Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire Changing and Arthritis

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-01-19, 04:39 PM
Babbitt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I could use some good ideas for putting on a new tire. The arthritis in my hands has gotten to the point that I can't get a new tire on without tire levers. This often eads to a torn tube from the lever. I can change a tire on the road after then have broken in some. At least I have not been stranded yet.

Currently I just put the tire on without a tube and let it sit over night to stretch. I typically ride a 700 x 25 tire.

Thanks
Old 11-01-19, 04:48 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Babbitt
I could use some good ideas for putting on a new tire. The arthritis in my hands has gotten to the point that I can't get a new tire on without tire levers. This often eads to a torn tube from the lever. I can change a tire on the road after then have broken in some. At least I have not been stranded yet.

Currently I just put the tire on without a tube and let it sit over night to stretch. I typically ride a 700 x 25 tire.

Thanks
Regardless of the use of tire levers, the principles of sound technique and procedure still apply. There is a very large volume of published material on sound technique and procedure. If you find yourself deviating from known good practice (or tearing tubes) stop and evaluate what you're doing. (I can't see a tire without a tube stretching, BTW.)
Old 11-01-19, 05:26 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
I haven't gone tubeless on any of my bikes, but it seems to me that if you can put the tire on, but have problems with the tube, perhaps tubeless is for you.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-01-19, 05:44 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts

Thanks
Schwalbe tire levers are flat & I tried them based on a recommendation here (they are blue & cost like $7 for a set of 3). They are easier to slip under a tight bead than the Pedro’s reinforced type.

use of leather gardening gloves (tight fitting preferably) can help give more grip when rolling a tight bead by hand.

use of tubeless tape sometimes help create some extra space in tight quarters even with inner tubes.
Old 11-01-19, 05:58 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
You could use a Park TL10 type tool.
Old 11-01-19, 06:15 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
I'm curious if a bead jack would help the OP at all?
Old 11-01-19, 06:17 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Easy and inexpensive answer - Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack

Likes For August West:
Old 11-01-19, 06:20 PM
Babbitt

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Tubles is an interesting idea.

I have been changing tires for almost 50 years and have never seen one of those jacks before. I am ordering one tonight.

Thanks
Likes For Babbitt:
Old 11-01-19, 06:35 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts

I have been changing tires for almost 50 years and have never seen one of those jacks before. I am ordering one tonight.

Thanks
Don't neglect to bring it with you on a ride or you will be stuck if you get a flat. I have found that nitrile gloves help to give a better grip than bare hands, weigh practically nothing and are useful for keeping your hands clean when doing greasy tasks like putting a dropped chain back on.
Old 11-01-19, 07:20 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Bead jack is a wonder. I've got pretty strong hands (double bassist) but there are tires that I can't install by hand at all without the bead jack.
Old 11-01-19, 07:44 PM
Babbitt

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I just ordered the jack. Can't wait to try it.
Old 11-01-19, 09:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
One of the important things is not to make the basic job any more difficult than it needs to be. Tubeless rim tape (or a generic version of same) is much thinner than traditional Velox cloth tape, and this gives you a bit more slack when mounting tires on some classic rims that are known to be tight, or when the tire tends to be a tight fit on anything.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-01-19, 09:09 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
I guess this is a little late but I just saw this recently from Performance. Looks like another good possibility for easy mounting. Link also has a demo video. https://www.performancebike.com/tyre...rekey/p1007690
Old 11-01-19, 09:42 PM
Babbitt

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
If the jack doesn't work I may try that.

Thanks
Old 11-02-19, 07:10 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 402 Posts
I have dealt with arthritis in my hands for years and the advise above is good. When I got a set of "tubeless ready rims" I found how important rim design is in mounting. This post and the comments encapsulates my learning experience with rims and other hints as well: https://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/...th-deep-wells/
Old 11-02-19, 09:36 AM
Babbitt

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks I will check out that link.
Old 11-02-19, 11:27 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
You will be happy with it. Don't leave home without it.
Old 11-02-19, 02:10 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Read your biography: good to see you've taken up cycling. Do you use folding tires? I think they are easier to install than tires with wire beads.

