Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cross Check or Long Haul Trucker for 2 day 160 mile ride????

Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-13, 11:21 AM
leeinmemphis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey everyone,

I just signed up for a two day 160 mile ride so I now have to figure out which bike to ride for it. I have a few bikes but I think it comes down to either the cross check or long haul trucker. I was getting ready to sell the long haul trucker but now wondering if I shouldn't at least keep it through until after this ride. I have a cross check with 700x38 with a 3x9 set up and my LHT is 700x32 with a 2x9 set up. It's fully supported so only need to carry consumables and repair items on the bike. Just curious what those with experience in longer rides would choose to ride with all the info presented? The terrain will be rolling hills(hillier than here) and I will be riding solo in the ride(1 of 150 others but by myself). Any info is appreciated.
Old 01-28-13, 11:58 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Hard for us to say. Go ride an 80 miler on one of them this weekend and report back. (I see a high of 56 degrees and no chance of rain this Sunday for Memphis.)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-28-13, 12:36 PM
hamster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it 100% paved? Then I'd suspect that 700x38 would be a handicap.
Old 01-28-13, 01:39 PM
leeinmemphis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm just now getting back into it and am not ready for 80 miler just yet so that's why I'm asking. This week is my first week back since before October of last year. I had back surgery so I'm going to be putting in base mileage for the next couple of months. Yes it is all paved and fully supported so I'm not too terribly worried about having to be self supported.
Old 01-28-13, 01:48 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
sell the LHT
Old 01-28-13, 02:22 PM
jcmkk3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would go with the Cross Check. Try to dial in your fitment. Possibly think about going with some slightly smaller (32c) tires that are very supple, though tire size is a personal preference.
Old 01-28-13, 03:12 PM
ks1g
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whichever bike is more comfortable for 2 back to back days in the saddle; saddle/fit mods if necessary beforehand. Followed by whichever is lighter/has better gearing for climbing if there are a lot of hills. Guessing the x-check is the lighter bike. Consider replacing the 38s with something better-suited to the route especially if it is all or mostly paved. Since ride is supported, you don't need substantial carrying capacity.
Old 01-28-13, 08:05 PM
leeinmemphis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ks1g
Whichever bike is more comfortable for 2 back to back days in the saddle; saddle/fit mods if necessary beforehand. Followed by whichever is lighter/has better gearing for climbing if there are a lot of hills. Guessing the x-check is the lighter bike. Consider replacing the 38s with something better-suited to the route especially if it is all or mostly paved. Since ride is supported, you don't need substantial carrying capacity.
funny you mention that because I was fitted on the CC just last week. I love the bike so much that it's questioning whether I should keep the LHT. I keep wondering if I'll feel the same way if I get fitted on it as well.......
Old 01-28-13, 10:30 PM
stevage

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Out of curiosity - how did you end up with a CC triple and a LHT double? I've always seen them the other way around (except for one friend who bought a CC and eventually switched to a triple). The idea of a double on a touring bike is particularly odd... (to me)

Since I'm an expert now (one audax!), I'd say take the lightest bike that you'll be comfortable on for that period of time. So probably the CC.
Old 01-28-13, 10:56 PM
leeinmemphis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I purchased both of them used. I bought the LHT first and the CC shortly after. I believe both bikes were built up out of a mix of parts. If I had bought the CC first I doubt I would have ever bought the LHT. Even with that said the LHT is still a nice ride. I keep waffling back and forth about the LHT. There is alot of cross over between the two bikes I guess that's why it's hard for me to totally let it go.

Originally Posted by stevage
Out of curiosity - how did you end up with a CC triple and a LHT double? I've always seen them the other way around (except for one friend who bought a CC and eventually switched to a triple). The idea of a double on a touring bike is particularly odd... (to me)

Since I'm an expert now (one audax!), I'd say take the lightest bike that you'll be comfortable on for that period of time. So probably the CC.
Old 01-29-13, 09:34 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't you have a road bike?
Old 01-29-13, 10:24 AM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you don't have to carry anything, it makes little sense to use a bike designed for carrying things (LHT).

Put some more appropriate tires on the cross check.
Old 01-29-13, 12:51 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
If you don't have to carry anything, it makes little sense to use a bike designed for carrying things (LHT).

Put some more appropriate tires on the cross check.
Or just try a few rides with the wheels and tires swapped -- put the skinny tires on the CC, and see how it rolls.
Old 01-29-13, 10:04 PM
leeinmemphis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Or just try a few rides with the wheels and tires swapped -- put the skinny tires on the CC, and see how it rolls.
I've decided to keep the wheels off of the LHT and part the rest of the bike out. I VERY pleased with my CC so much so that I doubt I'll ever really give the LHT the attention it deserves. Plus I really have no true unsupported long distance/touring rides planned.
Old 01-30-13, 07:02 AM
hairytoes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leeinmemphis
... I had back surgery ....
The most comfortable bike, that puts the least strain on your back. Only you know which one that is.

80 miles per day isn't a race. Speed won't matter. Comfort will, particularly if you are recovering from back problems.