Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tube Quality

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tube Quality

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-12, 12:48 PM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tube Quality

I was curious if anyone has ever done a test with tubes to evaluate tube quality (one versus the other).

And curious if there are brands of tubes to stay away from or ones that are high quality rubber.
Old 09-16-12, 04:38 PM
Steve530

Bikes: Klein

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess it depends on your idea of quality.

Personally, I like unthreaded stems, so I use Michelin AirComp and Specialized Ultra Lite. Both of these seem to have a consistent cross-sectional diameter when inflated out of the tire. I figure this means that the thickness if the wall and the elasticity of the material is consistent. If you don't mind threaded stems, Continental tubes also seem to be consistent. I'm not sure this is important, but it makes me happy.

I did try a store brand once. Four of the 6 tubes failed at the stem. Two of them failed before I got them inflated. These were highly recommended, so I guess I got a bad batch. I'm just glad I didn't rely on them as spares.

YMMV.
Old 09-16-12, 09:57 PM
veggie
certified vegetarian

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, 1988 Cannondale SR2000, 1994 Bridgestone XO-4, 1998 Bianchi Sam Remo, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 2009 Soma Rush, 2012 Surly Crosscheck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most tubes are made by kenda anyways
Old 09-16-12, 11:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
I was curious if anyone has ever done a test with tubes to evaluate tube quality (one versus the other).

And curious if there are brands of tubes to stay away from or ones that are high quality rubber.
It's hard to test quality with a very large base. But over the years importers and distributors of tubes have been able to draw conclusions based ot the return rate for defectives. The problem is that very few tubes are sold under the maker's brand names. Companies like Kenda, Cheng Shin & IRC who produce tires and tubes and sell under their own brands are the exception.

The vast majority of tubes are made by factory X, Y or Z, using an importer's label, like Trek, Specialized, Pyramid, etc. and it's impossible to know where and by who they were actually made. Moreover, the importer may change suppliers at any time, because of quality issues, or to get a lower price.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.