) consistently reports longer distances than my Edge 500, and that the error is greater from running activities than on rides.
I have noticed in anecdotal comparisons that phone placement is crucial to accuracy. Having it in a pocket or running where it is subject to bouncing/jostling is significantly less accurate that placed in a backpack where it has a smooth ride when compared to my buddies Edge for the same ride.

When in my pocket on a ride, the difference was almost .2 miles, but in a pack, it was .01 on average.
Old 01-27-14, 12:29 AM
surfjimc
Used to be fast

Bikes: 85 Specialized Expedition, 07 Motobecane Immortal Spirit built up with Dura ace and Mavic Ksyriums, '85 Bianchi Track Bike, '90 Fisher Procaliber, '96 Landshark TwinDirt Shark Tandem, '88 Curtlo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use and really like Motion GPX for my iphone. No real turn by turn GPS feature per say, but it maps your ride, graphs speed and climbing, and gives updates while you ride if you want. You can save your rides, with maps for later use.
Old 01-27-14, 07:28 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Bouncing or jostling? What does that do, shake up and make the electrons go to the wrong places? I think it's more likely that the device sees more of the sky and hence more satellites by being in the backpack than in a pocket on your body. In a pocket, your body shields the device from at least half the sky and half the satellites. And the satellites it does see are all in that half of the sky, which is less accurate than seeing satellites spread around 360 degrees of azimuth. Add external obstructions like buildings and trees and accuracy can really suffer.
Old 01-27-14, 09:44 AM
mustridebikes

Bikes: Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JackoDandy
Endmondo is pretty cool. I bought the 'Pro' version when it was on sale for 99c around thanksgiving. I also have a garmin and tho report almost identical distnaces and times.
+1 for Endomondo. Their new training plans feature is pretty nifty if you *gasp* like to go running when you're not riding your bike.
Old 01-27-14, 10:50 AM
MeSteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Bouncing or jostling? What does that do, shake up and make the electrons go to the wrong places? I think it's more likely that the device sees more of the sky and hence more satellites by being in the backpack than in a pocket on your body. In a pocket, your body shields the device from at least half the sky and half the satellites. And the satellites it does see are all in that half of the sky, which is less accurate than seeing satellites spread around 360 degrees of azimuth. Add external obstructions like buildings and trees and accuracy can really suffer.
True, I was thinking the points in space would be less linear as you traveled causing some points to be artificially farther and others closer. I suppose the lack of half the sky is probably a better explanation than what I offered.
Old 02-05-14, 09:48 PM
ray.garza

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus Limited and 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've many apps for the iPhone including cyclemeter, strava, Wahoo Fitness and MapMyRide and they all work pretty good. The Fitness app has the best sharing capabilities than any other app. If you're not into posting your rides then Cyclemeter is for you. It does support the basics (Facebook, twitter, dailymile and email).
Old 02-10-14, 03:07 PM
jaltone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ray.garza
I've many apps for the iPhone including cyclemeter, strava, Wahoo Fitness and MapMyRide and they all work pretty good. The Fitness app has the best sharing capabilities than any other app. If you're not into posting your rides then Cyclemeter is for you. It does support the basics (Facebook, twitter, dailymile and email).
+1 on this. I don't share my rides on social media, and Cyclemeter has great options for interval training if you've got a HRM Bluetooth sensor.
Old 02-10-14, 03:14 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I upload my Garmin to both Endomondo and Strava. I would probably only use Strava (and likely will only use Strava this year), but I was using Endomondo first and wanted to maintain all my miles in one place.
Old 02-10-14, 03:34 PM
Reinofratch

Bikes: Trek 1400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using map my ride free but it only tells elevation, time, average speed and distance.
I want an app that can break my ride down further. Show me fast sections or in the very least show me my top speed. Which app is best for that?
My average goes down every time I hit a stop light. Or while im putting my glove back on after I start the app and before I start pedaling. So im not so concerned with averages

It would also be nice if I could tell my app that im carrying 40 pounds of school books for some rides because my calories burned goes up on those days

The one thing I do like about map my ride is it has a nutrition thing built in that works pretty well for tracking calories. Really helpful for someone trying to gain weight while biking daily.
Old 02-10-14, 03:36 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Reinofratch
I have been using map my ride free but it only tells elevation, time, average speed and distance.
I want an app that can break my ride down further. Show me fast sections or in the very least show me my top speed. Which app is best for that?
My average goes down every time I hit a stop light. Or while im putting my glove back on after I start the app and before I start pedaling. So im not so concerned with averages

It would also be nice if I could tell my app that im carrying 40 pounds of school books for some rides because my calories burned goes up on those days

The one thing I do like about map my ride is it has a nutrition thing built in that works pretty well for tracking calories. Really helpful for someone trying to gain weight while biking daily.
Look into Endomondo, you can set it for transportation cycling or sport cycling and it breaks your ride down into "laps" of 1 mile.
Old 02-10-14, 08:40 PM
ChargerDawg

Bikes: Madone 5.9, Sequoia, World Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cyclemeter for the iPhone.

I have tried most, but this is the app that works for me. I have a bluetooth watch and cadence sensor hooked up as well.