Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

ID This Brooks Saddle/bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-20, 12:50 PM
partyanimal

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts

Found this bike on FB Marketplace I might buy as a project/possible grocery getter. I think it's a 1950s Humber Sport. I know they came stock with Brooks Saddles and I've found a few catalogs but still can't quite place the exact model/year of the saddle. The logo plate says maybe 50s/60s. Not sure about the bag loops though. Any thoughts?

Old 10-14-20, 12:55 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,691 Times in 2,611 Posts
Saddle looks to be a B.72, and bike likely from the 1960s. Humbers had far fancier features in the 50s.
Old 10-14-20, 03:24 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
On the underside of the metal plate on my Brooks saddle is a date code. I emailed it to Brooks and they told me the most likely time frame of a few months that the saddle would have been made in as well as its original price. Perhaps there's a date code on that metal piece on your saddle?

Cheers
Old 10-14-20, 06:51 PM
partyanimal

thanks all. going to check out the bike tomorrow.
Old 10-14-20, 07:06 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Assuming the saddle is original to the bike, the Sturmey-Archer hub should have a date code on it with year digits (space) month digit(s) that should get you pretty close.
Old 10-15-20, 06:12 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by partyanimal
Found this bike on FB Marketplace I might buy as a project/possible grocery getter. I think it's a 1950s Humber Sport. I know they came stock with Brooks Saddles and I've found a few catalogs but still can't quite place the exact model/year of the saddle. The logo plate says maybe 50s/60s. Not sure about the bag loops though. Any thoughts?

This saddle has a plastic BROOKS badge. They used stamped aluminum badges all through the 60's, switching to flat (painted) aluminum in the early 70's, and these plastic ones later on. I'm being vague about these dates because I don't know them. But your saddle is fairly late, I'll say mid 70's.
Old 10-15-20, 06:32 AM
GMS 
Bike Dealer since 1972

Bikes: Some of the bikes I've collected: Raleighs ( about 20), Trek ( oldest 1978 770 Columbus tubes), Mercian, Condor, Bob Jackson, Falcon, Holdsworth, Jacques Anquetil, Bianchi, LeMond, Cannondale, Schwinn, Iver Johnson, Dunelt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 29 Posts
Is that a Raleigh decal on the fork?
Old 10-16-20, 05:41 AM
blackbomber

Bikes: 1932 Simmons Banner

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 14 Posts
thanks all. going to check out the bike tomorrow.
Hi, did you end up seeing the bike? This one is local to me, and I thought about having a look myself (although I wouldn't buy it at anything near the listing price).
Old 10-16-20, 12:25 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by GMS
Is that a Raleigh decal on the fork?
Yup, looks like Sir Walter.
Old 10-16-20, 05:44 PM
partyanimal

Originally Posted by blackbomber
Hi, did you end up seeing the bike? This one is local to me, and I thought about having a look myself (although I wouldn't buy it at anything near the listing price).
Hi,
I ended up passing on it. The saddle was really more beat up than in the pictures (not a deal breaker) but the hub was just spinning, not turning the wheel. I little more advanced than I know how to fix. It was an older lady selling it who had a packed garage full of stuff and didn't really know anything about it. It was a cool bike though.
Likes For partyanimal:
Old 10-16-20, 06:28 PM
blackbomber

Bikes: 1932 Simmons Banner

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 14 Posts
Hi,
I ended up passing on it. The saddle was really more beat up than in the pictures (not a deal breaker) but the hub was just spinning, not turning the wheel. I little more advanced than I know how to fix. It was an older lady selling it who had a packed garage full of stuff and didn't really know anything about it. It was a cool bike though.
Thanks for that. When my instinct tells me to walk away, I rarely regret it. I've brought back worse seats to usable condition (won't look any better, though), and the hub might just need an adjustment. Which is fine, on a $30 - $50 bike. I might check it out if the price drops significantly. Good luck in your search - there seems to be a good amount of new stuff coming up for sale pretty regularly around here. You should be able to pick one up before too long.

Oh - you didn't happen to get the year off of the hub, did you?