Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Using Google Maps for route planning? Such convoluted and confusing routes.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-15, 03:06 PM
Kertrek

Bikes: Trek 7000, Specialized Allez & Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've watched a few videos on youtube, that say Google Maps is a great tool, but when I selected a destination on Google Maps, there are so many left and rights, sometimes a turn every 50 or 100 feet, and it seems really convoluted. There's no way I can remember a route like that without having my phone on the entire time (which isn't feasible 'cause I only have one battery). What's the best way to use online resources and/or GPS without being too dependent on using GPS and making your routes as straightfoward as possible?

Last edited by Kertrek; 06-15-15 at 03:32 PM. Reason: heh, meant to post this in the touring category. Oh well. now where's the delete post button
Old 06-15-15, 05:30 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
I typically have better success using Google Maps with the Automobile directions and then selecting the box that says "Avoid Highways".

Another resource I like using if I'm coming to a large unfamiliar city is Strava Heat map: https://labs.strava.com/heatmap It gives me some clues of where the local cyclists are riding.
Old 06-15-15, 05:37 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been having an awesome good time with Ride With GPS and their navigation feature.
Old 06-16-15, 05:22 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Kertrek
......Google Maps is a great tool, but ..... it seems
really convoluted. There's no way I can remember a route like that ......
i've had great success with a simple app called pencil and paper.

you can, like, sketch out your route on an A5 sheet.......several if
it's a longie....that fits in your bar bag map protector.
no batteries required.

or...you could join us in the 20th century. zoom to show the route
at a usable scale, use the *print-screen* button and, like, print it.
make notes....again using pencil.....to indicate landmarks at each turn.
Old 06-16-15, 07:25 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I feel like somewhere there might have been a place online where you could feed it a link to Google directions and it would spit out a cue sheet. But maybe I'm misremembering.

At any rate, I have been known to move my Google directions into a spreadsheet and print them out. I put them in a ziplock bag taped to my front rack.

Some tricks I use to get better directions: Break your trip up to as small of pieces as possible. Google seems to always want to give you about three options per trip, so planning each leg, or even each half-day separately will have Google giving you multiple options for each leg, rather than only three options for the whole trip. Then you can choose between the fastest, shortest, or most out-of-the-way. Have a backup. Google has tried to route me through private property a few times. Do like mev says and use auto directions. Whenever you are worried that a road might not be very good for riding, you can usually use street view to get a better picture of the riding conditions.

Google also has a database of what it considers to be bike-friendly roads, and it has some algorithm for deciding how far out of your way it's worth routing you to hit those roads. You may not agree with the algorithm, or you may not agree with what constitutes a bike-friendly road, so it's worth keeping in mind when you use Google to plan your route. I have certainly made course changes mid-ride because I didn't like where Google was sending me.
Old 06-16-15, 02:44 PM
SanDiegoSteve

Bikes: Felt Fc, Litespeed Ghisallo, beach cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two good ones with free options Bike Maps, Cycling Workout, Biking Routes | MapMyRide and Map Bike Rides with Elevation Profiles, Analyze Cycling Performance, Train Better. Ride With GPS are very good. I've only used the free versions.

Bike Route Toaster - Welcome to BikeRouteToaster.com is also nice and has improved over time.
Old 06-16-15, 03:43 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An important lesson I learned on my tour last summer was to plan routes with paper state maps, and use GPS/map apps only to stay on route or return to the route after a detour. When I was route planning using map apps, I found I had to be zoomed in too much for very much area to be shown on my screen, or I was zoomed out to far to see necessary details. Route planning with full size, paper state maps was quick and easy, by comparison.
Old 06-16-15, 03:49 PM
ak08820

Bikes: MGX MTB, Fuji Supreme, Miyata 90 and a Trek 700 in the works

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I found that Google goes out of its way to include bike paths if they happen to be nearby and lengthening the route considerably.
Old 06-18-15, 01:03 AM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Sounds like the experiences I've had trying to get Garmin device & mapping software to produce turn-by-turn routing. Google Maps has chosen some good local bike routes but I don't know if i'd trust it for longer routes. Use Google Maps to create your own route using savvy & common sense. Make a cue sheet with intersections & mileage intervals listed so you can just keep an eye on the bike computer to be aware of upcoming turns.
Old 06-18-15, 04:52 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaywalk3r
An important lesson I learned on my tour last summer was to plan routes with paper state maps, and use GPS/map apps only to stay on route or return to the route after a detour. When I was route planning using map apps, I found I had to be zoomed in too much for very much area to be shown on my screen, or I was zoomed out to far to see necessary details. Route planning with full size, paper state maps was quick and easy, by comparison.
My experience exactly. GPS devices have very limited use. For paper maps I use the Rand McNally gazateer map books and copy the pages I need.
Old 06-18-15, 06:28 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ak08820
I found that Google goes out of its way to include bike paths if they happen to be nearby and lengthening the route considerably.
The path doesn't even have to be nearby, I've had them recommend going 30 miles out of my way to reach a path. The service is a convenient tool, but you also have to take a rational look at it and be sure you are making a good choice. They have gotten better in the past couple of years and the GPS marker can be very helpful if you feel you are off course.

Marc
Old 06-19-15, 09:35 AM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
i've had great success with a simple app called pencil and paper.

I've also found another good ap called "asking directions" for those occasions when you know you are off-route.

I've used Google map directions for my last four summers' 1000 mile tours and will continue to do so, but they aren't everyone's cup of tea. I don't have a smart phone or a GPS.

I print out the directions like a cue sheet (16 pages worth for last summer: Duluth, MN to Kingston, ON) after studying and tweaking them on the screen. I annotate the printed version where I think I need some extra info, with distances set to read in kilometers and my odometer set accordingly. Then when it tells me to take a left in 300 m I can tell by my odometer when I've gone .3 km much more easily than 984 feet.

Each successive page goes inside the map pocket on my handlebar bag. I like to see the progression taking place, though a single page may represent anywhere from 259 km (the MI U.P.) vs. 17.5 km (getting from the bus stop in Duluth to the outskirts of Superior, WI and the start of the Osaugie Trail). For the shorter legs (<10 km) it's easy to match the Google distances to the odometer but there is a margin for error that makes that more difficult for the longer legs. Sometimes the directions will only tell you to "turn toward" a certain named road when that turn is an unnamed bike path (which was the case with the Long-Hastings section of the Trans Canada Trail). If you don't have a pretty close fix on where to make the turn you can miss it.

Hence the back-up strategy of asking someone local for directions. It usually leads to a nice conversation about where I started and where I'm heading and can even result in kind offers of help and a place to stay for the night. I highly recommend it.
Old 06-19-15, 09:39 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by hilltowner
I've also found another good ap called "asking directions" for those occasions when you know you are off-route.
Is there something similar (maybe electronic) that works for most men?