Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Dooring from a Cyclist's POV

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-14, 10:47 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

#t=170
Here's a video of a cyclist getting doored.
Old 09-12-14, 11:20 PM
JameB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, that guy was incredibly calm... :|
Old 09-12-14, 11:34 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
lost all sympathy from the get go the way he shot the gap between the two jay walkers. Karma can be a b......
Old 09-12-14, 11:38 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dunno kickstart.. I'm pretty sure that in NYC jaywalking is illegal and highly ticketed for..
Old 09-12-14, 11:41 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by iconicflux
I dunno kickstart.. I'm pretty sure that in NYC jaywalking is illegal and highly ticketed for..
That's not an excuse for unsafe behavior.
Old 09-12-14, 11:43 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He was doing 25mph.. could be he thought it was safest. What I don't get is that he has an airzound horn on his bike but he didn't use it to alert the jaywalkers. That's the part of it that bothers me..
Old 09-12-14, 11:52 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
He was doing 25mph.. could be he thought it was safest. What I don't get is that he has an airzound horn on his bike but he didn't use it to alert the jaywalkers. That's the part of it that bothers me..
That's faster than I guesstimated, no way I would be going that speed under those conditions. Unlike those who are sure to rebuke me, I'm not a world class athlete with cat like reflexes, and prefer to allow for a margin of error. Looks like a case of ones ego overriding their skills.
Old 09-13-14, 12:00 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get that from his comment in the video but I agree with you that I wouldn't have thought he was doing more than 18mph. I suppose we can figure out exactly how fast he was going with some math. :-P

Originally Posted by kickstart
That's faster than I guesstimated, no way I would be going that speed under those conditions. Unlike those who are sure to rebuke me, I'm not a world class athlete with cat like reflexes, and prefer to allow for a margin of error. Looks like a case of ones ego overriding their skills.
Old 09-13-14, 12:08 AM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I get that from his comment in the video but I agree with you that I wouldn't have thought he was doing more than 18mph. I suppose we can figure out exactly how fast he was going with some math. :-P
Without any math, I can observe it was obviously too fast, that's all that matters to me.
Old 09-13-14, 12:12 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that it was too fast. What surprises me is that the dooring didn't happen from the parked cars. I was totally expecting some parked car mashing and suddenly it's a jackass taxi that stopped in a traffic lane.

Without any math, I can observe it was obviously too fast, that's all that matters to me.
Old 09-13-14, 01:21 AM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I agree that it was too fast. What surprises me is that the dooring didn't happen from the parked cars. I was totally expecting some parked car mashing and suddenly it's a jackass taxi that stopped in a traffic lane.
In the 30 odd seconds before the dooring, the rider flew past a construction site, delivery truck and driver, moving truck and crew, a limo encroaching the bike lane, several pedestrians and jaywalkers, and through double and single sided door zones. Too many potential hazards in rapid succession for that speed.
My time in NYC pre dates the bike lanes, but I learned that one should expect someone to pop out of a cab at any moment and are a far greater door hazard than a parked car. Its been pointed out in other threads that fast riders do best to avoid streets with bike lanes for this reason.

Mandatory bike lane use, and thoughtless riders are a bad combination.
Old 09-13-14, 02:13 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
lost all sympathy from the get go the way he shot the gap between the two jay walkers. Karma can be a b......
Didn't have any sympathy for the folks walking across the lane in front of oncoming traffic, myself. Doesn't matter that it was "only" a bike in that lane. The folks jetted out from between two cars and didn't care a bit that an oncoming vehicle was approaching. They'd not have done that with a car, for all the obvious reasons, but they thought they could get away with it given the oncoming vehicle was "only" a bike. I, too, have little sympathy, but for those behaviors ... which were the threat. As was opening the door into the other lane without looking.
Old 09-13-14, 02:39 AM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Didn't have any sympathy for the folks walking across the lane in front of oncoming traffic, myself. Doesn't matter that it was "only" a bike in that lane. The folks jetted out from between two cars and didn't care a bit that an oncoming vehicle was approaching. They'd not have done that with a car, for all the obvious reasons, but they thought they could get away with it given the oncoming vehicle was "only" a bike. I, too, have little sympathy, but for those behaviors ... which were the threat. As was opening the door into the other lane without looking.
I don't have sympathy for the jaywalkers either, but two wrongs don't make it right. Nothing relives us of the responsibility to maintain full control of our vehicle. Exceeding ones ability to deal with pedestrians safely when riding in close proximity to them is the greater threat, the same as when motorists are driving in close proximity to cyclists, the greater threat. Same rights, same responsibilities.
Speaking from personal experience, that's typical pedestrian behavior in NYC and other major city centers that's not effected by the type of vehicle.
Old 09-13-14, 04:23 AM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A typical "stupid" incident in NYC. Jaywalkers, dopey cab and passenger, a cyclist going way, way too fast for the area. If i ride Union Square area - I am typically doing 12 -14 mph, or lower.

