Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can the Alex Rim DA 16 accommodate a Tubeful glue on tire?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-11-20, 10:10 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts

I am thinking in advance that the famous DA 16 can only use clincher tires. Picked up a pair of tubeful sewn Continental gatorskins at a garage sale in brand new shape but guess I can't use them. Just wanted to doublecheck.
Old 09-11-20, 10:19 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
TUBULAR, not tubeful. And no, absolutely not possible to use that on a clincher rim. Please google 'difference between clincher and tubular rim' so you know exactly why.
Old 09-12-20, 08:22 AM
5 mph

Originally Posted by cxwrench
TUBULAR, not tubeful. And no, absolutely not possible to use that on a clincher rim. Please google 'difference between clincher and tubular rim' so you know exactly why.
Old 09-12-20, 08:32 AM
cxwrench

Why you mad? It should be obvious when looking at a clincher rim and a tubular tire that they aren't compatible.
Old 09-12-20, 10:09 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,492 Times in 1,190 Posts
The good thing is you should be able to trade them for a set of clinchers. You may want to check into the classic/vintage forum. A lot of members up north.
Old 09-12-20, 11:45 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Why you mad? It should be obvious when looking at a clincher rim and a tubular tire that they aren't compatible.
He should be mad at himself for buying something at a garage sale that he didn't understand.
"Tubeful glue on" OK, we were all newbs once... but that's a funny clue as to what the real issue is.
Old 09-12-20, 12:37 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I like "tubeful" -- it sounds positive and optimistic, something we need these days.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-12-20, 02:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Inverse possibility offered by Tufo https://www.tufo.com/en/tubular-clincher/

g'gl shows a clincher

https://rs.130928.mrsite.com/images/t...305_600_0.jpeg

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-12-20 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-12-20, 07:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I wonder if that actually works well. It looks like a kind of neat idea and if they did it in a 28mm version I would love to try it.
Old 09-13-20, 12:03 AM
5 mph

Hello Professor Cxwrench and All
I'm not mad. Its my fault. Thank you very much for your information.
Apologies, my friend.
I'm not totally witless. I did a lot of reading. People have tried Tape with using Tubeful (LOL) tires with various Clincher rims. A few succeeded but many have found they have found that they shift and they damage the Presta Valve... That would be scary at 50 mph.

Last edited by 5 mph; 09-13-20 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-13-20, 05:19 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I've used tubulars on 27"(630mm) clincher rims. It worked somewhat after lining the rim with double-sided sticky tape.
What made me stop that was that those rims were so deep that the wheels became very prone to flats, not enough air chamber visible.
Old 09-13-20, 08:57 AM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by 5 mph
Hello Professor Cxwrench and All
I'm not mad. Its my fault. Thank you very much for your information.
Apologies, my friend.
I'm not totally witless. I did a lot of reading. People have tried Tape with using Tubeful (LOL) tires with various Clincher rims. A few succeeded but many have found they have found that they shift and they damage the Presta Valve... That would be scary at 50 mph.
Originally Posted by dabac
I've used tubulars on 27"(630mm) clincher rims. It worked somewhat after lining the rim with double-sided sticky tape.
What made me stop that was that those rims were so deep that the wheels became very prone to flats, not enough air chamber visible.
This is one of the most massively stupid ideas I've ever heard of.
Old 09-13-20, 10:21 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
A 700C tubular tire can be used on a 700C rim in an emergency. However, there's a possibility that with long term use the clincher rim walls will chafe through the sides of the tubular tire.

Cheers
Old 09-13-20, 10:23 AM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Miele Man
A 700C tubular tire can be used on a 700C rim in an emergency. However, there's a possibility that with long term use the clincher rim walls will chafe through the sides of the tubular tire.

Cheers
I can't even begin to imagine what kind of emergency would lead to this. Forget 'chafing'...the tire has so little contact w/ the rim it will roll. Again...massively stupid.
Old 09-13-20, 10:49 AM
dabac

This is one of the most massively stupid ideas I've ever heard of.
Why?
I had the wheels.
The rims weren’t hooked.
I wanted to run higher pressure tires.
I had the tubulars.
I used up some of my time and some of my resources at something that didn’t pose any particular risk to anyone else.
If that is your idea of ”massively stupid”, there has to be a lot around that doesn’t meet your approval.
Luckily, I don’t need it.
The basic idea worked. If I’d had a wider tubular, it’d have worked fine.
Old 09-13-20, 10:53 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

I can't even begin to imagine what kind of emergency would lead to this. Forget 'chafing'...the tire has so little contact w/ the rim it will roll. Again...massively stupid.
El Toro Poo Poo!