I occasionally tore a tube with metal levers, I never have with with plastic levers.

While searching for a tool I used to use but can't remember the name of (QuickStick?), I found
IMFUN Bike Tire Lever Cycling Repair Tool to Install Remove Difficult Tires
I've never used.
Old 11-02-19, 03:01 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
The Kool Stop seems a little large to carry along. I've used the Sunlite, which is a nylon copy of the old VAR bead jack/tire levers. It's longer than most tire levers carried in bike bags but smaller than the Kool Stop. It's worked for me on the road. Here's the Amazon page:
https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Pro-T...sr=1-1-catcorr
Old 11-02-19, 04:14 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto the Kool Stop bead jack. Solved my tire mounting problems with very tight fitting Schwalbe One and Conti tires. My hand arthritis isn't too bad but it can be painful in winter.

I take it on every ride, tucked into my jersey center pocket. Some folks cut down the handle so it doesn't poke out so far. I haven't. The length doesn't bother me -- it's behind me so I can't see it. But it doesn't need to full handle length to be effective.

Also helps to powder the tubes and tire beads if I'm at home. On the road I spit on the last bit of bead if it's giving me a hard time.

Regarding folding vs wire beads, I haven't noticed any pattern. Most of my wire bead tires can be mounted with just my bare hands, and I don't have that much hand strength anymore. But some folders, especially Schwalbe and Continental, can be a sumb!tch to mount without some mechanical leverage. Especially when new. I doubt the bead stretches. I think mounting burnishes the rubber around the bead, maybe scrapes off the mold release, so it gets a little easier with each re-mounting.
Old 11-02-19, 09:02 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Whether or not the jack works for the original OP it seems odd that nobody mentioned some of the hints to help anyone in mounting tires.
1. Always start on the opposite side of the wheel from the valve stem and end just to one side of the valve.
2. Push the bead toward the center of the rim, where the radius is slightly smaller.
3. Once you have a good portion of the bead on, depress the valve and push all the air out that you can.
4. You can also try going back to the start and pushing the tire toward the valve.
5. When you approach the end, push the valve stem into the tire, so that the reinforcement does not interfere with mounting/seating.
6. Talc can help in pushing the tire over the rim, as well as making catching the tube with a tire lever less likely.

Starting across from the valve, pushing the bead toward the center of the rim and then continuing around the tire (while continuing to hold onto the tire) can also help with removal. I have removed 700x28 tires that are somewhat looser this way with no tire lever at all.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 11-03-19 at 06:09 AM.
Likes For cny-bikeman:
Old 11-02-19, 09:10 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Bikeman, I like all your suggestions.

I want everybody to stop struggling with crappy "tire levers". I am lucky enough to have this Park tool which they quit making. It will get any tire - no matter how stubborn - off the rim.

but by all means get the Park tire levers - or the VAR tool - along with the black bead jack described above.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Likes For mpetry912:
Old 11-03-19, 11:36 AM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts

Thanks
Same here! I recently went tubeless with one of my wheelsets, and for the life of me I couldn't get one of the tires on the rim. So, just a few days ago I did a search for an alternative method (other than levers) and came across the Kool-Stop tire bead jack. Until now, I never knew anything like this existed, either.
Old 11-03-19, 02:05 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
To all those recommending a tire jack. Can a tire jack fit under the bead when the tire is on the wheel? If it can't be done easily then it'd not be a great help in a roadside repair.

Cheers
Old 11-03-19, 03:20 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I don't have arthritis but I have noticed that, with age, my formerly gorilla hands are now more like Rhesus monkey hands. Or spider monkey, maybe.

At the same time, I started trying tubeless tires. I found them HARDER to install. I did find that installing the tubeless with soapy water was easier. And making sure that the tire beads were in the center well of the rim all around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.