Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to ruin a perfectly good rim

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-20, 09:48 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts

I know this might be better suited in Mechanics, but here it is.
Long story short, I finally got the opportunity to tape a rim to the wheel with the popped spoke, and move the spokes over one at a time. The first was laced incorrectly, with the valve coming up inside the four pack, instead of between four packs. So I figured I'd just rotate things until it was lined up correctly on the new rim. Long story short. It turns out the original wheel doesn't even have four packs; it has fives and threes. Worse yet is the realization that I was the builder of said wheel. I noted to myself, as I began loosening the spokes all around, that they seemed exceedingly tight.....
Edit: Only one five and one three; the rest are fours. In any case, its a full re-lace.

Last edited by seedsbelize; 10-22-20 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-22-20, 02:24 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I know this might be better suited in Mechanics, but here it is.
Long story short, I finally got the opportunity to tape a rim to the wheel with the popped spoke, and move the spokes over one at a time. The first was laced incorrectly, with the valve coming up inside the four pack, instead of between four packs. So I figured I'd just rotate things until it was lined up correctly on the new rim. Long story short. It turns out the original wheel doesn't even have four packs; it has fives and threes. Worse yet is the realization that I was the builder of said wheel. I noted to myself, as I began loosening the spokes all around, that they seemed exceedingly tight.....
Edit: Only one five and one three; the rest are fours. In any case, its a full re-lace.
Wondering how many different spoke lengths you would need for that sort of spoke pattern?

I've caught myself building a wheel wrong with spokes going everywhere, but never completed such a build.
Old 10-22-20, 02:48 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Worse yet is the realization that I was the builder of said wheel.
I hate when that happens. You get yourself all worked up with scorn for somebody's idiocy and then you figure out who it was that planted this torment for you. More times than I care to think about.

I've had this happen at work too. "The problem is happening because of this piece of code here. Let me look through the revision history and see if the fool who wrote that code provided any clue as to what they were thinking..." *Looks through revision history* "Oh...."
Old 10-25-20, 04:50 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
How to ruin a perfectly good rim...

...like I need help on that, Jerry.

I’ll add yours to my list.
Old 10-25-20, 05:17 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,902 Times in 1,137 Posts
It is only ruined if it taco's on you on the first ride! It is always tough to get everything right in a wheel build. I prefer to build when I get no interruptions for my concentration, but it doesn't always happen. Smiles, MH