Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Busted Carbon Rim - Thoughts?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Busted Carbon Rim - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-20, 09:49 AM
November Dave

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Nixhex
Just out of curiosity, where are you vendors placing the drain hole? Just in case I hypothetically have to place my own....
Again, it's not something we're doing yet. But the drain holes I've seen have been placed just inside of where the brake track would be - inside of the tire bed but placed such that the hole is as low in the rim cavity as possible when the hole is at 6 o'clock.
Whether anyone chooses to use rims not specifically made/designed for tubeless is up to them. There's plenty of precedent for doing it, but it's something that the user takes responsibility for.
Likes For November Dave:
Old 10-22-20, 09:53 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
FWIW, I have that same wheelset in 38mm depth. I've got about 500 miles on them an no complaints, other than the rear hub being super loud.

I was also wondering about tubeless on them, and I think this thread confirmed that I will stick with tubes.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-22-20, 09:56 AM
Nixhex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
FWIW, I have that same wheelset in 38mm depth. I've got about 500 miles on them an no complaints, other than the rear hub being super loud.

I was also wondering about tubeless on them, and I think this thread confirmed that I will stick with tubes.
Yea dude, the rear hub is loud as hell! I use it as sort of a horn to let slower riders know I need to pass, lol. Also, yea, it seems like tubeless may not be the way to go on these....
Old 10-22-20, 10:15 AM
jockstick

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
To be fair, one guy in the Q&A says it's not "tubeless compatible", however several other people comment stating they are running them tubeless. Regarding carbon tubeless wheels, yea, I didn't know that at the time. Do you know if aluminum wheels can be converted to tubeless without being "tubeless ready/compatible"?
I’ve successfully done so with my old Mavic Ksyriums. Aluminum and carbon have very different material properties. Aluminum is uniformly strong in every direction whereas carbon is on strong in certain directions (think splitting wood along the grain). Therefore more intentional design is needed to make them tubeless.

See Roval’s new Rapide CLX. They intentionally made it non tubeless to save on weight.
Likes For jockstick:
Old 10-22-20, 10:19 AM
Nixhex

Originally Posted by jockstick
I’ve successfully done so with my old Mavic Ksyriums. Aluminum and carbon have very different material properties. Aluminum is uniformly strong in every direction whereas carbon is on strong in certain directions (think splitting wood along the grain). Therefore more intentional design is needed to make them tubeless.

See Roval’s new Rapide CLX. They intentionally made it non tubeless to save on weight.
Makes sense, just hadn't really thought about it.
Old 10-22-20, 10:35 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Oh, we're talkin' ghetto tubeless. Yeah, that's a horse of a different color. I'd stick with tubes.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-22-20, 11:30 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
$369 (shipping included) for tubeless, deep carbon wheels that failed after one month. Live and learn ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-22-20, 11:34 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
$369 (shipping included) for tubeless, deep carbon wheels that failed after one month. Live and learn ...
They're not marketed as tubeless compatible, from what has been reported in this thread.
Old 10-22-20, 11:36 AM
Nixhex

Hey, man, super helpful! Thanks for the reply!

But in all seriousness, there are many people running these with no issues. I have a hunch that it was my attempt at tubeless that did them in. But whether you want to blame that on the wheels or me, I'll leave up to you.
Old 10-22-20, 11:49 AM
tomato coupe

Hey, man, super helpful! Thanks for the reply!

But in all seriousness, there are many people running these with no issues. I have a hunch that it was my attempt at tubeless that did them in. But whether you want to blame that on the wheels or me, I'll leave up to you.
You find it offensive that I suggested that there is something to be learned from your experience?
Old 10-22-20, 11:55 AM
Nixhex

You find it offensive that I suggested that there is something to be learned from your experience?
Not outright. Just meeting sarcasm with more sarcasm. I think it would be a bit shortsighted to simply chalk this entire experience up as a loss based on the price of the wheel as these wheels are generally regarded as decent quality without many issues.

Though I do think learning from the experience is a good idea.
Likes For Nixhex:
Old 10-22-20, 02:31 PM
tomato coupe

Not outright. Just meeting sarcasm with more sarcasm.
My post was not meant to be sarcastic.
Old 10-22-20, 02:33 PM
Nixhex

My post was not meant to be sarcastic.
Well no harm, no foul. No bitterness on my part.
Likes For Nixhex:
Old 10-22-20, 04:42 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
So I had a set of Superteam 50mm wheels the same as yours. I had them on tubes for a month but wanted to run tubeless so started setting them up. When setting the beed I got to about 80 psi and the wheel literally exploded. They replaced it under warranty but shipping was like 100 bucks, it really wasn't all that much of a replacement lol. I ended up setting them up with tubes again and sold the bike without riding them after that. I have FFWD and Reynolds wheels now and I would never go back to Superteam wheels but that is just me. I found out the hard way that I don't want cheap wheels on my bikes.
Old 10-22-20, 07:28 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
I'd really like to see a photo of the failure.

