Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Airzound problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-13, 12:57 PM
Carib Can

Bikes: Eclipse Full Carbon Race Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
If we never had a post on Bikeforums about something that had been discussed before, we could shut the site down, or just make it read-only.
True, however......... There is no need to close threads just because they are old. I think you are missing my point.
Old 10-31-13, 01:02 PM
Carib Can

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BTW, I just discovered that there are is an Airzound 3 now. Too bad the older metal ones are replaced with plastic models.
Old 11-01-13, 10:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
What features does the 3 offer?

I've been considering getting an airzound. I haven't had one yet.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-01-13, 10:44 PM
Carib Can

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
What features does the 3 offer?

I've been considering getting an airzound. I haven't had one yet.
Awaiting a reply https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/samui-air...bottomsectionq
Old 11-02-13, 05:20 PM
Carib Can

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have picked up the Air Zound not too long ago. There is good and bad.

The good.

It seems louder than the Hornit, I will do a decibel measurement tomorrow to confirm.
Does not need batteries.
Way lighter than the Hornit.
It's cheaper than the Hornit.

The Hornit however is perfect for anyone not requiring a super loud horn, easy to use and has a nice look to it.
I love it for what it is so not putting it down by any means.

The bad, which can be made good.

The mount is a joke compared to mounts of other accessories, but it's cheap. With some no brainer mods, it can be attached better with tie wraps.
The air reservoir (500 ml or 1/2 Liter) is way below capacity needs for the city at 80 psi and a fully open valve for maximum loudness. With some mods, we can fix that issue for cheap, already started.
Cannot be pumped by hand easily, a small electric compressor works perfectly especially if you will follow my mods.
It does not work below -10C
It's bulky.
The sound level control valve is a dinky plastic bar which pinches the hose. I prefer to leave it fully open for maximum loudness and quicker refilling.
More difficult to activate than a Hornit.

I will take pics of my mods when I do them and post pics here, some maybe by tomorrow.

Last edited by Carib Can; 11-09-13 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-09-13, 04:06 PM
Carib Can

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Guys,

Sorry about the late reply, I was busy packing and shipping stuff fro my move to the Caribbean.

I have decided to start a new thread about the mods I have made to the Air Zound so that we can keep the problems experienced as the thread titles states and the success I have had with the mods.

Mods thread can be found here https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...7#post16233297

Cheers.
Old 11-13-13, 02:40 AM
jay7782bea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Airzound just failed, after the 2-3 years mentioned by others. In my case, pressing the button failed to produce any sound, although there was some air left. In the interest of science, I took it to pieces to find the reason for the failure, and discovered that the valve had rotated whilst I was screwing on the pump and twisted up the air line, blocking the flow. This is not normally a problem, as I usually use a track pump which is a push fit, but I occasionally use an screw-fit pump when I am riding.

There does not seem to be a cure for this once it has happened. The air line is a push fit onto the valve, but there is no way to connect up a new air line, and it looks like the valve and airline are put in place before the final assembly of the horn.

I have a new horn coming, and the first thing I will do it apply Sugru to the base of the valve to stop it rotating. I could not tell whether the valve was originally glued or whether it was just a friction fit keeping it in place, but the twisting of the airline seems to explain a few of the failures here. It is also possible that the airline gets weaker and more prone to twisting with age, particularly around the valve.

Last edited by jay7782bea; 11-13-13 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-13-13, 07:05 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I've been debating whether to get an Airzound. I mentioned this to a friend, and he said he's sending me his. Yay!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-23-13, 03:13 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Really? Everybody is just pumping theirs up to 80 PSI? I know that is what the packaging says nowadays, but I've been pumping up my "new" one to 120 PSI almost every day for almost 3 years and its still going strong. When I bought my first one over a decade ago the packaging said to pump them up to 120 PSI. Get a lot more blasts out of it! I assume it is also a LOT louder, given that I see a big decrease in how loud each blast is as the pressure goes down and I'm not happy with how loud it is when I go to refill it and my floor pump says it is at about 80. The first 3-4 blasts from 120 PSI are amazing! I'm pretty sure they changed the packaging only because in some locales the amount of decibels the Airzoundz puts out at 120 PSI (120db IIRC) is illegal. I don't see any design change between my 2001 model and my 2010 model. It's possible there's some internal difference, but like I said, I've been pumping mine up to 120 PSI almost every day since March of 2011.

My first Airzoundz died because I took it to an alkali desert and that'll kill anything (hose got brittle and developed a leak). Had another one have a hose come apart on it (at the base), but I figured this was from a crash or maybe getting tangled with another bike in a rack or something.

Even if I had to replace my Airzoundz every 2-3 years, it'd totally be worth it for what it does. I consider it an indispensable piece of safety equipment on par with my mirror.

I mount mine in a extra cage under the downtube. The supplied velcro works fine since the vessel weighs almost nothing. I added this cage with Zefal mounts ("Elite VIP adapter). I don't think I'd be happy with the Zefal mounts if the cage had water in it, but with again with basically zero weight in it, with it holding just the Airzoundz vessel, they work OK.

Last edited by Medic Zero; 11-23-13 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-21-17, 03:08 PM
KMGKMG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really does work

I was a little doubtful. But I found the Youtube video (www . youtube . com / watch?v=XgoRvD3joq8)

Used a can opener to prise open the back of the horn and within 15 minutes back to full BLASTING
Old 11-26-17, 10:45 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KMGKMG
I was a little doubtful. But I found the Youtube video (www . youtube . com / watch?v=XgoRvD3joq8)

Used a can opener to prise open the back of the horn and within 15 minutes back to full BLASTING
That's good news!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-27-17, 04:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I was busy packing and shipping stuff for my move to the Caribbean.
Helping rebuild Puerto Rico?
Old 12-01-17, 12:18 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try replacing the core. I've noticed that if water gets in and causes the core to rust you'll have to replace it before it'll work again.