I've used a tubular tire on a clincher rim a couple of times.Once was to get home from a long ride and another time it was to get the bike to a bike shop a number of miles away. In both case I used the tubular tore because the clincher tire normally on the wheel was toast. In neither instance was there and "rolling of the tire off the rim". Actually, if you put a tubular tire on a clincher rim and pump up the tubular tire until it's hard, you'll find it's pretty hard to roll the tire off the rim without deflating it first.

Cheers
Old 09-13-20, 12:02 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

It is pretty impressive how well a fully inflated sew-up fits on a clincher rim - I would totally trust one in a situation where I had no other options... although it's a little hard to imagine being in that kind of situation. There's no way I would do this for anything besides getting home or a repair place though; I'd corner very carefully and I would minimize braking on that wheel too to prevent the tire's creeping and ripping out the valve.
Old 09-13-20, 12:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I wonder if that actually works well. It looks like a kind of neat idea and if they did it in a 28mm version I would love to try it.
Years ago they tried, then dropped, offering a Cyclocross Tubular-Clincher , but was knobby for cyclocross racing, I think..

Now the Czech company just stuck with glued on cross tires,, (swap bikes in the pits run by, crew changes wheels )
Old 09-13-20, 12:34 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

You're out with your clincher-riding group, and someone slashes their tire on a broken bottle.

After chiding their carelessness, you give them your spare tubular which they put on and ride home.

Clearly you have never tried this, or you would be less dogmatic.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 09-13-20, 01:32 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by woodcraft
You're out with your clincher-riding group, and someone slashes their tire on a broken bottle.

After chiding their carelessness, you give them your spare tubular which they put on and ride home.

Clearly you have never tried this, or you would be less dogmatic.
First, the "dollar bill boot" trick would have had to have failed.
Old 09-13-20, 07:16 PM
cxwrench

Ok, I agree w/ some of these emergency situations. To get home when no other fix will work, ok.

But...

To do this with the exectation of riding like that for an extended period of time...crazy. Not as crazy as trying to put a clincher on a tubular rim but not smart.
Old 09-14-20, 12:19 AM
dabac

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
It is pretty impressive how well a fully inflated sew-up fits on a clincher rim.
They fit even better on traditionally shaped 27”/630mm wheels.The level where the rim strip goes ends up at a very similar diameter as to where the tire mounts to a tubular rim.
.... although it's a little hard to imagine being in that kind of situation.
Want to run high pressure on a non-hooked rim? Use a tubular.
Or one of those MacGyver situations where the desire to get something to work with what’s at hand at the moment is very strong.
I would totally trust one ...
As stated, I’ve tried it. Admittedly not during alpine descents or podium-finish efforts, but certainly under what for me goes as ”regular” riding, no special considerations.
On my wheels they became prone to flats, which made them long-term impractical. But getting a flat is hardly a new risk, so not much of a concern.
​​​​​​​
I'd corner very carefully and I would minimize braking on that wheel too to prevent the tire's creeping and ripping out the valve.
I had no concerns at all about cornering, but the creep had to be addressed. Double sided sticky tape or a folded strip of duct tape to the inside of the rim sorted it out for me.
...There's no way I would do this for anything besides getting home or a repair place though.
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​I can think of one or two other reasons.
But I agree with your general opinion. Running a tubular/clincher combo isn’t a goal in itself, it’s a tolerable way of achieving something else. Getting a bike rideable with what’s at hand, extending the use of some vintage wheels etc.
Old 09-14-20, 12:52 AM
Miele Man

In Canada, a monetary tire boot would have o be made with a $5.00 bill since we have coins for $1.00 and $2.00 amounts not bills.

Cheers
Old 09-14-20, 09:20 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,492 Times in 1,190 Posts
In Canada, a monetary tire boot would have o be made with a $5.00 bill since we have coins for $1.00 and $2.00 amounts not bills.

Cheers
I remember someone on here complaining they only had a twenty.
Old 09-14-20, 09:31 AM
alcjphil

Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts

Cheers
Not sure that Canadian bills would work well since they are made of plastic. I keep a piece of Tyvek in my wallet instead

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.