And +1 on drain holes. I live in a tropical climate so I have always put drain holes on all my carbon rims. It's never been an issue.

Old 10-23-20, 07:23 AM
Nixhex

Originally Posted by InvertedMP
So I had a set of Superteam 50mm wheels the same as yours. I had them on tubes for a month but wanted to run tubeless so started setting them up. When setting the beed I got to about 80 psi and the wheel literally exploded. They replaced it under warranty but shipping was like 100 bucks, it really wasn't all that much of a replacement lol. I ended up setting them up with tubes again and sold the bike without riding them after that. I have FFWD and Reynolds wheels now and I would never go back to Superteam wheels but that is just me. I found out the hard way that I don't want cheap wheels on my bikes.
At the very least it sounds like these superteams shouldn't be run tubeless.... But yea, I believe I'll be going back to my plain jane aluminum wheels and selling these Superteams once I get the replacement.

I finally was able to get some pictures last night. It's a really small crank, but it does appear to be between the layup that makes up the inner portion and the wall of the wheel, so I'm inclined to agree with November Dave's theory.

Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
And +1 on drain holes. I live in a tropical climate so I have always put drain holes on all my carbon rims. It's never been an issue.
Bob, are you drilling the drain holes yourself? If so, what size, and where on the rim?

Last edited by Nixhex; 10-23-20 at 08:09 AM.
Likes For Nixhex:
Old 10-23-20, 08:37 AM
WhyFi

It's kind of hard to see, but that doesn't look like the profile of a tubeless compatible rim. If the rim bed doesn't have a well running down the middle of the rim bed, and clearly defined shoulders above, there's no way I'd attempt to run them tubeless.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-23-20, 08:43 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
It's kind of hard to see, but that doesn't look like the profile of a tubeless compatible rim. If the rim bed doesn't have a well running down the middle of the rim bed, and clearly defined shoulders above, there's no way I'd attempt to run them tubeless.
+1

definitely doesn’t look like a tubeless rim.
Old 10-23-20, 08:44 AM
Nixhex

I certainly wont be trying these again tubeless. That said, isn't Stan's entire business based on converting any old rim to tubeless with just some tape and sealant? Specifically I have a set of nicer aluminum wheels I'd like to try tubeless on.

Last edited by Nixhex; 10-23-20 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-23-20, 08:53 AM
WhyFi

That said, isn't Stan's entire business based on converting any old rim to tubeless with just some tape and sealant?
No. Also, Stan's is primarily suitable for MTB, I wouldn't recommend looking to them for road tubeless.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-23-20, 09:32 AM
WhyFi

I certainly wont be trying these again tubeless. That said, isn't Stan's entire business based on converting any old rim to tubeless with just some tape and sealant? Specifically I have a set of nicer aluminum wheels I'd like to try tubeless on.
See previous -

If the rim bed doesn't have a well running down the middle of the rim bed, and clearly defined shoulders above, there's no way I'd attempt to run them tubeless.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-23-20, 10:56 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

That's could also be a flow issue.

Depending on how they fold or end the prepreg at that lip, it can be difficult to get a good flow to the very edge of the rim. This can be caused by drifting in the mold, temp/time not being managed right or the layup itself.

We saw this happen A LOT from one vendor who changed to higher TQ resins but hadn't learned how to manage the bake, quite yet.

Last edited by Bob Dopolina; 10-23-20 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-23-20, 11:01 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bob, are you drilling the drain holes yourself? If so, what size, and where on the rim?
Yes, I just hand drill them myself with my trusty Dremel. I can't remember what size the bit is (I've used the same one for years). A 1mm hole certainly would be a good start (but you could start smaller and work up if you needed to). There's no way that would impact the rim structure but it helps with drainage. I drill 2 at opposite sides of the rim, as close to the rim bed as possible,

Last edited by Bob Dopolina; 10-23-20 at 11:04 PM.
Likes For Bob Dopolina:
Old 10-24-20, 12:53 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Doesn't look like tubeless rim tape either?
Old 10-24-20, 02:41 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
I use the tape that was in there based on an answer in the "questions" stating it was tubeless tape. However, I'm pretty sure that is not the case now.... That said, if the only difference between me and a compromised wheel is the seal between tape and wheel, I think I may bail and run clinchers.
Yeah, those wheels are NOT tubeless comparable and I would not use them without a tube. Honesty, it is pretty good of them to warranty them under the circumstance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.