I didn't finish the video...too much of a daily reminder of what life is like in the BIG CRAPPLE.
Old 09-13-14, 04:39 AM
eastbay71

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
That guy is incredibly calm. he didn't even drop an F-bomb when he crashed. I would have strung together a legendary jumble of curse words that could make a sailor blush. I need lessons from him. I've been doored and I've also hit a moving car that was totally my fault. I never trust drivers or cars parked in random places.
Old 09-13-14, 06:40 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
That's not an excuse for unsafe behavior.
You are absolutely right. So why do those pedestrians practice such unsafe behaviour such as jaywalking?
Old 09-13-14, 06:45 AM
genec
genec

In the 30 odd seconds before the dooring, the rider flew past a construction site, delivery truck and driver, moving truck and crew, a limo encroaching the bike lane, several pedestrians and jaywalkers, and through double and single sided door zones. Too many potential hazards in rapid succession for that speed.
My time in NYC pre dates the bike lanes, but I learned that one should expect someone to pop out of a cab at any moment and are a far greater door hazard than a parked car. Its been pointed out in other threads that fast riders do best to avoid streets with bike lanes for this reason.

Mandatory bike lane use, and thoughtless riders are a bad combination.
What about the "thoughtless" delivery truck and driver, moving truck and crew, limo, and several pedestrians and jaywalkers ... all encroaching the well marked and mandatory bike lane... don't they share some responsibility for their illegal actions?
Old 09-13-14, 07:46 AM
VTBike

Bikes: Scott Sub 40

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
What about the "thoughtless" delivery truck and driver, moving truck and crew, limo, and several pedestrians and jaywalkers ... all encroaching the well marked and mandatory bike lane... don't they share some responsibility for their illegal actions?
Nobody has suggested otherwise. Are you unsure about this?
Old 09-13-14, 08:33 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by VTBike
Nobody has suggested otherwise. Are you unsure about this?
No, it was a rhetorical question meant to spur some thinking on the part of viewers of this thread.
Old 09-13-14, 08:41 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
No, it was a rhetorical question meant to spur some thinking on the part of viewers of this thread.
What are we supposed to think about regarding "thoughtless" delivery truck and driver, moving truck and crew, limo, and several pedestrians and jaywalkers encroaching the well marked and mandatory bike lane?
Old 09-13-14, 08:44 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
The only thing it makes me think is that when you cram that many people into that small of space (NYC) there are going to conflicts, crashes, collisions, and chaotic behaviors.
Old 09-13-14, 09:00 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What are we supposed to think about regarding "thoughtless" delivery truck and driver, moving truck and crew, limo, and several pedestrians and jaywalkers encroaching the well marked and mandatory bike lane?
Well, what do you think about when trying to use a mandatory bike lane that is filled with things like "thoughtless" delivery truck and driver, moving truck and crew, limo, and several pedestrians and jaywalkers?

Go ahead... try expressing your thoughts... just what might you do in such a situation?
Old 09-13-14, 09:01 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Personally, the cyclist's calling out to peds was probably more constructive than blasting them with a loud horn, and operating at speed on a bicycle in that type of environment wasn't what I consider as being street smart, especially on something as quiet and having a low visual profile as a bicycle.

Last edited by dynodonn; 09-13-14 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-13-14, 09:11 AM
TomCat_Ford

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cab was over to the far left of the lane (tires almost on the white line) and its four way flashers were clearly activated. To me, those two things meant that someone was either going to be getting in or out of the cab.
Old 09-13-14, 09:16 AM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The pedestrians and limo driver were indeed in the wrong. The moving van and delivery truck are exercising their lawful and by permit right-to-reasonable-access. Lawful commercial right-to-reasonable-access trumps right-of-way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.